Cha-Am: Watch out for dangerous jellyfish - especially if you're Chinese

Cha-Am: Watch out for dangerous jellyfish - especially if you're Chinese

8.JPEG

Manager reported that dozens of signs warning about dangerous jellyfish had gone up in multiple languages on Cha-Am beach in Petchaburi. 

But despite reporting that Chinese was one of the languages signage in their story looked as though someone had forgotten to warn visitors from China. 

It contained Thai and English but the other Asian languages were Japanese and Korean.

8a.JPEG

Maybe they thought that the "kanji" characters in the Japanese might give a hint, notes Thaivisa.

Three large signs and intermittent signs every 50 meters along a five kilometer stretch of beach warn about the prevalence of Bluebottle jellyfish. 

The warnings have gone up after a survey was carried out and include advice on first aid in the event of stings.

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-28

I lived 5 years in Cha am and true, sometimes many jellyfishes

on the first picture, there is also French language ( third  line ) , but it's incorrect ; it should not be  " attention de " but "  attention aux méduses " , but of course, foreign western visitors are supposed to understand English language 

5 hours ago, Aforek said:

I lived 5 years in Cha am and true, sometimes many jellyfishes

on the first picture, there is also French language ( third  line ) , but it's incorrect ; it should not be  " attention de " but "  attention aux méduses " , but of course, foreign western visitors are supposed to understand English language 

Maybe it is rather " to the attention of  jellyfish? " because chinese people want to eat them ? :cheesy:

After the first box jelly-fish related accident involving a Chinese tourist, Cha-am ill be off the list of place for Chinese to go.  Which is fine by me and the wife. I've always like Cha-am as it's predominately Thai and quaint.  It would be nice to leave it that way. 

I well know about the blue devils from very personally painful experience with them growing up on the Texas gulf coast. They are  extremely dangerous animals and can certainly even kill some individuals. Their tendrils, the only dangerous part, can extend for meters under the float and should be avoided with extreme prejudice. 

Not a lifetime, but I've lived in Chaam for over 2 years and frequent and swim on an almost daily basis. 

While I've seen one or two types of jellyfish on the chaam beaches, very infrequently at that, none of the are the Portuguese Man of War colonial organisms in question. Furthermore, I've personally 'tested' the two species I've encountered and found them to harmless, at least to my skin. I purposely, gingerly at first of course, sampled the fluid from every part of their bodies for skin reactions. Zero reaction. Your mileage may vary. 

I'm not foolish, and know there are certainly harmful species in the ocean, but I swim without care when I see the common white variety here. Only once have I even seen these in any alarming number. 

That said, I'm perfectly happy to propagate the rumor that the chaam beaches are death traps teeming with fiercely aggressive aquatic life that preys especially and preferentially viciously on Chinese tourists. Something about the taste of their flesh I assume. 

Maybe I'll even put up colorful warning signs myself! 

Archived