3500 baht for 2 hours work?

giddyup

When it rains I get a small water drip in the bedroom, not enough to penetrate the ceiling but it's been going on for a couple of years. I have had 3 guys come previously, none of them actually fixed the leak in the tiles and one fell off the roof and nearly killed himself. All charged around 1000 baht for the job, and considering the steep pitch of the roof and the inherent danger involved I thought that was a fair price, discounting the fact that they actually never fixed the problem. So a neighbour recommended a guy who fixed their roof and had no further problems, however he charges a fixed price of 3500 baht (no bargaining) no matter one leak or ten, but he does inspect the entire roof and fix any problems that he sees and also guarantees his work for 12 months. When he came yesterday he said he'd already done 4 houses that day and ours would make number 5, I thought 17,500 baht for a days work ain't bad, and there's nothing in the way of overheads except maybe some silicone or cement. Time will tell, or the first heavy rain whether it was money well spent or not, I did feel that I was paying through the nose, but I get so sick of throwing good money after bad here that I just wanted the job done right.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say id prefer to pay extra for a good job. If this job was done good then sure then its money well spend. Problem is often that the more expensive guys and the cheap guys often deliver the same kind of work.

That said, i had a similar problem and nobody could fix it, had 3 guys trying, then the 4th guy charged a lot more worked longer and it has been fixed now. So sometimes paying more helps.

35 minutes ago, giddyup said:

however he charges a fixed price of 3500 baht (no bargaining) no matter one leak or ten

Well he guarantees it so fair call all you can do is wait or get the hose out.

Having been a roofer for that price I would of expected him to use proper ladders and roof access ladders.

Doctor told me 29,000 for heart surgery.  I said, "300 baht OK, it only takes you a few hours."  Then my car broke down and I said, "200 baht for new engine, I will not pay more."   I went to the restaurant, it was 40 baht.  I said, 39 baht!!!!  

Get a few estimates, go with who you trust.  Get referrals, likely impossible.  check website reviews, likely impossible.  facebook?  maybe.  go see his equipment.  use your gut.  call other cities, get 10,000 estimates... 

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

It's a cheap price IF he knows what he is doing, and fixes any leaks. Bear in mind a roofer in Oz would probably charge that much just to set the ladders and scaffolding up.

Not sure you can compare Aussie prices when the daily rate for Thais is around 300 baht. As long as the job has been done correctly I can wear 3500 baht, and I knew the price going in.

15 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Having been a roofer for that price I would of expected him to use proper ladders and roof access ladders.

He did go into the roof cavity and show pics of where the water was coming in.

6 minutes ago, puukao said:

Doctor told me 29,000 for heart surgery.  I said, "300 baht OK, it only takes you a few hours."  Then my car broke down and I said, "200 baht for new engine, I will not pay more."   I went to the restaurant, it was 40 baht.  I said, 39 baht!!!!  

Get a few estimates, go with who you trust.  Get referrals, likely impossible.  check website reviews, likely impossible.  facebook?  maybe.  go see his equipment.  use your gut.  call other cities, get 10,000 estimates... 

He did come recommended and I have had cowboys in the past who did more damage than they fixed.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Not sure you can compare Aussie prices when the daily rate for Thais is around 300 baht. As long as the job has been done correctly I can wear 3500 baht, and I knew the price going in.

No, one can't compare Aussie prices. Just making the point it's cheap compared to what you have coming in from pensions and/or investments.

It is quite difficult to find good, reliable trades in Thailand. When you do, they are often booked out because they do a good job.

It is even more difficult to get someone to come and fix a small job somewhere like Bangkok. Workers will not spend an hour or two driving across town to fix a small job then drive through the traffic to get home for 300 baht - plus deal with condo or moo baan management who often want a substantial security deposit to allow them to carry tools and equipment through common areas.

You will probably notice there is no shortage of people who will do the job for a few hundred baht, but they will mostly have no idea about anything and just do whatever they can to solve the problem, which may include creating a bigger problem than when they started.

3,500 is an ok price for a guaranteed job. The OP probably spent that in money, time and effort trying to find other workers first, plus the hassle and stress of dealing with all these previous workers. Sometimes it's nice to get a proper job done the first time and not deal with it any more.

3 guys at a thousand baht then one at 3.5k. If you'd spent the money in the first place you would only be b500 down! You get what you pay for and decent builders are not cheap here either anymore.

For what you got including aftercare its a good deal. If I were a betting man I would suggest that if he's guaranteeing his work he's unlikely to have to come back anyway.

The problem with 12 months guarantee being used as a reason to charge a higher price, is will he actually stand by that promise if future issues occur ?? 

I have heard amazing excuses from local contractors as to why it's not their fault that either the problem is not fixed or the additional problem they caused was already there ????????

45 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Thai in general don't have the equipment to do the job and they don't take any safety precautions

there was a leak in the tarmac on a small soi near my place, burst/cracked mater pipe i guess. it took three visits from 2/3 workers plus supervisor (who stood there watching and occasionally taking photos - good work if you can get it) before the leak was fixed. as far as i know no injuries were sustained while carrying out the work (but you never know...)

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I would think that someone who charges minimum wage, will or can only deliver a minimum job.

We paid more than 300 Baht, however got loose roof-tiles fastened, broken ones replaced, and steel run-offs between the wall and roof replaced where necessary.
Silicon does not do the job on any roof, especially not when the tiles are exposed to large temperature swings.

19 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

if he is a man of his word and come back if it isnt fixed,

then its cheap imo.

check previous jobs for references if you are uncertain of his character

and write in the contract that he cannot change his mobile phone number every three months 

4 hours ago, Percy P said:

Thai in general don't have the equipment to do the job and they don't take any safety precautions

Yeah well to be taught working in roofing in Thailand is not as strict as taking the Thai driving test. ????

2 hours ago, FarangDoingHisThing69 said:

That rate is even higher than top flight American roofers. 1750/hr is 60$/hour. For what is a simple fix. You got ripped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

No, I paid for someone who knows what he's doing rather than waste any more money on incompetent cowboys.

Time will tell, or the first heavy rain whether it was money well spent or not, I did feel that I was paying through the nose, but I get so sick of throwing good money after bad here that I just wanted the job done right.

very interesting do keep us posted on what happens after its rained . i would be very surprised if he had fixed the problem and as for the 12 month guarantee ???? after your second phone call his phone will be switched off. good luck anyway.

Today, I do all the work for my house and apartment myself,  roofs here will always leak after a few years due to the heat causing expansion of the metal which loosens or break the cement at the top caps. There are dozens of products but it is a matter of finding the right spot to where the leak is coming from it could be a real guessing game.

You have already paid 1000 baht and the problem continues even for me if I was told 3500 with all the reassurance I would do it for the piece of mind.

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

time will tell.

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

Time will tell, or the first heavy rain whether it was money well spent or not, I did feel that I was paying through the nose, but I get so sick of throwing good money after bad here that I just wanted the job done right.

very interesting do keep us posted on what happens after its rained . i would be very surprised if he had fixed the problem and as for the 12 month guarantee ???? after your second phone call his phone will be switched off. good luck anyway.

Why would you be surprised? Are you suggesting that no matter who I get the problem will never be fixed, that all Thais change phone numbers once they have your money, or are you just a guy who's glass is always half empty?

Had a leak above the car port in my house and roof above is built into the main house roof at an angle . After few years of being baked in sun the cement the builders had put in originally needed replaced at the top and down two valleys in the roof.

Got a guy round for quote that everyone was saying was good . He quoted me 40,000bht and 4 days to do it. I spent 4 years at building college to be a bricklayer and knew it was a days full work at most for 2-3 people so told him would get back to him. Then contacted woman who built the house to see if she could send someone to look at it. They turned up next day and fixed it in 5 hours and cost 4000bht !! 

As for the original guy , he done a runner leaving loads of not done or half done jobs and a lot of people out of pocket who paid him !

19 hours ago, giddyup said:

The 300 baht per day is for unskilled laborers. I pay my skilled laborers 500 baht per day. You get what you pay for. If you think hiring a professional is expensive try hiring an amateur. The pros usually get it right the first time.

Archived