Canadian motorbike driver killed in Phuket road accident

webfact

1 hour ago, oldrunner said:

Thailand needs to STOP killing it's tourists on/off bikes. Just stop it. Come here for fun and die. Not nice.

Female Canadian motorcyclists need to drive properly and stop killing themselves in Thailand and contributing to the stats.

26 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Try reading the link for what actually happened, no car was involved.

Car, truck. The same. I know this road and the driving here, you clearly don't.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Try reading the link for what actually happened, no car was involved.

You obviously didn't understand the context of the post and have no idea of that section of road.

What could have contributed to this is her being Canadian.  North America drives on the right so it is normal to "pass" (overtake) on the left. It is a tough thing to overcome when first driving on what is opposite of what you are used to.  

That road where the accident occurred has two car lanes and a dedicated bike lane. 

It's often been said that he who wins gets to write the history. The driver claims the lady panicked and fell under the wheels of his (10 wheeler) truck. I would think it very likely he infringed into the bike lane in cutting the corner.

Years ago my first scary driving experience in Thailand was on that curvy road over the hill, when I naively thought vehicles should drive within their lanes. I nearly killed a little lady on a scooter who suddenly cut in front of me while using all three lanes going around a bend.

Many of my defensive driving habits for this country were largely formed just then.

8 hours ago, madmitch said:

One problem on that road is that part of it have designated, reasonably wide lanes for motorcyclists that suddenly disappear. Looking at the road-lines in the picture, it seems she may have been on one of the wider parts but it's not possible to say with certainty.

As an aside, whatever happened to the police practice of painting white lines around accident debris? Driving down this road a few hours after this unfortunate accident there were absolutely no sign of its occurrence. 

Far,far too much white paint.

I understand their point.Who wants all white roads in Thailand?

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

...or you could read the link that explains what really happened.

The link only explains what the truck driver says "really happened".

He may be telling the absolute truth, or he may be telling a version of the truth that exonerates him from responsibility for this Canadian womans death.

Nobody here on TV is in a position to know the truth.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:51 PM, pr9spk said:

A good quality Arai or Shoei helmet could have saved her life, the 250 baht job from Big C would not have made a difference.

No idea why people without a motorcycle license or, (more importantly) experience of riding a motorcycle rent them in Thailand, which has the 2nd most dangerous roads in the world. First time I rented a motorcycle in Thailand, I already had about 5 years of almost daily experience on a big bike in the UK, and still was shocked at how hairy it was, and how some of the pickup drivers drive.

Tourists ride rental bikes here because enforcement is lax and because they can. And hey , they are on holiday so common sense take a back seat. 

On 3/1/2019 at 5:50 PM, Power of life yoga said:

Very unfortunate for her, but I assume that she didn't have a motorbike license,  you are an absolute muppet if you gamble passing a truck on the inside 

I'll be honest, I read that and then remembered I did exactly this just a few weeks ago, and you're right I'm a muppet. I won't be doing it again.

RIP to the Canadian.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:18 PM, ChipButty said:

How do you assume that? you know something we dont? and the report said OVERTAKING

Overtaking on the LEFT side of the truck, driver tried to move to the right to avoid collision 

8 hours ago, Essex Reject said:

I'll be honest, I read that and then remembered I did exactly this just a few weeks ago, and you're right I'm a muppet. I won't be doing it again.

RIP to the Canadian.

Coming up the left side of the truck there is a huge blind spot for the driver he loses sight of you as you are along side of him

On 3/1/2019 at 8:51 PM, pr9spk said:

A good quality Arai or Shoei helmet could have saved her life, the 250 baht job from Big C would not have made a difference.

No idea why people without a motorcycle license or, (more importantly) experience of riding a motorcycle rent them in Thailand, which has the 2nd most dangerous roads in the world. First time I rented a motorcycle in Thailand, I already had about 5 years of almost daily experience on a big bike in the UK, and still was shocked at how hairy it was, and how some of the pickup drivers drive.

I agree with you,  I also have alot of riding experience. 

It amazes me how fast these idiot's go on bikes/cars.

Every time I get on the road here in Thailand it's a big gamble 

20 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

You pass on the left side instead of the right side. ergo undertaking and overtaking (yes, I know it's strange, but, it's in use all over the world).

With only 878 posts, you're basically a "new be".  Undertaking is the term used in Thailand for trying to pass someone on the left side, as on the motorbike lane. 

32 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:
20 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

You pass on the left side instead of the right side. ergo undertaking and overtaking (yes, I know it's strange, but, it's in use all over the world).

With only 878 posts, you're basically a "new be".  Undertaking is the term used in Thailand for trying to pass someone on the left side, as on the motorbike lane. 

You basically just agreed with him, read again.

My thoughts are that this poster has far more posts than you. ????

5 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Been here since 2004 in one form, or another, so, I wouldn't give post count much credence.

Re-read my post. I said undertaking is passing on the left side (post #25).

I guess having over 6000 posts hasn't really helped with your reading comprehension, has it? :cheesy:

On 3/3/2019 at 7:56 AM, ChipButty said:

Coming up the left side of the truck there is a huge blind spot for the driver he loses sight of you as you are along side of him

Yes. My logic was that he has no reason at all to move further to the left, and he never, but yes it was stupid and lesson learnt.

Archived