Stealing Thai jobs, illegal working: Thousands deported, millions in fines paid

webfact

9 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I keep reading and hearing the same crap over and over again for the past decade and for the very same time i am short staffed and cannot get staff.

Is it possible in this case that the kind of people you might employ are already in work- possibly with better pay, and that sadly you are left with those that may be deemed unemployable?

minimum wage businesses are short staffed: The reason lays in the statement; I reckon the minimum wage is not enough to live on, hence anyone who is basically competent, qualified, or just has enough about them to honestly want to work won't, or simply can't afford to take the job.

Oh the usual crap . Minimum wage staff are minimum wage staff . No it is not possible whatever assumptions you made because I am not the only one , but every single business is short staffed. Visit any business and ask for vacancy and 99% you will get a job ther if not on the spot within a month.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Always the emphasis on "Brit"! Not drunk, not drunk driving but "Brit'.

I'm against all forms of racism, and against all drunk driving, and drunks who cause trouble because of alcohol - period. I don't care what color they are, what nationality they hold or their racial type, religion or sexual orientation. None of those are moderators to or relevant to the fact that they are abusing alcohol. 

Guess some just have their own biases.

Nothing to do with bias, just current news plus the person i was responding too is as far as I know a Brit.  The guy was talking about Pattaya and how Indians are so bothersome while just the day before carnage (was a big topic with really a lot of damage) was done by a white guy Brit in this case. I think your over sensitive. If you look in the topic of that carnage you see someone saying if its a Brit its 90% sure he was drunk to what i replied what about Dutch, Russian ect. So your reading something about bias that is not here. I would not have mentioned it if I had not thought the guy was not a Brit himself.

9 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I keep reading and hearing the same crap over and over again for the past decade and for the very same time i am short staffed and cannot get staff.

Is it possible in this case that the kind of people you might employ are already in work- possibly with better pay, and that sadly you are left with those that may be deemed unemployable?

minimum wage businesses are short staffed: The reason lays in the statement; I reckon the minimum wage is not enough to live on, hence anyone who is basically competent, qualified, or just has enough about them to honestly want to work won't, or simply can't afford to take the job.

Yes, I suspect you're right.

If you are short of staff, then you need to attract them, and you will only do that by offering better terms of employment (wages) than those you are competing against for staff.

The trouble is that the "minimum wage" is regarded as a "universal wage" by some employers.

19 minutes ago, JAG said:

Yes, I suspect you're right.

If you are short of staff, then you need to attract them, and you will only do that by offering better terms of employment (wages) than those you are competing against for staff.

The trouble is that the "minimum wage" is regarded as a "universal wage" by some employers.

When you have a business in Thailand then you might understand.

why would anyone in their right mind pay double for the very same person who is only worth half ?

an engineer will not work as a maid or  reception or waiter and waiter gets paid the same no matter which restaurant they work in.

a good waiter makes enough tips a bad waiter keeps changing jobs.

so why would anyone pay double for a bad waiter ?

23 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Maybe its because of the generous state benefits that there is all this paranoia around migrant workers I'm currently stealing a Thai job by lounging on the sofa????

Me too, I'm stretched out lounging on my motorcycle.

Thailand experiencing a bit of the same problem as the U.S.A. with Illegal Aliens entering the country taking Jobs away from local citizens, employers, not verifying legal status, changing locations so as to not get caught by law enforcement officials, committing crimes, and causing excessive demands on social resources.  The big difference, of course, is the numbers involved, 100's of thousands each year in the U.S. with estimates of 20-30 million running around illegally, versus the minuscule few thousands in LOS!! Need to get them out!!!

Tip of the iceberg. 

Wifes sons just started huge chinese complex at Nong Nuch.

About two more years work.

Every nationality here.

None are allowed to discuss their salaries. 

Say no more.

Like many other things it will go on.

20190227_175623.jpg

1 hour ago, BestB said:

but every single business is short staffed.

Are you talking about Thailand? I think in Thailand i never got the feeling that a place is short staffed

In most shops that i visit in Thailand i wonder why they have so many employees, usually i see more employees than customers. The most extreme case probably being shops like Hompro or Global House which have about 20 employees per customer.

56 minutes ago, BestB said:

Nobody would pay double for a bad waiter, but somebody who can't find employees for a job would offer more money, so that higher skilled people apply for the job. Of course you still have bad people applying for the job, but you have to filter these people out. If you only offer minimum wage only low skilled people will apply and you don't have a chance to find a higher skilled person.

8 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

And, if you are denying that Khaek is often used in a derogatory way, then you surely don't have many Thai Indian close friends. 

Or you have many racist Thai friends. Imho Kaek is as neutral as Farang, of course it might be used in a negative way, but 99% of the times when a Thai used the word Kaek in a conversation with me or somebody near by it was meant in a completely neutral way, simply to describe the type of person.

9 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Don't forget, when Thais use the word Kaek, they usually add Min to it.....  Not so nice, but true....... Kaek min ! with the obligatory pinch of the nose.....

True. 

Always find it amazing how expats can ignore all the many and pervasive "us vs them" xenophobic culture in Asia and especially derivative Chinese countries like Thailand. 

I suppose the pretty girls help. Also, I reckon the only way to be truly happy in Thailand is to be fairly switched off. That's how the Thais do it, after all. 

Thailand experiencing a bit of the same problem as the U.S.A. with Illegal Aliens entering the country taking Jobs away from local citizens, employers, not verifying legal status, changing locations so as to not get caught by law enforcement officials, committing crimes, and causing excessive demands on social resources.  The big difference, of course, is the numbers involved, 100's of thousands each year in the U.S. with estimates of 20-30 million running around illegally, versus the minuscule few thousands in LOS!! Need to get them out!!!

an American with his fantasy figures !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 2/28/2019 at 9:01 AM, isaanjohnno said:

Never have understood just why a western person would WANT to work in Thailand. 

Yeah like I would like to dabble in something (freelance translator/writer/photographer) but WORK? Who the hell wants to WORK, especially here? I dont even want to work back in the states.

2 hours ago, BestB said:

When you have a business in Thailand then you might understand.

why would anyone in their right mind pay double for the very same person who is only worth half ?

an engineer will not work as a maid or  reception or waiter and waiter gets paid the same no matter which restaurant they work in.

a good waiter makes enough tips a bad waiter keeps changing jobs.

And you wonder why you can't get people to work for you!

Might I suggest that if you offer, say 20% more than your competitors, you will be able to pick and choose the better waiters. When your business's reputation for good customer service becomes known (because you have a willing happy well-paid staff) then you will get more customers.

But as you say, it is your business, so if you wish to keep on paying the lowest wage you can get away with, expecting your staff to scrape by on tips, then so be it. You can fill the time by posting on here complaining that you can't get anyone to work for you!

I think I understand...

41 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Yeah like I would like to dabble in something (freelance translator/writer/photographer) but WORK? Who the hell wants to WORK, especially here? I dont even want to work back in the states.

Excellent post. Gold star for you,  yes MeToo# 

gold star.png

6 hours ago, BestB said:

Oh the usual crap . Minimum wage staff are minimum wage staff . No it is not possible whatever assumptions you made because I am not the only one , but every single business is short staffed. Visit any business and ask for vacancy and 99% you will get a job ther if not on the spot within a month.

I'd like to follow up but don't understand your reply- it's not cogent.

1 minute ago, ZAKY said:

What will happen to thais stealing jobs in foreign countries, will they be called to come back to serve their country instead?

No

But i would like to see every Thai in the Uk, report to Uk immigration every 90 days.

with 3 copies of all there documents, countersigned by a uk police officer.

and the introduction of a TM28 and TM30 reporting system in place ASAP.

Could you imagine the crying, 

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

Are you talking about Thailand? I think in Thailand i never got the feeling that a place is short staffed

In most shops that i visit in Thailand i wonder why they have so many employees, usually i see more employees than customers. The most extreme case probably being shops like Hompro or Global House which have about 20 employees per customer.

Nobody would pay double for a bad waiter, but somebody who can't find employees for a job would offer more money, so that higher skilled people apply for the job. Of course you still have bad people applying for the job, but you have to filter these people out. If you only offer minimum wage only low skilled people will apply and you don't have a chance to find a higher skilled person.

In the supermarkets you see more staff than customers because half are not supermarket staff but reps for a brand . But good reason why have big queues at registers where there are 25 registers but only 3-4 open 

Offeeing more money does not attract better candidates, attracts very same candidates who work even less because they get paid more .

On 2/28/2019 at 9:01 AM, isaanjohnno said:

Never have understood just why a western person would WANT to work in Thailand. 

Your silly comment shows your very limited knowledge let alone understanding of this country.

Some more off topic posts and replies discussing racial slurs have been removed. 

A post commenting on moderation has been removed.  Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately via the report function.

Many of these hard working people are doing actual labor jobs that clearly are not something the average 18-35 year old thai is willing to do.  
They are not taking away the thai jobs of scamming, cheating, reckless driving and ...

4 hours ago, BestB said:

In the supermarkets you see more staff than customers because half are not supermarket staff but reps for a brand . But good reason why have big queues at registers where there are 25 registers but only 3-4 open 

Offeeing more money does not attract better candidates, attracts very same candidates who work even less because they get paid more .

My own impression is that Thais are not the most hard working of people, but if it's not the money then there must be something about the job which is making it unappealing?  Is it hot work?

Archived