Frenchwoman deported for vaping

snoop1130

18 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

NOTE;  

SHE CLAIMS

please tell me when thailand was broke or when ( expect year after Tsunami) the tourists stopped coming here?

I try to follow the law in Thailand so have little sympathy for those who don't.

Next people will say that because you hear of thievery that it must be okay.

Wrong is always wrong no matter how many are doing it.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel sorry for this lady

Vaping is only banned here to protect the tobacco monopoly, although i see many Thais doing it openly daily

It will certainly hit the news overseas  making Thailand seem even more stupid 

This military led and run and controlled government which bans all opposition  seems intent on taking the country back to the dark ages!

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If they made Caffeine would you not think it ridiculous???

This is similar - Vaping is widely accepted in the majority of countries and there no logical argument for banning it other than Thailand is not yet set up to find a way to Tax its use. 

It is highly highly Vaping and E-Cigs will be made legal in Thailand in the coming years.... would you then think the old law is not ridiculous then?

Your argument 'Law is Law' is blindly naive and it stupidly attempts to kneecap common sense and intelligent thought - The Law in this case is ridiculous. 

5555 only because a law seems to be Rediculous to you it's not necessary to follow???? 

Can't you see how ridiculous your reply is???? 

So you would cross a junction even a red light would show to stop? 

I reckon you should think about it again or see a doc. 

41 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

She's being deported for refusing to pay a bribe.

Of course! Almost no doubt about it!  Maybe on top of it with legitimately losing a little her temper and that's it.  

The madness has started, but what is completely beyond me is the deportation.

8 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Answer of the French ambassador I guess: rrrr rrrr rrrr ( snoring) :clap2:

How on earth any tourists, could know, guess that something practised by tens of thousands of people in their own country, sold legally in thousands of places,  sometimes adviced by their own physician to help them quit smoking could in this country create them the same troubles as a criminal. If it's not a crazy story I do not know what my name is. I hope it will be in the headline not only in the French newspapers but also many Europeans one, because too much is too much, a warning with possible confiscation of the device was the only acceptable answer the rest is total and scandalous delirium!

No, it's not. If you don't like Thailand's laws you are free to look for another destination 

Just now, Billthekiwi said:

I try to follow the law in Thailand so have little sympathy for those who don't.

No.. thats a moronic argument....   Vaping (in open air) harms or impacts no one. 

Your attempt to make the comparison with theft shows a complete a total lack of intellectual reasoning on your part. 

Trying to follow the law: Fair enough we all do - but when someone is unaware of the law or a regulation which does not exist in many other countries it's quite resonable to relate, sympathise and recognise that the law in this case is downright daft and that a Policeman was using a poorly known regulation to extort tourists. 

Until recently I was unaware that it was illegal to drink a beer in a Taxi in Thailand - this was recently used to extort money from a Westerner. 

Both regulations / laws are protecting no one.

Its ok to see a regulation or a law and recognise that its idiotic... it is really, its ok to see something and not blindly agree with it. Although in the case of a law we should follow it. 

5 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

5555 only because a law seems to be Rediculous to you it's not necessary to follow???? 

Another ridiculous analogy....

3 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:
17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If they made Caffeine would you not think it ridiculous???

This is similar - Vaping is widely accepted in the majority of countries and there no logical argument for banning it other than Thailand is not yet set up to find a way to Tax its use. 

It is highly highly Vaping and E-Cigs will be made legal in Thailand in the coming years.... would you then think the old law is not ridiculous then?

Your argument 'Law is Law' is blindly naive and it stupidly attempts to kneecap common sense and intelligent thought - The Law in this case is ridiculous. 

No.. Thats what not I wrote (read again a couple of times if it helps)

I commented that the Law on Vaping and E-Cigs is ridiculous. 

I made no comment that we should not follow a law we disagree with. 

And you have used the comparison 'crossing a red light' a law which is widely understood to save lives Vs vaping...  

Please improve both your reading comprehension and argument before responding.... 

11 minutes ago, Billthekiwi said:

I very much doubt 2 things.

1. That you would continue to sing this tune if the cops extorted money from you.

2. That you fully understand the level of corruption and lawlessness of cops, particularly on Phuket. I know of one person who lost several million baht on a completely false allegation on Phuket and no lawyer on Phuket would touch it with a bargepole.

This makes your comment hypocritical and naive at best, smug and nasty at worst.

18 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And yet there are still vendors of them in markets all across the country. I understand that the law is the law, but this seems ridiculously excessive. Paying a nominal fine to the court, should have been the end of the matter, the deportation being to my mind unnecessary and over the top. I am pretty sure that will be another large number of potential tourists now going somewhere else instead. Amazing work Thailand! Shot yourself in the foot again.

Exactly, I wonder why they don't crack down on the Thai vendors of these products?  Two I know of are selling these things on-line.  Could it be coca cola money as they call it in Mexico?  What is supposed to be illegal about a vaporizer?  Embassy's should note this on their websites so people understand how anti-foreigner Thais have become over the last few years.

Complete over reaction to smoking... ridiculous.

They could have pulled her to one side, explained the law as it is in Thailand and tell her to put it away & smoke normal cigarettes or refrain altogether. Then let her go on her way.

But this is Thailand !!

goodbye thailand.

I just extended my tourist visa for 30 days and this is definitely my final extension. 

there is no point of planning retirement in the country with double standards, and double silly rules. 

Constantly looking over my shoulder

is not my retirement plan

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Hate to say this, but it's the bitter truth...

She would have been better off, financially and otherwise, if she had just paid the original alleged 40K bribe request....

Presumably, no court visit, no multi day stay in IDC, no deportation on her record, and probably no substantial extra travel expenses home, as presumably she could have kept her original return flight arrangements.

Not saying it's right. It isn't. Just saying, look at the result of her choice of standing up for herself.

On top of it, it is almost sure she could have negotiated the bribe maybe to ten thousand, with a lot of smiles and excuses like, in my country it is authorised so how could I know... but I understand you are doing your job... bla bla bla... I am respecting the law... so OK for ten thousand because now  I understand I 'm wrong bla bla again... but how on earth a tourist could behave like that? Almost im-po-ssi-ble!

8 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Your attitude is quite underwhelming and the irony displayed by your username is almost comical.

You must be TAT's secret subversive as you are about as welcoming as a cane toad with hemorrhoids

The problem is you can buy these under the table throughout Thailand but the police are doing nothing about it . Had this been a Chinese person I have to question if they would have been treated more compassionately after all we wouldn’t want to upset the apple cart would we . This story could have far reaching issues as many westerners now use these types of vapour rather than cigarettes maybe it’s time the Thai government woke up and legalised the sale of these vapours .

14 minutes ago, myshem said:

She is an idiot. She wanted to play cowboy and got punished. She could have paid 10000 and forget the story 10 minutes later. Even for weed many people are not deported but she managed to be just for ecig, hahaha, what a lamer !

So you support corruption do you ! Vapours are legal in most countries in the world . Thailand would it appears wish for its people to carry on smoking the cancer sticks because they make a lot of money from them by heavy taxation .

30 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Another ridiculous analogy....

It's Rediculous that you obviously want to have your own law in a foreign country. 

I admit you cannot see a sense in this law, however you would be well advised to follow existing laws if you want to stay here. 

The more i study the vaporizers the more i believe they should be illegal or at best prescription for current smokers.  For example JUUL the number one company in the usa is backed my marlboro and JUUL has been using a special salt nicotine blend that is ten times stronger than the normal.  Illegal is the way to go but not the way Thailand is doing it as laws here seem to be more created upon revenue flow such as the smoking or litter in public fines lol.

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

None of that explains the presumably ridiculous decision to process a tourist visitor for detention and deportation--after her court case was entirely resolved--based on an exceedingly minor offense.

FB, which the Thai police love to love, is full of Thais vaping to their heart's content before the whole world, and those folks aren't getting tracked down and arrested.

Individual vaping, it seems, is one of those offenses here that the police rarely decide to enforce, but when they do, it usually seems it's with the simple intent to extort or punish.

And let's not ignore the fact that, according to the story, she was holding it and not even using it.

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No.. Thats what not I wrote (read again a couple of times if it helps)

I commented that the Law on Vaping and E-Cigs is ridiculous. 

I made no comment that we should not follow a law we disagree with. 

And you have used the comparison 'crossing a red light' a law which is widely understood to save lives Vs vaping...  

Please improve both your reading comprehension and argument before responding.... 

It's a pity I have to make it more simple for you to inderstand :

e-cigarettes are forbidden! The reason why is not important. If you don't follow the law you have to face consequences. Easy as that, isn't it? 

6 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

It's Rediculous that you obviously want to have your own law in a foreign country. 

I admit you cannot see a sense in this law, however you would be well advised to follow existing laws if you want to stay here. 

I know English is not your first language (by the way you spell Ridiculous)... But can't you see from what everyone is writing that they are not suggesting anyone breaks the law, but are in recognition that the Law in this case is Ridiculous, it's flawed, it makes little sense.... 

They are not demanding our own foreign laws to be applied here, but would like to see a common sense approach to the laws already applied here. My Thai friends have exactly the same opinion on such daft laws - they are not attempting to impose foreign will, they would just like to see the application of common sense. 

19 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Your attitude is quite underwhelming and the irony displayed by your username is almost comical.

You must be TAT's secret subversive as you are about as welcoming as a cane toad with hemorrhoids

Sorry I'm not so good in this gutter language of yours. 

Please explain unless you want to show your lack of education and knowledge 

4 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

e-cigarettes are forbidden! The reason why is not important. If you don't follow the law you have to face consequences. Easy as that, isn't it? 

Why would you expect a tourist to know that it illegal to carry an e-cigarette in Thailand, when where she comes from and as far as I know in every other country in the world - certain;y in Europe - they are legal and indeed popular. But, as usual, Thailand has to be different.

8 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Your argument is simple enough to understand, as any intellectually challenged simplistic argument is... 

No one is suggesting that the Laws should not be followed. The Implication pressed my many on this thread is that the Law in this case is silly.... 

If you think it's a good law - thats fine...  you have presented your point. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I know English is not your first language (by the way you spell Ridiculous)... But can't you see from what everyone is writing that they are not suggesting anyone breaks the law, but are in recognition that the Law in this case is Ridiculous, it's flawed, it makes little sense.... 

They are not demanding our own foreign laws to be applied here, but would like to see a common sense approach to the laws already applied here. My Thai friends have exactly the same opinion on such daft laws - they are not attempting to impose foreign will, they would just like to see the application of common sense. 

Your common sense represents the smokers only obviously. 

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:
9 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Why would you expect a tourist to know that it illegal to carry an e-cigarette in Thailand, when where she comes from and as far as I know in every other country in the world - certain;y in Europe - they are legal and indeed popular. But, as usual, Thailand has to be different.

The Mark Twain quote springs to mind.... “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”  :coffee1:

Archived