Local Government Hospital Experience

superal

Not sure if my recent hospital experience has anything to do with the tightening up of visa requirements or medical insurance conjecture but here goes .

I had been helping a friend to decorate an unoccupied house he owns . Rooms were dusty etc and his wife cleaned with a broom etc .  Painted walls with emulsion . At the end of work we went for a beer , I had 2 and then went home for a shower . I had been feeling chesty before hand but after the shower could barely breathe . Wife took me to the local hospital where I collapsed and was taken to their A & E treatment and put on ventilation for 3 hours and then transferred to a care ward of respiratory patients . One nearby lady in next bed lives in the same soi as I and had the same symptoms as me though nowhere the house I was painting .  She was taken to the ICU during the night . I will now shorten the story as it could develop into a very long read so here is the low down .    I was transferred to another public ward in the morning for men only , ( wife had requested a VIP room initially but not available until 15 00 hrs ) not nice as there were 2 Thai guys receiving last rites from the monks , however the doctor spoke to me on his morning round and explained to me my lung condition in his best English .  Twenty minutes later I was presented with an up to date bill which came to 4650 baht for 1 night stay . I was amazed as the last time I had hospital treatment it was a fraction of that including a VIP room .  To support that a friend told me he was admitted for similar health issues 3 years ago and spent 4 nights in VIP and the bill was a tad over 4k baht . 

So I eventually got the bill translated to English and was surprised to find the following . The bed and 3 meals came to 400 baht which was very good , however the charges mounted when the doctors and nurses charges were imposed ( almost seems as if they were signing on to a job sheet ) . So by now my breathing had improved significantly and so I told the nurse that I am  not staying another night as it is too expensive and now that my blood oxygen levels had returned to a reasonable level it was necessary . She called the doctor who wanted me to stay but agreed that my state was a drastic improvement and requested that I sign the patient discharge register for their own protection . So I gave the wife 5000 baht to settle the bill but that had grown again to 5300 baht because of medication to take home .  Have to say it was so good to go home and have a proper shower and relax in my air-con bedroom .

I related this story to a friend who works in Hong Kong who said that it was now the same there and similar costs but I said there could be no comparison from a small Thai provincial hospital to one in H/K .  BTW the senior nurse who spoke pigeon English seemed to say that they had been told to make sure that they charge the falang  .  So I am the mug paying premium money in a public ward and without a fan . The VIP room has now gone up to 1600 baht a night but I do not know if associated doctors/nurses costs are constant . There is an assumption from the doctors that falangs all carry medical insurance and so larger bills are not a problem , until I enlightened them that over 65 years ins; becomes expensive and over aged 70 is beyond the finances for the majority of Thailand's retirees  .  So the Thais pay 30 baht for their treatment so virtually free but to me the Thai government are missing out as I for one would be prepared to pay an annual fee for hospital treatment with VIP options and mandatory on visa application . Should apply to retirees and holiday makers .

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find your comments about hospitals and visa tightening requirements a load of nonsense.

So what you were on a ward where people were dying, i had the same, but you expect preferential treatment because you are farang, why?

Cost of a private room, you are complaining, over 5 years ago my private room was 1300 baht per day.

You are making fun of a nurse because she does not speak good English, pathetic, this is Thailand, why should she speak your language?

I get government hospital treatment every 3 weeks, have been for 5 years, no increase in costs over that time period.

Relatives kid recently spent 3 nights in a private hospital, not a famous one. Nothing much wrong with her, just a heavy cold or flu, they put her on a drip as they always do for looks. Bill was 27.000 baht. Like everything else health care is not as cheap as it used to be.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

I find your comments about hospitals and visa tightening requirements a load of nonsense.

So what you were on a ward where people were dying, i had the same, but you expect preferential treatment because you are farang, why?

Cost of a private room, you are complaining, over 5 years ago my private room was 1300 baht per day.

You are making fun of a nurse because she does not speak good English, pathetic, this is Thailand, why should she speak your language?

I get government hospital treatment every 3 weeks, have been for 5 years, no increase in costs over that time period.

Couldn't agree more, paying 5300 for emergency treatment and 24 hours accomodation and care is an absolute bargain, complaining about it is truly indecent. When he mentions the 30 Bahts flat fee he simply choses to ignore that the Thais, as a community contribute to financing the system at lot more than he does.

And yes as a foreigner, his duty is to finance his health care in full; wether it is thru an insurance or not doesn't matter.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

I will take your points one at a time

1/ Where do I state I wanted preferential treatment ? Is it too much to ask for a fan in this heat ? you are giving a conflict of information as in one breath you say you were on a ward of dying people and then say your private room was 1300 baht a night ?

2 / Cost of a room cannot be compared between different hospitals , quite obvious really

3/ How is describing speaking pigeon English by a nurse making fun of her ? I have total respect for the medical profession here and there is nowhere in my post suggesting otherwise , so back off .

4/ I have a friend who also receives regular monthly medical treatment and also zero increases . I am not a regular out patient and that is the point . It seems that casual out patients costs are/ have risen quite a bit and the staff are being instructed to ensure their care is covered .

2 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Couldn't agree more, paying 5300 for emergency treatment and 24 hours accomodation and care is an absolute bargain, complaining about it is truly indecent. When he mentions the 30 Bahts flat fee he simply choses to ignore that the Thais, as a community contribute to financing the system at lot more than he does.

And yes as a foreigner, his duty is to finance his health care in full; wether it is thru an insurance or not doesn't matter.

The overall picture of Thai medical costs can be described as discriminating as there is a distinct two tier level of billing . The farang is expected to make a significantly higher contribution than the local Thai . There is nothing to suggest that a Thai makes a higher contribution ( please qualify ) other than 30 baht . You chose to ignore my last paragraph where I stated that I would be prepared to pay an annual fee for Thai medical insurance . That scenario is imminent in some form or another .

Medical Insurance is beyond most guys in their late 60s and 70s etc unless they are loaded of course . The popular thinking being to hop on a big bird and back to  their home country in the case of a serious illness .

Relatives kid recently spent 3 nights in a private hospital, not a famous one. Nothing much wrong with her, just a heavy cold or flu, they put her on a drip as they always do for looks. Bill was 27.000 baht. Like everything else health care is not as cheap as it used to be.
Price to pay for a heavy cold or flu. How did the hospital convince the parents she needed a stay in hospital, or vice versa?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 minutes ago, superal said:

I will take your points one at a time

1/ Where do I state I wanted preferential treatment ? Is it too much to ask for a fan in this heat ? you are giving a conflict of information as in one breath you say you were on a ward of dying people and then say your private room was 1300 baht a night ?

2 / Cost of a room cannot be compared between different hospitals , quite obvious really

3/ How is describing speaking pigeon English by a nurse making fun of her ? I have total respect for the medical profession here and there is nowhere in my post suggesting otherwise , so back off .

4/ I have a friend who also receives regular monthly medical treatment and also zero increases . I am not a regular out patient and that is the point . It seems that casual out patients costs are/ have risen quite a bit and the staff are being instructed to ensure their care is covered .

I say again you are talking nonsense, been in a hospital got decent treatment, then try making fun out of a nurse who does not have good English, moan about the minute amount you had pay, you are not getting anywhere with your nonsense, so quit now, before you look even worse than you already do.

8 minutes ago, superal said:

The overall picture of Thai medical costs can be described as discriminating as there is a distinct two tier level of billing . The farang is expected to make a significantly higher contribution than the local Thai . 

My thinks it is the same in other countries, included western, where they have a social health care system in place for its nationals.

Me personally I have the SS card, as do many others, actually we are better of than the THai on the 30thb or gold scheme's

For us it is for free and in my case in a private hospital, and a very good one to for that matter

Reversed Tier Pricing?

9 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I say again you are talking nonsense, been in a hospital got decent treatment, then try making fun out of a nurse who does not have good English, moan about the minute amount you had pay, you are not getting anywhere with your nonsense, so quit now, before you look even worse than you already do.

You must have a reading problem . Go back and read my reply to your first poorly thought out post .

For the record , if you cannot make a sensible contribution to the topic go and rant elsewhere.  Have read so much of your drivel in the past . 

3 minutes ago, superal said:

You must have a reading problem . Go back and read my reply to your first poorly thought out post .

For the record , if you cannot make a sensible contribution to the topic go and rant elsewhere.  Have read so much of your drivel in the past . 

????:cheesy:???? , there there dear, you dont like it when i post the truth.

4 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Thailand could attract more retirees if they would provide reasonably priced healthcare insurance that was renewable until retiree expires...

Yes an interesting discussion point.

I'm not sure if it's your ultimate point, but is seems to me that retirees should pay full costs of health care themselves (in a government hospital actual costs plus a small premium to help fund development, better equipment etc.). 

In most cases folks retired here (own choice), are not paying Thai taxes (except VAT).

If they wish to go to very expensive 5 star hospitals it's there own choice.

I'm not talking about double pricing or supporting an Essan family, they are valid discussion points but not relevant to this discussion. 

Most government hospitals nationwide do not have two tier pricing but those located in areas which get a comparatively large number of foreignets often do.

Most Thais, especially in rural areas, do not have to pay or pay only 30 baht whereas foreigners (and any Thai not covered under 39 baht or SS scheme at that hospital) gave to pay full price. In many rural hospitals it is infrequent that there is a need to bill the ptient so understandable that special note would need to be taken.

In Bangkok it is much more common, even among Thais as many are covered by 39 haht scheme in a home province but work in Bkk and prefer not to travel back for care so instead pay out of pocket.

Costs in any hospital very much depend upon the treatment given. 5k+ for an ER visit and some sort of respiratory support (unclear if oxygen or actual intubation but I suspect the former; intubation and use of a ventilator would require ICU admission and have cost much more) is quite reasonable and not indicative of a rise in prices just because other visits with different treatment cost less.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

44 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Most government hospitals nationwide do not have two tier pricing but those located in areas which get a comparatively large number of foreignets often do.

Most Thais, especially in rural areas, do not have to pay or pay only 30 baht whereas foreigners (and any Thai not covered under 39 baht or SS scheme at that hospital) gave to pay full price. In many rural hospitals it is infrequent that there is a need to bill the ptient so understandable that special note would need to be taken.

In Bangkok it is much more common, even among Thais as many are covered by 39 haht scheme in a home province but work in Bkk and prefer not to travel back for care so instead pay out of pocket.

Costs in any hospital very much depend upon the treatment given. 5k+ for an ER visit and some sort of respiratory support (unclear if oxygen or actual intubation but I suspect the former; intubation and use of a ventilator would require ICU admission and have cost much more) is quite reasonable and not indicative of a rise in prices just because other visits with different treatment cost less.

My treatment was not ICU admission but by way of an oxygen mask plus nasal tubes until levels were met .  My main point is that although the charges are very reasonable there has been an instruction given to hike the charges to farangs and that was confirmed to me this morning by a hospital employee friend . We were sat around a table chatting and mostly Thais who were amazed at the price I paid . It was not too long ago when falangs could be included in the 30 baht scheme and a friend had a hernia operation using it but then falangs were kicked out gradually ( do you recall this ) . For what reason ? 

2 minutes ago, superal said:

My treatment was not ICU admission but by way of an oxygen mask plus nasal tubes until levels were met .  My main point is that although the charges are very reasonable there has been an instruction given to hike the charges to farangs and that was confirmed to me this morning by a hospital employee friend . We were sat around a table chatting and mostly Thais who were amazed at the price I paid . It was not too long ago when falangs could be included in the 30 baht scheme and a friend had a hernia operation using it but then falangs were kicked out gradually ( do you recall this ) . For what reason ? 

Government hospitals do not operate higher charges for farangs, so please stop posting inaccurate statements.

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Government hospitals do not operate higher charges for farangs, so please stop posting inaccurate statements.

Just been told by someone in the medical field ( read Sheryl post 17 ) that is indeed the case . So all of a sudden you are an informed medical expert know all . I think not .

The farang inclusion in 30 baht scheme was an error. A directive regarding a scheme for migrant workers from neighboring countries was improperly worded in Thai such that it said "foreigners" without specifying migrants or neighboring countries. When it was discovered that resident farangs were being enrolled as a result it was clarified and stopped.

The migrant worker scheme was priced for that group -- fit working age people. If a system is ever developed for resident expats it would have to be priced much higher given that these tend to be older people, often with chronic health conditions.

Are you sure you paid more for yoyr hosputaluzation than a Thai not covered by 30 baht or SS scheme would have? Naturally you will pay much more than those covered.

As mentioned 2 tier pricing does often occur in some areas with large volume of expats (e.g. Pattaya area) but would be very unusual in say Issan or other upcountry area where farang patients are rare. It is hardly worth their trouble to create and enforce a separate pricing system if there are seldom any farang patients.

52 minutes ago, superal said:
1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Just been told by someone in the medical field ( read Sheryl post 17 ) that is indeed the case . So all of a sudden you are an informed medical expert know all . I think not . 

Just to stick my oar in, last year I went to Udon Thani hospital, (a government hospital) into the ER with a pain down my left side.

After the obligatory blood pressure check, being connected to an ECG for half an hour, seeing the doctor who thankfully told me there was no problem, plus being issued the compulsory drugs (paracetamol), the bill was 195 Baht.

Another occasion I went there for a tetanus booster and paid 200 Baht. Years before I'd been to a private hospital for a tetanus booster and was charged 1,000 Baht.

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Just to stick my oar in, last year I went to Udon Thani hospital, (a government hospital) into the ER with a pain down my left side.

After the obligatory blood pressure check, being connected to an ECG for half an hour, seeing the doctor who thankfully told me there was no problem, plus being issued the compulsory drugs (paracetamol), the bill was 195 Baht.

Another occasion I went there for a tetanus booster and paid 200 Baht. Years before I'd been to a private hospital for a tetanus booster and was charged 1,000 Baht.

Pain down your left side?

Different to what your wife says, she says your a pain in the neck.:cheesy:????:cheesy:

THIS IS TO THE WEBMASTERS

Based on the discussion here I wonder if a poll of how many people would be interested in a Farang medical plan if the rate was reasonable and gave a reasonable discount for major things.

I know that I would be depending on the price and I have med insurance from Canada but have to pay up front.

8 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

15 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

. Now your costings are what I was used to but now they seemed to have risen especially if you are to be admitted . To lay my cards on the table , I know of 3 falangs who are married with children and own there houses and could not afford to be in a position of paying the bill that I paid .  You would think that a guy who is married to a Thai lady would be regarded as family and treated similarly to Thais .

3 hours ago, superal said:

Careful he runs off to his friends who wield the naughty stick when he thinks he's being picked on. 

As for your post please don't like, start, like, sentences with 'so'. like. It's like, so like Millennial, like.

Oh and stop whinging about a cheap hospital bill for the care you received. You wouldn't have got through the door of a private hospital for that price.

15 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

THIS IS TO THE WEBMASTERS

Based on the discussion here I wonder if a poll of how many people would be interested in a Farang medical plan if the rate was reasonable and gave a reasonable discount for major things.

I know that I would be depending on the price and I have med insurance from Canada but have to pay up front.

All depends on what you consider a reasonable rate .

I have to comment and this is a subject that has to be tackled given the retiree population in Thailand who are over the age of seventy and a private Bupa type of health insurance would be beyond many if not most of us .  As I wrote in my original post I for one would welcome a Thai government falang health scheme . I would be interested to know what others think with regards to an annual premium .  If I get the ball rolling and say 30,00 baht a year basic for admissions and day / non admissions to pay as normal , where do you think that would stand ?

10 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

As for your post please don't like, start, like, sentences with 'so'. like. It's like, so like Millennial, like.

I'm guilty of sometimes starting sentences with 'so' - both written and also orally, when I tend to use it more as an exclamation.

I don't know whether to offended or impressed, as I'm no Millennial, but rapidly approaching pension age, and feel I've had a 'life sentence' already.

All depends on what you consider a reasonable rate .
I have to comment and this is a subject that has to be tackled given the retiree population in Thailand who are over the age of seventy and a private Bupa type of health insurance would be beyond many if not most of us .  As I wrote in my original post I for one would welcome a Thai government falang health scheme . I would be interested to know what others think with regards to an annual premium .  If I get the ball rolling and say 30,00 baht a year basic for admissions and day / non admissions to pay as normal , where do you think that would stand ?
Worth a punt.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

In all due respect. it is all relative HK, which I know well no way the prices are the same first take a good look at the exchange rate vs. the Dollar.

You are right they tend to look at us as ATM, personally prior or after your admission your wife should have gone to the office and gave them the load down as to your financial situation plus you aren't a Thai in all sense so shouldn't expect the 30 baht scheme.

I can see if the bill was 50,000 baht but you are talking 5000 baht. You should be ashame of yourself since you most likely down more in beer a month that the hospital bill. Maybe you been here too long and becoming more like a Thai and that is you are one unappreciative guy!  5000 baht get real!

I can only talk about my personnel experience.

I spent well over 1 million baht at Bumrungrand before discovering I had cancer

Because of the complex nature of the cancer Bumrungrand could not do the operation.

I then spent another 1/2 million baht at Samitivej with the same results.

Luckily a Doctor at Samitivey recommended a surgeon at Siriraj,

To cut a long story short after 20 days in Siriraj including 2 nights in intensive care and an eight hour operation I am now cancer free.

The total Siriraj bill was just over 200,000 baht.

I could not have asked for better treatment than all the staff. surgeons. doctors. nurses and orderlies provided.

Nothing but admiration for Sirijaj hospital.

Archived