22 y/o m moving to Chiang Mai

andehpandeh

Hello, 

My friend and I are moving to Chiang Mai as we have heard it is a good place for digital freelancers to live and I'm curious to hear your opinions on what neighborhood we should be looking at? We want to be in a suburban area as we'd like to have some quiet when working, but still have access to the social part of Chiang Mai. We hope to spend under 10k baht per month on rent. 

Thanks for reading

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry about having non immigrant visas like some will suggest nor work permit. You'll not be able to get these working as a digital nomad. So if you're long term going to stay you'll have to get an education visa through a Thai language school or a self defense class which are run by the military. Don't worry, you'll barely have to attend and both of these avenues are setup to earn those who run the course cash and as a way to get long stay visas for people such as yourself. Looking at upsards of 30k a year for this visa.

4 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Don't worry about having non immigrant visas like some will suggest nor work permit. You'll not be able to get these working as a digital nomad. So if you're long term going to stay you'll have to get an education visa through a Thai language school or a self defense class which are run by the military. Don't worry, you'll barely have to attend and both of these avenues are setup to earn those who run the course cash and as a way to get long stay visas for people such as yourself. Looking at upsards of 30k a year for this visa.

I don't think it is a good idea to promote ways to break the law in Thailand.  The possibility of being arrested for misusing the education system to circumvent the law is low but it does exist.  I saw a westerner at Thai immigration to renew their Thai language education via once.  The immigration officer was not too pleased when the westerner could not understand him when he spoke to him in Thai.  Considering that General Big Joke, who is known for loving to arrest illegal westerners just took over Immigration, I would be very careful about this.

44 minutes ago, BarnicaleBob said:

I don't think it is a good idea to promote ways to break the law in Thailand.  The possibility of being arrested for misusing the education system to circumvent the law is low but it does exist.  I saw a westerner at Thai immigration to renew their Thai language education via once.  The immigration officer was not too pleased when the westerner could not understand him when he spoke to him in Thai.  Considering that General Big Joke, who is known for loving to arrest illegal westerners just took over Immigration, I would be very careful about this.

This is a good observance.  Most of the discussion on TV Forums is whether working as a digital nomad is legal or not... I agree that the most important issue is whether the person has a visa correctly.

2 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

What's the correct visa for a digital nomad? 

Well there's Visa Category 101:

- Can work digitalnomad legal in coffee shops selling at least 10 cups of coffee a day anywhere in Thailand, this category also exempt from tax. And there's a 20% bonus if your a millenial (claim this at any 7/11 store). Annoying the other customers is compulsory. Your totally OK to work legal if your helping to set up facebook accounts because facebook Thailand have an umbrella work permit covering all digitalnomads up to 1,000 nomads. Good for 5 years and late renewal is Ok up to 12 months. And to top it all off if you have this category visa for 10 years you get automatic Thai citizenship and a nice gold medal with a noodle image as a reward for outstanding services to raise the Thai GDP.

Category 102:

- Write your own job description, if the spelling is correct instant approval.

All other points above apply. Plus 50% discount from all shops in Kao San Road.

5 hours ago, BarnicaleBob said:

"Considering that General Big Joke, who is known for loving to arrest illegal westerners ...."

Really?

I retired here in my mid forties and back then they had a one year business visa that was easily obtainable by having a legal firm “sponsor” you... That visa is no longer allowed... I’m now over fifty and on retirement visa... But if I was coming here now I would consider doing a dual country living arrangement... 6 months in Thailand and 6 months on say the Vietnamese coast... Visas for 6 months are doable in both countries and with a 6 month spacer both immigration depts shouldn’t give you much problems even with just tourist visas...

Dont listen to all those old farts that have no clue how Thailand works. There is no real law in this country, thats why its so beautful. You can´t get arrested for illegaly working anymore, you could in theory only get kicked out of the country, so far i have not heard a story of a digital nomad getting in problems.

It is very possible to stay here as digital nomad on a tourist visa for many years straight. (make sure to make visa runs in to other countries and to apply at the thai embassy, ideally stay there for a few weeks and see another country.. dont use the visa on arrival crap and have some documents prepared (Like source of income from outside the country, bank statements, 20k baht in cash, fake travel on flights etc. ) The better you are prepared, the longer you can stay. 

Keep in mind that it should be seen as longer holiday and it could work for a few years, but it can never be seen as longterm solution. The longterm solution currently is to get super rich and then buy a thai visa elite card or get married (high risk ????

- Complaining about having to go to Bangkok and cost was heard loud and clear. 

- Now you don’t have to go to Bangkok or pay the fee. No more affidavits.

- Life got so much easier without that affidavit until new registrations came out. A whole lot tougher for some. 

*** My point might want to be careful what you post ....someone’s 

reading them.  If it’s really sensitive private message someone 

2 hours ago, lipflipper said:

A digital nomad???? Where do these GenXers/Millenials come up with these terms?? IMO there are way too many of this type here in Chiang Mai already. I wish they would all pack up and move to Goa.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Really! What harm are they doing you?

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Wait for it. Someone will suggest the Thai Elite for a mere baht 500,000.

I am a digital nomad (well, not really nomad, as I don't move places much). I also got the Elite Visa. If you plan to stay here long time it's a good deal. There's even an Elite 10 year visa for 800.000 Baht. I certainly would have bought it if I didn't want to buy a car last year as well.

From what I understand from a previous post on these forums, is that it's technically possible to use the 5 year visa for up to 6 years by extending it just before year 5 runs out. Might be true or not, but perhaps ...

For my purpose it's good. I believe Education visa allows for a maximum of up to 3 year (per course type perhaps). And you'd have to go to school sometimes (or pay bribes) do border runs to extend the visa, etc… With the Elite visa I can just stay at home. Also the website for the 90 day reporting worked for me this time, so don't even need to visit immigration except once per year. For all those hassles removed, I feel it's worth it. Of course you'll also have an easier time entering international airports of Bangkok, Chiang Mai and perhaps some other cities.

I had an ED visa in the past and the lady at immigration in Pattaya was being quite an annoying bitch to me, constantly asking me to deliver new papers and such. And never really clear what was needed or wanted, just pushing me away and calling the next "customer".

2 hours ago, Austrian26 said:

There is no real law in this country, thats why its so beautful. You can´t get arrested for...

That being said don’t think you can sip a few brewskies atop a romantic ancient wall and then throw your empty beer bottles at those official looking posters of well dressed men... :coffee1:

14 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Be aware that "technically"...you will need a work permit...as Thais become more internet savvy be prepared to be accosted by officials if you operate in the shadows...  

Why do you care what someone else is doing?

Archived