BANGKOK 19 March 2019 03:10
webfact

Landowners face jail in Koh Samui "mystery tunnel" case

8 hours ago, digbeth said:

The tunnel goes through a mountain, I though you can't get title deeds on land with more than 35% slope, essentially makes all mountain and cliff unownable, hence the illegalities of digging through a mountain even though you appeared to have title deeds to both side of it.

Seems another case of how much it costs to get title documents and how much it costs for officials to turn the other way.

The foreigner has been named as great uncle Bulgaria from Wimbledon common no less🤔

• Haha 2

A shortcut for the island spirits and ghosts. thoughtful on somebody's part.

16 hours ago, fersken said:

What I do not understand is why a tourist tells the authorities that he has found a tunnel at the end of a private road...

The tourist did not tell the authorities. Stumble ≠ tell.

3 months imprisonment huh?

Well comparing the maximum penalties that makes it 97.5% less serious than vaping.

Probably that goes some way towards explaining why so few people take the law seriously in Thailand.

I looked at that property when I lived on Samui. It belonged to a wealthy foreigner, who was trying to sell it, because they would not give him permission to store his private jet at the Samui airport. They would allow him to land, then the jet needed to be flown to Surat airport to store. He decided he did not want to build, after hearing that. If I remember correctly it was about 30-50 rai, with the tunnel connecting the land to the beach. It was well known back then. Someone must have made a big deal about it. Who cares? It is just a tunnel. And quite a nice tunnel at that. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It belonged to a wealthy foreigner, who was trying to sell it, because they would not give him permission to store his private jet at the Samui airport. They would allow him to land, then the jet needed to be flown to Surat airport to store. He decided he did not want to build, after hearing that. If I remember correctly it was about 30-50 rai, with the tunnel connecting the land to the beach. It was well known back then. Someone must have made a big deal about it. Who cares? It is just a tunnel. And quite a nice tunnel at that. 

So there is your answer why the Thai officials never heard about it.  Money into the pockets of q Thai official back in 2005. Then it becomes a mystery in 2019.  

On 3/1/2019 at 4:14 PM, worgeordie said:

You will have to go the long way around now !

regards worgeordie

nah angle grinder and 2  second  job,  probably be ok with a hammer and chisel if its  the usual Thai  lock on the gate.........it  will take them another 14 years to fix  it after that

On 3/1/2019 at 10:41 AM, bdenner said:

A tunnel of that size goes unseen in "Unseen Thailand" - even through the construction stage? Probably because the officials heads were buried in those big 'brown paper bags' which are very easily seen!

Thai property law is insane for everyone unless you have a death wish.

Nuff said.

It's not to difficult to find out who signed on the dotted line, Who would have been the head of the land department at that time? Sorry he's dead

Does the landowner have a name or is that a secret?

Posted (edited)

3 months imprisonment or a fine  for no permission. No comment as to whether or not it is  unsafe.

So in 1995 or now it simply a question of  back pay  or  payback.

Edited by Dumbastheycome

8 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Does the landowner have a name or is that a secret?

He is rich and famous , probably his name is protected by a brown envelope.