Prison chain-gang cleans out Pattaya sewers

Rimmer

Prison chain-gang cleans out Pattaya sewers

image.png

PATTAYA:--Prison inmates continued their work to scrape out clogged sewers in Pattaya.

Deputy Mayor Banlue Kullavanijaya thanked Sanitation Department workers and convicts from Pattaya Remand Prison as they worked on drainage pipes at Sawang Pruktaram Temple, on Soi Buakhao and Third Road Feb. 21.

Well-behaved inmates were put to work around the city Dec. 4, climbing down into sewers and scraping out the garbage, muck and other waste impeding the flow of wastewater and storm runoff.

The convicts’ work assignment runs through early March. (PCPR)

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-01-03--

Just now, simtemple said:

A cruel and unusual punishment. Clearly slave labour is widely accepted in Thailand.

Whilst pointing elsewhere is no argument, I saw chain gangs in Arizona that were no better!

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Having done community service back in the day in the UK, I can assure you it really does not effect you in any pro-active way. But, I think if I had been in a chain gang doing this I'd certainly never have bad thought ever again !

What was your crime Richard? 

25 minutes ago, Tonyt00 said:

The sewers have been cleaned out by prisoners for at least 35 years, they I know of. 

Yep, Pattaya has a long history of not paying anyone to clean up the city, preferring to pocket the $$$$$$$$$$ (Baht actually :happy:)  that are allocated :shock1:

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Having done community service back in the day in the UK, I can assure you it really does not effect you in any pro-active way. But, I think if I had been in a chain gang doing this I'd certainly never have bad thought ever again !

UK Community Service Vs A Thai Prison. No real comparison i feel. 

Chain gangs should be existing everywhere.

At least then those prissoners do something back for the community except cost only money.

Also a good way for those overstayers who can't afford a ticket to pay for it.

21 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Well-behaved inmates were put to work

A real incentive!  These stories are trotted out every year - two today in fact.  Why don't they use these well-behaved guys to clear up the litter & dumped garbage?

I am sure i saw 

Jean Valjean
Les Misérables character
Monsieur Madeleine par Gustave Brion.jpg
Jean Valjean disguised as Monsieur Madeleine. Illustration by Gustave Brion.
Created by Victor Hugo
Portrayed by Harry Baur
Fredric March
Michael Rennie
Richard Jordan
Liam Neeson
Hugh Jackman
Dominic West
Information
Full name Jean Valjean
Alias
  • Monsieur Madeleine
  • Ultime Fauchelevent
  • Urbain Fabre
  • Prisoner 24601
  • Prisoner 9430
Nickname Monsieur Leblanc
Gender Male
Occupation
Family
  • Jean Valjean Sr. (father)
  • Jeanne Mathieu (mother)
  • Jeanne (sister)
  • Unnamed brother
  • Seven unnamed nieces and nephews
Children Cosette (surrogate daughter; no legal or blood relation)
Relatives
Religion Roman Catholic
Nationality French
Born 1769
Death 1833 (aged 64)

Jean Valjean 

17 hours ago, UnkleGoooose said:

If you're a "well behaved" prisoner you get to clean out turds, tampons and god knows what else. And if you misbehave....................?

You get to cook them up for the other inmates?

?

17 hours ago, simtemple said:

A cruel and unusual punishment. Clearly slave labour is widely accepted in Thailand.

I have worked in sewers doing surveys on the tunnels. As well as the expected, dead cats and dogs were also the norm.

Not the best pay in the world but it gave me a great stepping stone to a better job and career.

I wouldn't say it is a cruel punishment.

At the end of the day it is a job that has to be done.

From my experience I think it would be fair to give them a day off their sentence for everyday worked.

18 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Interesting - I wonder if they found any coins or jewelry among the sludge? I believe this is a source of income for the low-caste street dwellers in India when cleaning out gutters and sewers.

About 60 years ago I worked in a wash house in Liverpool where people took their laundry. Cleaning out the sump was the plumb job ,because I had least seniority I only got to do it once. Found a ring, I turned in but all the change went in my pocket. I found a few low spots the change sat in before getting in to the main sewer. Made enough for my bus fare, a pint and meat pie for lunch every day.

On 2/28/2019 at 11:02 PM, watcharacters said:

Now this is some positive news.

win - win for all involved

How is the exposure of at risk marginalized people to infectious disease and toxic waste a win?

Look at the workers. Aside from cheap latex gloves, no protective equipment of any kind. They are being forced into dealing with waste/debris that is classified as a biohazard. These inmates are at risk because many are in prison for drug related offences. Drug users in Thailand  have a higher incidence of TB and immune system suppressed related conditions. This makes them more vulnerable to opportunistic infections. It is morally wrong and  evil to have workers climbing into sewers wearing flip flops. They will come out with fungus and parasites attached to their feet. No amount of rinsing will clean that away.  It is unacceptable to have these people in shorts and tshirts  climbing into sewers and drainage pipers where dengue carrying mosquitoes are in high concentration. If they are going to do this work, then give them the appropriate clothes and protective  gear.

10 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

How is the exposure of at risk marginalized people to infectious disease and toxic waste a win?

Look at the workers. Aside from cheap latex gloves, no protective equipment of any kind. They are being forced into dealing with waste/debris that is classified as a biohazard. These inmates are at risk because many are in prison for drug related offences. Drug users in Thailand  have a higher incidence of TB and immune system suppressed related conditions. This makes them more vulnerable to opportunistic infections. It is morally wrong and  evil to have workers climbing into sewers wearing flip flops. They will come out with fungus and parasites attached to their feet. No amount of rinsing will clean that away.  It is unacceptable to have these people in shorts and tshirts  climbing into sewers and drainage pipers where dengue carrying mosquitoes are in high concentration. If they are going to do this work, then give them the appropriate clothes and protective  gear.

I totally agree with every thing you said

Archived