126 Thais arrested for tourist harassment

webfact

126 arrested for tourist harassment

By The Nation

f6db14161f890d796d5e669bc36e0b2f.jpeg

Troops, tourist police and officials from several agencies rounded up 126 Thais for allegedly taking advantage of foreign tourists around the Grand Palace, the tourist police chief said on Thursday.

b3ca56d4abc7a3b5017f8d51df1f6516.jpeg

The suspects were arrested in a joint operation on Wednesday, said Lt Gen Thirapol Kupatanon.

Those arrested included taxi drivers who refused to use their meters or who rejected passengers.

They also included street vendors who overcharged tourists, Thirapol added.

He said the officials also took record of 28 tuk-tuk and taxi drivers around Sanam Luang and Grand Palace to warn them not to take advantage of tourists.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30364973

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-28

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Well done, about time i might add.

Yes, too bad the story does not say what happened with them after they were rounded up. If they were punished somehow (especially the taxi drivers that refused to turn on the meter). The story does not tell us much about htis.

36 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes, too bad the story does not say what happened with them after they were rounded up. If they were punished somehow (especially the taxi drivers that refused to turn on the meter). The story does not tell us much about htis.

500 baht fine and a wai.

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

They managed to persuade the Tourist Police to visit their brother's jewellery shop to buy some gold at a special price.

They tried that one on me as well, ''Grand palace is closed today but I can show you some nice gold shops with bargains"

"Take me to a police station first and I can ask if the Grand palace is open"

"OK we go to the Grand palace, may it's closed tomorrow, I think I made a mistake"

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

The only way its going to stop is if tourists make it stop. Dont be a victim.

The first time that I ever visited Bangkok, I wanted to visit Chinatown as it was the vegetable festival.

I caught the MRT to the nearest station and went over to a line of Tuk Tuks to ask them to take me to Chinatown. Immediately, I was intercepted by the gang boss, a middle aged and slightly smarter dressed gentleman.

"Chinatown closed today", he helpfully informed me. As soon as the words came out of his mouth, the penny dropped. I'd watched a documentary about Thailand on UK TV, 2 weeks earlier, which featured the gem shop scam. It was the same guy featured in the documentary. I immediately replied, "Oh well, can you take me to a gem shop instead?" His little face beamed until I started roaring with laughter and explained to him that he was a celebrity in England.

He wasn't amused and started ranting. I turned away and walked to Chinatown.

36 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

If people don’t wanna be ripped off, they shouldn’t come at all.

Flock dude, we shouldnt even leave our homes! Its dangerous out there. Bet the Lemonade girl is packing an Uzi. 

One time, I was walking home from Bali hai to Jomtien hill in the middle of the day. Completely sober.

The taxi drivers closest to WS, Bike drivers, were asking for 200. I told them no, and walked to the corner near Bali hai, to the next group of moto-taxis. Usually, telling them no makes them beg you to come back and offer something reasonable. These particular ones didn't. I know the cost should be around 60-80, but I usually settle for 80 just to make them happy.

On the way, was a tuk-tuk taximan in front of Family Mart. Figured I'd ask him. He told me "Uhh.. 500 baht" I laughed in his face, hysterically. Didn't even give him a chance to save face. Told him he's insane and should never operate a taxi again, "This isn't Bangkok, friend".

Walked 20m down the road to the corner, asked a moto-taxi to take me home. 80 baht.

Some of these taxi drivers are outright criminals in orange uniforms.

13 hours ago, robblok said:

Perhaps they were given a reward and a few pointers on how to get more from the tourists and perhaps a few pointers on where to put the X on the upcoming ballot.

Archived