Frenchwoman deported for vaping

snoop1130

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

The most ridiculous thing in a surreal story is that vaping is generally regarded as near harmless, whereas smoking we know to be lethal.  Thailand looks increasingly foolish as well as corrupt.

Near harmless?

Tell that to this guy: 

https://www.fofy.com/exploding-e-cigarette-killed-florida-man-police-says/?utm_medium=2&utm_source=1

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/28/2019 at 8:36 AM, Spock said:

I was considering carrying an unused herbal vaporiser (can be used for weed) into Cambodia probably via Thailand. The body would have to be carried in hand cabin luggage due to the lithium battery. This is not a e-cigarette nor designed to be used with nicotine but I wonder how it would be viewed by Thai or Cambodian immigration is detected. Not sure on the legality of these types of vaporisers if brand new and not used. 

WHAT do you think will happen, as long as the police confiscate brand new vaporisers at markets around TH, and give HEAVY fines to the sellers...???

1 hour ago, simtemple said:

Sad case, but he'd been tampering with it, which is somewhat akin to creating a pipe bomb.  Stack batteries in your mobile phone and see what happens.  You need to read more thoroughly: 

'However, in contrast to common E-Cigarettes, the vape pen which Me D’Elia was using at the time of his death was modified. 'It means that it allowed its user expanded access to the battery and wasn’t regulating its voltage in the same manner as other vape pens.'

I was in any case referring to the health effects vaping vs smoking as you well know.

4 hours ago, LobsterBoston1980 said:

even B20k is still a ridiculously big fine just for vaping out in the open.

It is illegal. Banned . 20 000 is too much ? No problem pay 240 000 that’s better right?

2 hours ago, BestB said:

It is illegal. Banned . 20 000 is too much ? No problem pay 240 000 that’s better right?

Either amount would be ridiculous. But 20000 was never offered, it's only entered this thread as a hypothetical. 

This is the first notice for me that these e-cigs are banned, which in my eyes is

amazing if that is true and in action since 2557 in fact I would never have thinked

about this and that illusion is kept by seeing people vaping there and here, a big white

cloud rises up time by time.

That 40.000thb is shocking high too, even for a tourist. A 500thb and a warning

and she should be done with it during her stay.

7 hours ago, mommysboy said:

The most ridiculous thing in a surreal story is that vaping is generally regarded as near harmless, whereas smoking we know to be lethal.  Thailand looks increasingly foolish as well as corrupt.

As you say-it is a surreal story..tho' not as half as Gothic as many of the posts on this thread.

Edgar Allan Poe must be turning in his grave and-as another poster has already pointed out-Mark Twain would be loudly discoursing about idiots.

3 hours ago, donim said:

This is the first notice for me that these e-cigs are banned, which in my eyes is

amazing if that is true and in action since 2557 in fact I would never have thinked

about this and that illusion is kept by seeing people vaping there and here, a big white

cloud rises up time by time.

That 40.000thb is shocking high too, even for a tourist. A 500thb and a warning

and she should be done with it during her stay.

Another bizarre thing is that you are not charged with the offence since vaping is not illegal: you are prosecuted for a trumped up charge of illegal importation and tax evasion.

4 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Either amount would be ridiculous. But 20000 was never offered, it's only entered this thread as a hypothetical. 

Police does not make offers. Person caught makes offers called negotiating.

20000 would have been easily negotiated , perhaps even less 

6 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Another bizarre thing is that you are not charged with the offence since vaping is not illegal: you are prosecuted for a trumped up charge of illegal importation and tax evasion.

Good luck arguing this point . Actual Vaping process is not illegal but possession of a vape equipment and ejuice is.

Not too long ago , some top notch lawyer also interpreted law saying vaping is not actually illegal but possessing equipment is and perhaps with this lawyer or another good lawyer you win your case and get a slap on the wrist , but the big problem is with this or any other lawyer would charge double if not triple of what police “asking” 

so stick to principles and win but loose a tonne of cash or swallow your pride and negotiate . 

4 hours ago, BestB said:

Police does not make offers. Person caught makes offers called negotiating.

20000 would have been easily negotiated , perhaps even less 

Police did make an offer, of 40000. How people go on defending the indefensible is beyond me. But Thailand is the loser in all this, as it receives yet more embarrassing publicity. Wonder how long before Phuket gets an official nickname, like Koh Tao has become Death Island... maybe Isla Payola? 

On 2/24/2019 at 6:10 PM, puukao said:

I have a feeling....

there will come a time when all foreigner accounts are frozen, money taken and never to be returned.  

3 million times hundreds of thousands of farangs......

I often seen the French in action when something dont go their way. 

Things get very heated.

Id say some choice words and attitude were added on her part.

I got stopped with a vapouriser myself last year, cost me 500baht on the spot and they coviscated the offending implemement.

but then again i did not mouth off and speaking polite Thai could of helped.

Agro does not work with Thai cops, best to be quiet, apologetic and play dumb.

but this she found out the hard way

i guess for her she got.. aced...

game...farangset...and match!!!

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Police did make an offer, of 40000. How people go on defending the indefensible is beyond me. But Thailand is the loser in all this, as it receives yet more embarrassing publicity. Wonder how long before Phuket gets an official nickname, like Koh Tao has become Death Island... maybe Isla Payola? 

Police did not make an offer. Police stated what the fine was( in their opinion) Then it’s up to a person to accept it or to negotiate or to decline

40000 is not an outrages out of the blue amount. This is the amount police generally aaks according to a number of reports out there and not only in Phuket.

not too long ago in Pattaya a Russian couple was asked for 100 000 , which they refused, so were arrested and outcome of the story unknown .

not saying it’s correct amount for vaping, just saying this is the amount they start with. 

Those who who did pay, usually say around 10-20k 

19 minutes ago, BestB said:

Police did not make an offer. Police stated what the fine was( in their opinion) 

Who's hat did they pull that opinion out of? A short time back, an official comment cited the fine at 6800 baht for an individual, and 12000 if selling them. Oh sorry, forgot to mention - that's the fine per carton

https://www.vapingpost.com/2018/11/13/thailand-warns-against-bringing-vaping-products-into-the-country/

16 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Who's hat did they pull that opinion out of? A short time back, an official comment cited the fine at 6800 baht for an individual, and 12000 if selling them. Oh sorry, forgot to mention - that's the fine per carton

https://www.vapingpost.com/2018/11/13/thailand-warns-against-bringing-vaping-products-into-the-country/

Which part of in their opinion did you struggle with?

Penalties are up to ten years in Thai Prison and fines of up to four times the cost of the device and liquids, which could lead to immense fines. The average individual caught with vaping equipment or vaping in public has reported to the Excise Department and their Embassies fines between 20,000 to 50,000 baht.

https://www.pattayatoday.net/current-future-status-vaping/

9 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Off you go..you should be comforted to know that you gave it your best shot.So should the rest of your colleagues..

But in the immortal words of Kenny Rogers.."You gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em."

Thai's are utterly lacking in that ability.

Heard you loud and clear and still believe you should cut back on medication as adverse reaction intensifying 

20 minutes ago, BestB said:

Which part of in their opinion did you struggle with?

Penalties are up to ten years in Thai Prison and fines of up to four times the cost of the device and liquids, which could lead to immense fines. The average individual caught with vaping equipment or vaping in public has reported to the Excise Department and their Embassies fines between 20,000 to 50,000 baht.

Four times the amount of a device that costs a few dollars - was her vape diamond encrusted? We also have @tingtongtourist just above who paid a measly 500 for the same offence (probably four times the true cost of the vape).

This is an institutionalised scam, not dissimilar to the jetski scammers who demanded similar amounts before their racketeering got knocked on the head. Amazed any educated westerner could even try to defend it. 

1 minute ago, lamyai3 said:

Four times the amount of a device that costs a few dollars - was her vape diamond encrusted? We also have @tingtongtourist just above who paid a measly 500 for the same offence (probably four times the true cost of the vape).

This is an institutionalised scam, not dissimilar to the jetski scammers who demanded similar amounts before their racketeering got knocked on the head. Amazed any educated westerner could even try to defend it. 

Firstly mods retail for 2-5000 baht, secondly it’s clearly stated reported fines of 20 to 50

how and why you would continue to argue utter nonsense is beyond me

7 minutes ago, BestB said:

Firstly mods retail for 2-5000 baht, secondly it’s clearly stated reported fines of 20 to 50

how and why you would continue to argue utter nonsense is beyond me

If it's anything like the device in the photo in the OP, she got busted for a cheap heat cigarette.

The reported "fines" of 20000 to 50000, were reported by the individuals in question to their embassies, no doubt in complaints they'd made. You're not seriously trying to flip this around to legitimate these bribes as the correct fines? 

12 hours ago, BestB said:

Good luck arguing this point . Actual Vaping process is not illegal but possession of a vape equipment and ejuice is.

Not too long ago , some top notch lawyer also interpreted law saying vaping is not actually illegal but possessing equipment is and perhaps with this lawyer or another good lawyer you win your case and get a slap on the wrist , but the big problem is with this or any other lawyer would charge double if not triple of what police “asking” 

so stick to principles and win but loose a tonne of cash or swallow your pride and negotiate . 

You read a lot in to a simple statement, which also happens to be accurate.  Yes, possession is illegal, but not because of vaping, rather for smuggling/tax evasion.

I would've negotiated- better that than a court case or deportation.  I doubt I would have been caught in the first case though.

But even 20,000 (a figure you have invented) is surely out of all proportion for a minor misdemeanor.  Take a kid caught for drugs: his parents will pay about 6000 baht to spring him from chokey.

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

You read a lot in to a simple statement, which also happens to be accurate.  Yes, possession is illegal, but not because of vaping, rather for smuggling/tax evasion.

I would've negotiated- better that than a court case or deportation.  I doubt I would have been caught in the first case though.

But even 20,000 (a figure you have invented) is surely out of all proportion for a minor misdemeanor.  Take a kid caught for drugs: his parents will pay about 6000 baht to spring him from chokey.

Precisely the point, she should have negotiated .

20000 is the lowest number from reported cases, if you can do better then good on you.

but moral remains to negotiate instead of refusing to pay.

not too sure about kids being caught for drugs but adults pay little more than 6000. One of my staff coughed up 30000 and he only had purple test , nothing on him.

15 minutes ago, BestB said:

Precisely the point, she should have negotiated .

20000 is the lowest number from reported cases, if you can do better then good on you.

but moral remains to negotiate instead of refusing to pay.

not too sure about kids being caught for drugs but adults pay little more than 6000. One of my staff coughed up 30000 and he only had purple test , nothing on him.

..and the insanity continues-welcome to Thailand.

I would guess that any prospective tourist  reading both yours and some of the other utterly irrational posters here would be booking a trip to New Caledonia instead.

Only the desperate sex tourists and herds of Chinese left..altho' one could sell a sojourn in a Thai prison as a different and mind altering "survivor" experience-not for the fainthearted,I suspect.

5 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

I often seen the French in action when something dont go their way. 

Things get very heated.

Id say some choice words and attitude were added on her part.

I got stopped with a vapouriser myself last year, cost me 500baht on the spot and they coviscated the offending implemement.

but then again i did not mouth off and speaking polite Thai could of helped.

Agro does not work with Thai cops, best to be quiet, apologetic and play dumb.

but this she found out the hard way 

i guess for her she got.. aced...

game...farangset...and match!!!

This statement is exactly one of the off things here, the police are here to enforce the law and give a fine, if called for. Not for patronizing macho behavior to citizens or tourists. The penalty is the fine, nothing more. Its uncalled for the policy to then take it on themselves to bully up unless the person becomes violent or outright insulting. The French are not off, nor anybody else, for resisting this often rogue behavior by then on top, corrupt officials.  Upcoming Thai elections will be most interesting to see if the Thai people at once stand up to increasing militaristic behavior, dictating and lecturing through force its citizens. Its the few people which stand up and resist the elites and those in power, at least sometimes, which make la difference.

On 2/28/2019 at 9:38 AM, SS1 said:

It's even been said in an official statement in Thai TV by a high ranking police officer that possession of vaping gear is legal, but importation and sales are illegal. 

Then we can ask: HOW was it possible to put an famous Thai TV star in monkey house, after police found vaping gear in her car at an checkpoint at Sukhumvit a few months ago, which made big headlines? 

On 2/28/2019 at 11:40 AM, lkv said:

Last time I enquired (2 years ago) with a Thai friend, it was more like 6K baht for Thai and 15K baht for foreigners.

Prices may have increased since then due to "inflation".

Yupp, now it is 20K for Thais AND farangs...

Archived