Stealing Thai jobs, illegal working: Thousands deported, millions in fines paid

webfact

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good on them! Western countries should also be the same way. Far to many migrants flowing into the west taking jobs that the natives should be doing. And i don't buy that BS excuse of, " they are doing jobs that locals don't want to do" 
That is utter rubbish, the real fact of the matter is Locals have become lazy in the UK for example, because they KNOW they can claim government had-outs and sit on their asses doing nothing. If they had their benefits cut, you would see the employment rate sky-rocket, and a lot of those jobs that the locals don't 'want' to do will soon be filled up. 

9 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Never read such utter nonsense in my puff. 

Let me put this in simple terms. 

THEY WEREN'T HERE TEN YEARS AGO AND THEY DON'T SPEAK THAI!

I haven't a clue who the "THEY" are you are refering too. I've not met nor talked to every person of color in Pattaya, nor have I ever determined their right to work here or their citizenship. Why? Because it is none of my business. It is the business of the Thai government.

3 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Thailand is forced to take action on things where in the past they didnt care that much.

USA , EU forcing them to act. If not, economic sanctions will be the whip.

So more and more the Thai will act on all the western way wrong things. And the more they are in the western system, the more they take care for all wrong western ways. Bending to global array.

However the western can not even keep there own ways and are screwing their own people.

In USA you have many jobs done by.....latin Americans. In EU you have Polish people doing work EU people will not and are screwed by their employers. But ... they dont care, ok when they find out they act somehow, depending on how big a story can get. It doesnt matter if there is a military or non military system, they are all the same.

Its all about one global system to run and only the rich will get better with it. Yha now you are thinking, but an employer then? Well another one above him (government) wants to get better with power and money, so kicks down.

WE are going back in time, when there were rich and the other ones were slaves. The slaves will be deported, but ofcourse come back again. Thai borders seem to be very open or corrupted border patrols let them in. And then the story begins again. Maybe also make a wall around Thailand, maybe all countries make a wall then.

Mankind so clever, but on other hand sooooooo stupid and greedy.   

Corporate greed. 

..these people pay ...God Knows How Much... to get here...???

....they are the 'criminals'.....and they are fined on top of it all....???

...what is the actual breakdown on the fines levied.......???

...would like to know....

...and when you read about Thais in similar situations in foreign countries...they are the victims...???

....sounds about right....???

...555.....???

2 hours ago, mrfill said:

... which is mostly populated by Nepalese people, not Indians.....

100% correct. They are actually Nepalese who migrated to Burma a few generations back, when Burma was considered to be a wealthier nation than Nepal then. After Burma lost it's charm and they got the chance to migrate to Thailand they did, in hoards. When they talk between themselves, they do so in Nepalese. Vast majority of the touts standing outside the tailor shops, restaurants are them working for Indo Thai owners who have been here for generations. They are employed by the Indo Thai owners as they possess a better command over English, are cheaper and more hard working. I am in no way denying that there are some Indians working here illegally too, though they are in much smaller numbers and being able to live here by getting fake marriage visas. Most of the ethnic Burmese workers here are in fishing and labor industry as their foreign language skills are limited to Burmese and a little Thai.

I keep reading and hearing the same crap over and over again for the past decade and for the very same time i am short staffed and cannot get staff.

Does a Thai want to go work on a construction site? if he/she did, then construction companies would not have to import labor.

LK family in Pattaya imports all their staff from Burma and pays high price for it. If they could get reliable staff locally, no way would they be wasting money on bringing and feeding and giving free rooms to foreign staff.

Laundry shops, hotels, restaurants pretty much any minimum wage businesses are short staffed and require staff.

I seriously doubt a burmese or cambodian would be applying for a job in the bank to steal a job from a Thai

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I know I'd feel much better if the guys perpetually hawking fake watches to every passerby on my soi in BKK were real Thais instead of the Indian / Bangladeshi variety!!!  :tongue:

Like that guy who loves harassing customers at Hollys Coffee? 

That guy will not be ignored.  He will literally put himself and his shitty watches between you and whatever you are doing and ask you to buy at least 5 times.  I have seen him come back half an hour later, pestering the same people!

Pretty punchable guy!

7 hours ago, manchega said:

This is military thinking

create feelings of nationalism and patriotic idiocy to convince the plebs they are doing the right thing in supporting military dictatorship

luckily there are thinking people in Thailand

lets hope they can overthrow these <deleted> and do something about the real threat to Thailand

And the real threat is ???

Governments throughout the world are complicit in fueling commodity and house price bubbles, meaning the poor in the country can no longer afford to take low paid work.  If the powers that be concentrated on reducing the burden on the average worker, rather than adding to it, then there would be no need for cheaper imported labour.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

I keep reading and hearing the same crap over and over again for the past decade and for the very same time i am short staffed and cannot get staff.

Does a Thai want to go work on a construction site? if he/she did, then construction companies would not have to import labor.

LK family in Pattaya imports all their staff from Burma and pays high price for it. If they could get reliable staff locally, no way would they be wasting money on bringing and feeding and giving free rooms to foreign staff.

Laundry shops, hotels, restaurants pretty much any minimum wage businesses are short staffed and require staff.

I seriously doubt a burmese or cambodian would be applying for a job in the bank to steal a job from a Thai

Is it possible in this case that the kind of people you might employ are already in work- possibly with better pay, and that sadly you are left with those that may be deemed unemployable?

minimum wage businesses are short staffed: The reason lays in the statement; I reckon the minimum wage is not enough to live on, hence anyone who is basically competent, qualified, or just has enough about them to honestly want to work won't, or simply can't afford to take the job.

3 hours ago, Emmess said:

100% correct. They are actually Nepalese who migrated to Burma a few generations back, when Burma was considered to be a wealthier nation than Nepal then. After Burma lost it's charm and they got the chance to migrate to Thailand they did, in hoards. When they talk between themselves, they do so in Nepalese. Vast majority of the touts standing outside the tailor shops, restaurants are them working for Indo Thai owners who have been here for generations. They are employed by the Indo Thai owners as they possess a better command over English, are cheaper and more hard working. I am in no way denying that there are some Indians working here illegally too, though they are in much smaller numbers and being able to live here by getting fake marriage visas. Most of the ethnic Burmese workers here are in fishing and labor industry as their foreign language skills are limited to Burmese and a little Thai.

That "better command over English" part of the argument is far-fetched. If these are people who've been here for a few generations now, their command of English (which wasn't their first language to begin with) wouldn't be better than Thais'. Those you refer to, I think, don't do much front desk and touting jobs, but a step up the ladder - somewhere between the owners and the newer batch. Also, if they were here for a few generations, they'd adapt to local ways and conduct. The touting style on offer is certainly very reminiscent of what one meets in India or Nepal.

I lived in Bangkok for over 10 years, and their presence became definitely more of a thing over time. The Mrs. who visited the sub-continent several times, would often comment about it. I think my Hindi, lame as it was (yeah, spent a while there as well) was better than their Thai.

1 hour ago, phoneguy702 said:

So do the Businesses who employ these illegal worker pay a fine or only the workers?

I guess legalities and how they are practiced aren't quite the same thing on this one. So like many things in this country, guess it changes from one area to the next. From a business point of view, no reason not to fine (putting it politely) both.

9 hours ago, BestB said:

I'm reading pages of this and I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that "a job" is at least 2 parts: 1) the actual task and 2) the price! Yes, Thai's don't want to work construction for 300 baht/day but for 3000/day they probably would. 

If companies weren't able to import labor to compete with locals they would be forced to raise the price of labor. Global labors markets are pro-consumer, pro-business, anti-labor.

9 hours ago, phoneguy702 said:

So do the Businesses who employ these illegal worker pay a fine or only the workers?

The minimum fine für employing somebody illegally is 10,000 THB (up to 100k, more for repeat offenders)

So 5000 workers * 10,000 THB = 50 million THB just from the employers

Collected fines in total: 28 million THB

I assume they should have actually collected at least 10 times this amount if everybody would be fined according to the law

Looks like a lot of brown envelopes instead of official fines

21 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Does every Thai military / police bureaucrat bigshot now come with their own "Big XXXXXX" nickname?

It seems to be a rather disturbing trend!!!   :w00t:

Big Joke; Big OO; it's some sort of compensatory claim.

21 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Does every Thai military / police bureaucrat bigshot now come with their own "Big XXXXXX" nickname?

It seems to be a rather disturbing trend!!!   :w00t:

Look at their gut.  Look at their butt.  Look at their house, their car and their bank account.  Big?  You bet.

Archived