7D ii Needs New Mainboard - Is it worthwhile?

Smithson

A little over a month ago I bought a second hand 7D ii for B15,000. One day auto focus and the shutter button weren't working, I tried a few things, the last being to reinstall the firmware. It wouln't get past 8%, so I took it to the Canon service center who told me it needs a new mainboard, which costs B13,000 including installation.

I'm wondering if it's worthwhile or if something else is likely to go wrong with the camera? Another option would to buy a mainboard online for less the $200 and have it installed. Or is asking for trouble? I'm not sure if anyone over here could install it?

Thanks in advance for replies.

2 hours ago, WonnabeBiker said:

Where is your 7 made? If in Vietnam, I know a huge Canon factory in Cac Ninh and could ask over there, cutting out middle men. 

I would consider selling it for parts, if the price can't be lowered.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure where it's made, as it's with Canon now. The box says 'Made in Japan', but it might not be original. I am planning a trip to HCMC towards the end of the month, but the Canon factory is in the north.

The price could be halved by buying a main board online, but that might be just buying a new problem.

The 7D ii is a capable camera. But by current standards in some ways, it is getting long in the tooth with regard to sensor if you value dynamic range highly.

A quick looks finds 80Ds for under 20,000 THB on the second hand market and that almost matches the 7Dii in most areas with exception to some shooting and buffer speed (if I recall correctly), body quality, external buttons, joystick, dual card slots, AF and weatherproofing from memory.

The 80D has a better sensor arguably better AF in live view even even if the standard AF has less points and has a very useful articulated screen with touch feature.

Unless you need the dual slots, I'd say goodbye to the body and look for some suitable replacement. If you haven't invested greatly in lenses, you may find other options if the 80D doesn't suit. The 80 is a very capable camera and is due to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I will be doing mainly birds and sport, so the 7D II is the best option. My thoughts with getting a second hand one, was I could upgrade to the Mark III, which may (or may not) be released in the near future.

I really like the camera, it was so much better than my 650D. So I'm considering getting another and could keep the broken one for parts. I've also considered the 6D mark I, it's cheaper and full frame. Tough decisions!

5 hours ago, Smithson said:

Thanks for the advice. I will be doing mainly birds and sport, so the 7D II is the best option. My thoughts with getting a second hand one, was I could upgrade to the Mark III, which may (or may not) be released in the near future.

I really like the camera, it was so much better than my 650D. So I'm considering getting another and could keep the broken one for parts. I've also considered the 6D mark I, it's cheaper and full frame. Tough decisions!

You will be very disappointed in the 6D mark 1 for birding. It has only 2 more focus points than your 650D. And only has one cross point focal point as apposed to the 650 all 9 focus points as cross type.

The 650 has a faster shooting rate at 5fps as apposed to the 6D's 4.5fps. The 6D beats the 650D hands down in low light due to the better sensor and it being full frame and therefore having larger photosensors. You will also lose tele length if you go to a full frame. A 400mm on a full frame will give you an image view of 560mm on a crop. In birding, reach is a very high priority.

Give the 80D a try in a shop, I don't think you will miss the couple of extra frames a second you lose. The actual AF might even be better and with the newer sensor the images will be of a higher quality. I still use a 70D for travel and I never use high-speed continuous shooting. I only use continuous shooting for action. Although I do use birding. I think you might be surprised.

But I also appreciate you wanting to stick the the 7Dii. It is a very robust camera and the backup card slot is nice to have. It is a couple of hundred grams heavier than the 80D due to the magnesium body, though.

Let us know what you decide.

FWP, thanks for the advice. I will steer clear of the 6D. I live on the edge of Khao Yai, so lots of shooting birds and now is just coming into the season. My work also involves sport, so the 7D seems perfect. But now looking at the specs on the 80D and considering the price difference, I think I may go with that. It's got a tilt touch screen, same as my 650D, which is the only DSLR I've owned. I was using the 7D II for a few weeks and still couldn't get the hang of the dials and buttons.

Give one a try at Big Camera or whereever and set it to highspeed continuous and see what you think.

You are in a great location for birding. I look forward to seeing some of the shots you get.

Do you mind if I ask what lenses you are using for birding. I had a 100-400L mk2 and absolutely loved it but couldn't justify keeping it as I rarely got the chance to use it and sold it to buy a few more day to day lenses. But I don't have a tele anymore. My longest lens is a 100 prime. I'd be interested to know what you are looking for in the way of lens.

I have a Tamron 150 - 600, which I've been happy with although it can get dark here, so I was wanting something a bit faster. I've just bought a second hand Tokina 300mm f2.8 and 1.4 teleconverter but haven't had a chance to use it. From what I've read it's an good value set up - for around $1,000 I get a 420 f4. I'll post pics in the birding thread when I get some decent one.

Here's some shorts from the 650D with the Tamron 150 - 600mm. They've been 'saved for web', so a drop in quality.

IMG_9526.jpg

IMG_6309.jpg

IMG_5552.jpg

IMG_03891.jpg

IMG_2863.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

Archived