Frenchwoman deported for vaping

snoop1130

1 minute ago, BestB said:
5 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

She went to court and paid her 827 baht.
Why was she deported?
Can you get deported for getting wheel
clamped?

Most likely visa overstay, but as you can see all experts are too busy bashing Thailand .

fine was minimal, indicating court was not bothered , but as I said earlier , because police took her passport , very possible she was on overstay by the time court ruled. 

Which would make much more sense... 

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

NOTE;  

SHE CLAIMS

please tell me when thailand was broke or when ( expect year after Tsunami) the tourists stopped coming here?

A country being 'broke' is a nebulous concept. However, in late Autumn 1997, foreign exchange reserves were almost totally depleted as result of a run on the Baht, two thirds of brokerage houses went 'broke' and several of the smaller banks had to be rescued or sold to overseas interests subsequently, and unemployment went through the roof as a result. That comes pretty close to the definition of being 'broke'. I was here and the company I worked for went bankrupt. It happens to the nicest of people.

16 hours ago, tifino said:

...they know nothing zbout her 8000€ problems... well it was nothing to do with them, that she probably had to purchase new tickets, assuming her airline ticketing  agreement has no date chsnges no transfers... 

Not their problem.

Well it is their fault for causing this BS to her. Innocent person trying to enjoy her family holiday.. Thailand never stops to amaze.. 

14 hours ago, buick said:

as a reminder to all, if you are at a police station in thailand and are offered the opportunity to pay a fine and leave the station, pay the fine.  no matter how outrageous it might seem.  you may feel you've done nothing wrong but you are in the police station and likely are not leaving unless the fine is paid. 

i'm trying to figure why she chose to pay bail (which was supposedly returned to her) and stay for a court date, rather than pay the 40,000thb.  she was going to have to pay for lodging, food, etc... while she waited for the court date plus miss her flight.  so likely pay at least 40,000thb just to make the court date and get a new flight.  in many cases people don't have the money to pay the fine, but it appears she (and/or the family) had the money.  i don't understand the analysis on her part.

40k for having an electric cigarette is outrageous. It's normally less even for cocaine possession. It's even been said in an official statement in Thai TV by a high ranking police officer that possession of vaping gear is legal, but importation and sales are illegal. 

I'm glad she refused to pay the scumbag cops this time and it made the news. Now the whole world can laugh at Thailand again. 

Just now, ZAKY said:

Arrest, jail, fine and deportation for a cigarette? What is wrong with ecigs? Is it more dangerous than driving without a licence? How about cannabis? 

It is the law, like it or not. 

As for the story, I suspect as usual a combination of un-joined-up thinking, poor language skills and only-half-the-story-ism have combined to give joy to multitudes of TV punters over their liquid breakfasts.

2 minutes ago, Splash210 said:

All these Thai college students using vapes on campus but they arrest the foreigner? But yet people complain that the foreigners get away with everything. ????

Only Thai college students have enough brain cells to do it discretely not in front of police officers. And when caught negotiate “penalty” instead of refusing to pay any for something which is against the law.

she refused to pay, ended up paying much less in court fine but triple that in legal and other fees.

5 minutes ago, Splash210 said:

All these Thai college students using vapes on campus but they arrest the foreigner? But yet people complain that the foreigners get away with everything. ????

Campus is private property, police don't have permission to enter to run scams.

Public roads, it's different.

12 minutes ago, SS1 said:

Well it is their fault for causing this BS to her. Innocent person trying to enjoy her family holiday.. Thailand never stops to amaze.. 

40k for having an electric cigarette is outrageous. It's normally less even for cocaine possession. It's even been said in an official statement in Thai TV by a high ranking police officer that possession of vaping gear is legal, but importation and sales are illegal. 

I'm glad she refused to pay the scumbag cops this time and it made the news. Now the whole world can laugh at Thailand again. 

It was never a statement by high ranking cop .

it was an interpretation of the law by big shot lawyer who said law does not prohibit vaping, but does prohibit sale or importation .

court fine of 800 baht proved it , but her legal fees and trouble proved that sticking to principes does not pay in Thailand 

Obviously they got the title wrong.  It should be "French woman deported for refusing to give bribe to police."  But as far as being deported for violating Thai law, there is nothing wrong with that in my opinion.  It would be nice if Thai police though would not accept bribes, then we could all take this seriously. 

Only Thai college students have enough brain cells to do it discretely not in front of police officers. And when caught negotiate “penalty” instead of refusing to pay any for something which is against the law.

she refused to pay, ended up paying much less in court fine but triple that in legal and other fees.
So you mean to tell me that foreigners get an equal fare shake? There are police officers on campus. They have the right to arrest them if they wanted to but they dont. Just like how they pull you over for not wearing a helmet on a motorbike, but a Thai family of 6 caring groceries on a motorbike, while the kids are standing on top of their shoulders riding around with no helmet get a pass.

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Campus is private property, police don't have permission to enter to run scams.
Public roads, it's different.
So you mean to tell me that foreigners get an equal fare shake? There are police officers on campus. They have the right to arrest them if they wanted to but they dont. Just like how they pull you over for not wearing a helmet on a motorbike, but a Thai family of 6 caring groceries on a motorbike, while the kids are standing on top of their shoulders riding around with no helmet get a pass.

2 minutes ago, Splash210 said:

Are you deliberately not understanding?

Vape arrests are a scam, like helmet checks, cigarette butt littering, etc.

The police need permission to operate scams on private land.

They aren't enforcing any laws, they don't care about enforcing laws, they do care about making money.

The cops on Thailand are the laziest of laziest! I'm in Bangkok today.... Check points here just like Chaing Mai.. It's a money maker. Their lazy ass stand there and wave people to stop. In 5 years... I've NEVER seen a patrol car. Never seen a cop with a radar gun.. Zero law enforcement of speed.. Lane changing... And overall stupid driving. The cops probably don't know how to drive themselves! Arrested for an  E. Cigarette. Simply pathetic. 

25 minutes ago, BestB said:

Most likely visa overstay, but as you can see all experts are too busy bashing Thailand .

fine was minimal, indicating court was not bothered , but as I said earlier , because police took her passport , very possible she was on overstay by the time court ruled. 

Believe it or not there are processes in place for persons to extend visas whilst on bail!

It was some time ago when someone I knew was busted for cannabis possession. I went to the Court with him where they gave him a letter enabling him to go to the Police Station to reclaim his passport in order to go to Immigration to get the relevant extension. Yes, his passport was simply handed back to him along with an instruction to return the passport to the police station once the extension had been approved by Immigration. He seriously considered packing his bags and going to the nearest land border but decided in the end to play it by the book - just in case he was on the Immigration database. So off to Immigration, a payment of 1900 baht and a special extension of the 30 day stamp was granted. 

I have no idea if the system is still the same but simply handing back the passport does seem to be a little lax!

Final outcome: 10,000 baht fine and deportation.

Are you deliberately not understanding?
Vape arrests are a scam, like helmet checks, cigarette butt littering, etc.
The police need permission to operate scams on private land.
Why is it always a foreigner standing up for Thais to another foreigner? [emoji849][emoji58] And thanks for pointing that out Captain Obvious we already know that [emoji23] #duh

11 minutes ago, Splash210 said:

Yes when it comes to vaping . There was a Thai internet idol of a kind, got arrested , made big news. 

And also a myth of police check points allowing Thai with no helmet but stopping foreigners.

there are by far more police check points in Thai areas than in touristy zones. 

5 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Believe it or not there are processes in place for persons to extend visas whilst on bail!

It was some time ago when someone I knew was busted for cannabis possession. I went to the Court with him where they gave him a letter enabling him to go to the Police Station to reclaim his passport in order to go to Immigration to get the relevant extension. Yes, his passport was simply handed back to him along with an instruction to return the passport to the police station once the extension had been approved by Immigration. He seriously considered packing his bags and going to the nearest land border but decided in the end to play it by the book - just in case he was on the Immigration database. So off to Immigration, a payment of 1900 baht and a special extension of the 30 day stamp was granted. 

I have no idea if the system is still the same but simply handing back the passport does seem to be a little lax!

Final outcome: 10,000 baht fine and deportation.

I am well aware of that , but you assuming she was, which is highly unlikely.

it makes perfect sense that of you are out on bail or awaiting for court hearing for your visa to be automatically extended as it is out of your control , but in Thailand it does not work this way. 

Not saying what is right or wrong , all I am saying is that reason for deportation is most likely visa overstay not the vaping 

Yes when it comes to vaping . There was a Thai internet idol of a kind, got arrested , made big news. 

And also a myth of police check points allowing Thai with no helmet but stopping foreigners.

there are by far more police check points in Thai areas than in touristy zones. 
Everything you just said is a lie!

45 minutes ago, BestB said:

Only vape is not “drugs”

Tell it to the judge. Or more accurately the policeman imposing the "fine".

You may have a good argument, but as far as the police, and Thai law, are concerned, it's considered a recreational drug and is treated as such.

Hence my jibe about the semi-moronic people who want to dispute this law, or flaunt it in public, based on want they think the law should be.

This is not a good country for a foreigner to run a crusade against perceived injustices.

It is what it is, and no incensed Thaivisa poster is going to change anything!

Archived