Koh Larn landfill to expand, incinerator mulled

Rimmer

Koh Larn landfill to expand, incinerator mulled

image.png

PATTAYA:--With new regulations blocking Pattaya from hauling Koh Larn’s garbage to the mainland, city hall is expanding the island’s landfill and is considering building an incinerator.

City council Chairman Anan Ankanawisan led a delegation of city workers and officials to Koh Larn Feb. 18 to survey work to expand the existing, overflowing landfill.

The city will bring in heavy machinery to dig more space and then lay HDPE sheets to prevent wastewater from seeping into the ground. It will then bury more trash there as, under new Interior Ministry rules, it cannot bring the garbage back to Pattaya for disposal.

Anan said the long-term solution, however, is a trash-to-energy incinerator that would run three times a week. The Pattaya City Council had planned to take up the incinerator plans and budget Feb. 22, but postponed action on it, approving money only for the HDPE.

Koh Larn has been drowning in garbage for years due to the exploding tourist population there and the breakdown of barges that used to bring the trash across Pattaya Bay. At one point there were more than 50 tons of garbage piling up in the island’s dump.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-01-03--

I am surprised no one in authority has looked or thought of a Co-Generation plant. Not only will the garbage disappear but the plant will generate electricity. Non combustible garbage is removed prior to being levied into the furnace and would be a recycled product. Steel, aluminium, etc. would be recycled. Ooops, I forgot this is Thailand! 

31 minutes ago, SinCityGr8One said:

I am surprised no one in authority has looked or thought of a Co-Generation plant. Not only will the garbage disappear but the plant will generate electricity. Non combustible garbage is removed prior to being levied into the furnace and would be a recycled product. Steel, aluminium, etc. would be recycled. Ooops, I forgot this is Thailand! 

Nice idea but that costs money.. dumping is cheaper !

Years ago a news article covering a high tech incinerator described something that could heat garbage to a plasma, thereby reducing contents to elements. Without pollution and with a residue that could be recycled by various industries. Wonder if that technology still exists or if it was not practical? And, if still available, could it be an alternative here?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived