17-year-old mother distraught as 4 month old son found dead by her side

webfact

17-year-old mother distraught as 4 month old son found dead by her side

8am.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that a 17 year old mother put her four month old son to sleep by her side in their room in Bo Win, Sri Racha yesterday afternoon. 

He was lying on his front with his head to one side, said Ning (an assumed name) who was in floods of tears as she recounted what happened subsequently. 

Due to tiredness she had fallen asleep by his side. She awoke later to find that he had his face buried in the mattress and was still. 

He was cold to the touch and she called foundation medics immediately. 

She blamed herself for her son's death saying that she had carried him for nine months and only could care for him for four. 

And now he was dead. 

Police accepted that it was a terrible accident and that the child had died after shifting his position during sleep.

Thaivisa notes that standard medical advice says that four month old babies should not be put to sleep on their sides. Healthy babies of this age should always be put to sleep on their backs. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-01

Co-sleeping kills so many kids in NZ, with many of the Maori and Pacific cultures choosing to have their babies sleep with them in their bed, despite medical advice and prolonged campaigns. Does anyone know if they have similar awareness campaigns in Thailand?

RIP little one. 

What a tragedy.  It happens all too often in every country, Thailand being no exception. In a lot of village households, the children seem to sleep wherever they fall down, I doubt that many families can afford a custom made cot for the babies. 

Co-sleeping kills so many kids in NZ, with many of the Maori and Pacific cultures choosing to have their babies sleep with them in their bed, despite medical advice and prolonged campaigns. Does anyone know if they have similar awareness campaigns in Thailand?

RIP little one. 
Just asked my wife and she says, no.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

An absolute heart wrenching tragedy...  

I remember the ongoing fear I was constantly concerned when our newborn slept - the Fear of SIDS was awful - the more I read on the subject the more I realised we can often do as much as possible to mitigate the known causes but there are still unknown factors. 

I really feel for this lady... 

19 minutes ago, SammyT said:

RIP little one. 

Not that I'm aware of.... I would suggest that the Majority of Thai kids co-sleep, many into their school years. 

Our son co-slept for the first 1.5 years in a cot type device we had on our bed so that neither my wife nor I could inadvertently roll onto my son. It was much easier on my Wife to breast feed this way. I'm not saying that was right, but it suited us and I the 'cot type device' mitigated against the SIDS risks.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not that I'm aware of.... I would suggest that the Majority of Thai kids co-sleep, many into their school years. 

Our son co-slept for the first 1.5 years in a cot type device we had on our bed so that neither my wife nor I could inadvertently roll onto my son. It was much easier on my Wife to breast feed this way. I'm not saying that was right, but it suited us and I the 'cot type device' mitigated against the SIDS risks.

Similar things are now being given out in New Zealand. They're a small basket type set-up which allows the child to lay in bed with the parents, but stops that possibility ofg them being suffocated by parents or blankets. As you say, not everyone can afford a cot.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

An absolute heart wrenching tragedy...  

I remember the ongoing fear I was constantly concerned when our newborn slept - the Fear of SIDS was awful - the more I read on the subject the more I realised we can often do as much as possible to mitigate the known causes but there are still unknown factors. 

I really feel for this lady... 

SIDS, AFAIK, is an actual medical condition that can and does lead to the sudden death of infants.

In this case, it appears to be not SIDS but simple suffocation, where the infant ended up face down into the bedding. There also are times, though it's not indicated here, where the mother rolling over in her sleep and landing on top of the infant contributes to the problem.

3 hours ago, SammyT said:

RIP little one. 

Was a study done in Melbourne of Thai women who had moved to live there. They were only made aware of SIDS after moving to Melbourne. Cultural beliefs that supposedly are meant to protect the baby, like cutting its hair, are more important to Thais. 

RIP little one. 

It's not co-sleeping per se that is the problem, it's mostly sleeping position and bedding. Young babies should sleep on their back and bedding should not be loose. 

RIP little one. 

2 hours ago, SammyT said:

Similar things are now being given out in New Zealand. They're a small basket type set-up which allows the child to lay in bed with the parents, but stops that possibility ofg them being suffocated by parents or blankets. As you say, not everyone can afford a cot.

There is no suggestion in the OP that the mother's sleeping next to her child caused the baby's death, quite the opposite in fact.

4 hours ago, SammyT said:

RIP little one. 

Yes they do, and I find it very odd that there were a few posters willing to chip in and claim that there are not when they clearly have no idea.  From the government down to diaper manufacturers, there is loads of info out there, just a few examples:

https://th.theasianparent.com/โรคไหลตายในทารก-sids

https://www.fhs.gov.hk/english/other_languages/thai/child_health/new_born/14799.html

https://www.pharmacy.mahidol.ac.th/th/knowledge/article/315/โรคไหลตายในทารก/

https://www.amarinbabyandkids.com/parenting/baby/sids/

https://babylove.co.th/บทความเกี่ยวกับลูก/อาการหลับไม่ตื่นในทารก-sids-ภัยเงียบที่ไม่ควรมองข้าม

https://www.praram9.com/knowledge_detail.php?id=95

http://www.healthandtrend.com/parental/baby/sudden-infant-death-syndrome

Many families can't even afford a proper bed for themselves let alone a cot for a baby.

From the post photo it looks like she sleeps on the usual "picnic" arrangement directly on the floor!

A tragic accident that with some fore-thought could have been avoided!

8 hours ago, roo860 said:

Just asked my wife and she says, no.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Our daughter is just over a year old. Whilst in Kanchanaburi hospital we were told by staff that she should sleep on her back, preferably to a year old and that it was dangerous to sleep together when she was very young.

9 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Now the only challenge that remains is how to make young Thai mothers read and study this information. It is not on Facebook or Line so it is boring. Reading and thinking takes time that otherwise is spent preferably on social media, taking selfies and watching poyoyoyoiiiing shows.

RIP little baby. another heart wrenching story and photo in the morning ????

What i see, there is no proper education for teenage moms to teach or show them how to take care of their babies properly.

Authorities should open such courses for young moms to prevent such heart wrenching stories to ever happen.

Archived