Stealing Thai jobs, illegal working: Thousands deported, millions in fines paid

webfact

Stealing Thai jobs, illegal working: Thousands deported, millions in fines paid

3pm.jpg

Picture: Manager

Manager reported on the first phase of a crackdown on illegal migrants that started in July of last year. 

More than 5,000 migrants from Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar have been deported with hundreds more being sent home for stealing jobs reserved exclusively for Thais. 

Around 28 million baht in fines have been paid. 

Gen Adul "Big Oo" Sangsingkeo, chief at the Ministry of Labour was giving figures based on the crackdown from the start of last July to February 25th this year. 

Employers in 13,904 places had been checked with 906 cases of wrongdoing uncovered. These had resulted in 8.3 million baht in fines.

Around a quarter of a million migrants had been checked resulting in 5,129 prosecutions and 5,012 deportations and 16.8 million baht in fines being levied. 

Regarding workers taking Thai jobs 2,538 people had been checked out resulting in 702 prosecutions and 649 deportations and 2.8 million baht in fines. 

Jobs reserved for Thais that the migrants were found to be taking included selling goods, moving around from place to place selling items and acting as guides. 

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-28

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Maybe they should target South Asians, in particular Indians and Bangladeshis. Seems to be hundreds of them working in stalls and shops and touting tailor shops and other nefarious businesses in tourist areas, especially in Pattaya. 

How do they obtain work permits for this kind of work?

It's visibly bad now whereas even just ten years ago they were restricted to selling nuts or touting poorly made suits to new arrivals.

I can't believe that someone who has been so long on the forum is so ignorant. Many of these guys are Thais and born here. This has been explained quite a few time on the forum. 

Sure there are a few that are NOT legal but the majority are legal as they are Thai. This topic has come up again and again. People talking about the Indians in MBK ect. 

Yes I forgot any skin not white makes it look bad.. while it was a white drunk Brit causing carnage in Pattaya only yesterday. I prefer looking at Indians then having guys like that Brit in Thailand. 

40 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I have an excellent, well paying job with good benefits that allows me to monitor my other Thai based businesses at the same time. 

Why would you not want to work here if you wanted to stay here?

Because I don’t need too ????

1 hour ago, isaanjohnno said:

Never have understood just why a western person would WANT to work in Thailand. 

I've been working in Thailand for over 10 years and enjoyed every second of it. Admittedly the salary by western standards is way lower, but the hours I do would be classed as part-time in the UK. I chose to live in Thailand, so why not work? Some jobs in Thailand require Westerners therefore you are not taking that work from a Thai. 

1 hour ago, isaanjohnno said:

Never have understood just why a western person would WANT to work in Thailand. 

There are three sorts of people who do this:

1. Talented people who are well paid.

2. People who are desperate to stay here but have few resources.

3. People who cant hold down a job at all in the west due to them being incompetent or dishonest or whatever.

Group 3 seems to be the most common.

7 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

They were doing them up until a few years back when there was a mass influx of illegals from South Asia predominantly Bangladeshis and Indians. 

They have taken up jobs in the tourist trade in tandem with the rise of visitors from South Asia.

There wasn't an Indian or a Bangla in MBK even six, seven years ago nor on Beach Road in Pattaya, selling kebabs on second road or anywhere else. 

Apparently they are all Thais though, <deleted>.s

Ohhh I do love a good kebab and really if some one has the motivation and sees an opportunity and takes advantage of it well good on em. As a customer i really don't care who I am buying from so long as the product and service is good. 

So if Thai's are being out competed in their own country, then they really need to have a good hard look at themselves and figure out why that is? Ring-fencing jobs is not going to work when there are people willing, able and motivated to offer better products and services for a financial reward.  Protectionist measures usually lead to people becoming very lazy and lackadaisical in their approach because they feel they have no competition. 

Just now, Father Fintan Stack said:

Maybe they should target South Asians, in particular Indians and Bangladeshis. Seems to be hundreds of them working in stalls and shops and touting tailor shops and other nefarious businesses in tourist areas, especially in Pattaya. 

It's visibly bad now whereas even just ten years ago they were restricted to selling nuts or touting poorly made suits to new arrivals.

"It's visibly bad now"

Do keep your racist bile to yourself, 1% of Thai citizens were born in India, nothing "bad" about that.

2 hours ago, jonclark said:

Which begs the question if these jobs are so valuable, why are Thais not doing them. 

Only things of value are worth stealing, right?  

The argument could also be made that having the availability of a cheap foreign labor pool allows Thai companies to avoid paying working Thais a wage the work would ordinarily justify, thus making the jobs desirable for Thais.

It's good Thai try to make sure their own kind have employment, but who gives the illegal workers the employment?

Possibly Thai nationals?

Thai should look more closely in the mirror to find the answers.

Most Thai don't want to work such long hours per day with possibly two days off each calendar month, no sick pay, no workers rights and so on, earning possibly 9000 +, or less, baht per month.

Would you?!

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

Ohhh I do love a good kebab and really if some one has the motivation and sees an opportunity and takes advantage of it well good on em. As a customer i really don't care who I am buying from so long as the product and service is good. 

So if Thai's are being out competed in their own country, then they really need to have a good hard look at themselves and figure out why that is? Ring-fencing jobs is not going to work when there are people willing, able and motivated to offer better products and services for a financial reward.  Protectionist measures usually lead to people becoming very lazy and lackadaisical in their approach because they feel they have no competition. 

Isn’t that Thailand in a nutshell ?

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

It's visibly bad now whereas even just ten years ago they were restricted to selling nuts or touting poorly made suitssa to new arrivals.

If you go to ao nang in krabi now and go for a walk you can now be bothered not only by tailors but also every second or third restaurant and most bars.  It is like the tailor annoyance x 10. 

If they got the lazy, idle Thai Men off their <deleted> and into work there wouldn't be any jobs for Foreigner's to take.  I've lived here for nearly 13 years and there are bus loads of Thai men in the 18-40 age group living in Village's around me who have never done anything productive in all that time; they sit around on their haunches or swing in hammocks all day smoking and drinking while their Wives slave away selling street food or working in markets.  The 'Authorities' talk of 'low unemployment' as if there are no jobs available but if this is the case why do they need millions of Foreign workers ?

Archived