Good bamboo builder for furniture

kd2000

Hi

I would like to custom order bamboo furnitures for my home. 

Tables, benches etc. 

Could someone recommend a good shop. Preferably in San sai / Mae rim area. 

thanks 7

You need to head to Ban Tawai where they have the outlets.

from there you can order or gleen where their factory and suppliers are.

It doesnt really matter where they make the stuff because everyone will deliver to anywhere.

Even the outlets are expensive, if you can find a family friend or local person you can get tables and chairs for half the price with the same quality. I know someone, but I'm 900km from you so not a great deal of use sorry.

If you drive around Baan Tawai look around for smaller family run shops a bit outside the main area / market .
We found a shop year’s ago and had 3 4seater sofas custom made from water hyacinth - arranged U-shaped - for 32.000 baht including cushions and pillows made from good quality material not the ones worn out and sat through after a year.
Also be careful with bamboo - it needs to be treated otherwise the bugs will eat it up within a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Agree that bugs (termites?) will eat up the bamboo.  They may prefer some softer woods but will chew on bamboo. 

How to control the bugs is a problem.  Some insecticides with long pointy tubes can direct the chemical into the bamboo, through the tiny holes the insects make. But the eggs may be resistant and in 2 weeks will hatch out another generation of eaters.

Bamboo cheap to buy and DIY. Don't know if i'd go for DIY furniture.

Thank you for all responses. 

I have found a shop near home pro. 

Here is google location 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/igsdS

My order was dining table 2m x 1m + 2 bench. 1350 thb for the set. 

Untread bamboo furnitures under roof will be OK even for 2 years. 

IMO best preservation is good varnish and repainting it every year. 

Much better protection than borax or diesel soaking. 

I use a TOA varnish which is designed for boats. Blue can with a saling boat picture on it. 

Have been treating 2 salas exposed to rain which survived 2 raining season so far. They do have little bug holes but wood is solid and due to varnish maintain it's beauty.

Bottom line the very low cost furnitures could be done very nice and you don't care if they deteriorate within few years. Just replace. 

Archived