Termite invasion !!!

Farang two dot zero

If the infestation is already visible it's likely too late for DIY.

Call the professionals and prepare for a big bill to fix the damage alread done ????

What is the house made of? Where are the beasties visible?

I just read this old thread too 

Well this is what i know about the process for your termites, we must to have to go through a serious pest control company that does not just spray. For termites, it is useless because the nests are often in the foundations. The company makes holes with a big, angled perforator and injects product into the top of the walls and from the bottom of the walls into the foundations. Someone can confirm this ?

By the way this company look interesting https://www.rentokil.co.th

Been there myself, it's really scary how fast the termites can progress through the woodwork, and it's definitely one for the professionals to fix. Try tapping what looks like solid wood, it might well sound hollow, showing that the little bleeders are already inside and chowing down on the wood. A harder knock and you'll probably break through to their network of tunnels. They need dampness to live so try to make sure your floors and house are always as dry as they can be. You'll need annual spraying too, I have a pipework system installed in the foundations of my house which the lest control people pump termiticide into, plus for good measure they also inject it into a series of holes in the ground all around the house. Termite-free now for five years, touch (termite-free) wood . Good luck.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:05 PM, Farang two dot zero said:

There have been several less than stellar reports on TV from people who tried this company but maybe your local crew are better............

Personally I would try to find a "recommended" local company. Your gf should be able to tap into local knowledge or a local facebook group or similar. Also they are likely to be much cheaper initially.

Try not to disturb the trails. Now you know they are there, you need to get the species identified. Some species will create new nests in the dwelling itself, others always work back to the home base.

I'm not sure if products such as Termidor are available in Thailand or not, but it is worth checking out.

One common way to irradiate the nest is to have the workers cover themselves in the active ingredient and they take it back to the nest. You need the queen dead. And there may be more than one nest. One way to do this is to set up bait stations. These station may be underground or otherwise in darkness. It takes time for the tritters to find the stations and start transferring the tasty poison back to the nest.

After pros have eradicated the nest or put baits in place to do so, it is a good idea to remove leaf litter and other organic matter from any area near any part of the house. Add 6 monthly sprays and visial inspections to keep the termites at bay.

Nests can be many metres from your home so may actually reside at your neighbouring properties.

Good luck with it.

4 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Nests can be many metres from your home so may actually reside at your neighbouring properties.

I have read that the nest may be beneath the house also.

There are people on YouTube that have had great success with getting rid of termites. Depending on your circumstances it could take a bit of thinking, but definitely doable. THE point being that you need to have the termites bring back to the nest, the "food" that does in the queen. 

Most temites in Thailand are sub- terrian so live meters under ground. Spray will not work. Sure it kills some but the survivors mark the area as a warning to the others and move somewhere else.

You need to use a pest control company that uses a product such as exterra or sentricon.

These products are not harmful to humams or pets and attracts the termites to the bait boxes.

The termites eat the bait and take it back to the nest. Once they start to eat the exterra for example. It starts to affect their exoskeleton. It become weak. Their teeth also become weak so can't eat real wood anymore.

You keep feeding them and they feed it to the whole nest. Eventually in the bait boxes you will see large soldier termites. All the workers are dead.

When you see that. The nest is near dead. Keep feeding until you don't see any more.

Don't disturb any trails or the bait boxes.

Once they are gone, Don't remove the bait boxes. Keep bait in them and monitor monthly for any activity.

Please do not put chemicals under the house. It's old fashioned, leeches into the earth and perhaps into the water table.

4 minutes ago, Jimbo1964 said:

Once they are gone, Don't remove the bait boxes

These bait boxes are unsightly, they're hideous after being in place for some time.

you are going to want to remove.

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

Been there myself, it's really scary how fast the termites can progress through the woodwork, and it's definitely one for the professionals to fix. Try tapping what looks like solid wood, it might well sound hollow, showing that the little bleeders are already inside and chowing down on the wood. A harder knock and you'll probably break through to their network of tunnels. They need dampness to live so try to make sure your floors and house are always as dry as they can be. You'll need annual spraying too, I have a pipework system installed in the foundations of my house which the lest control people pump termiticide into, plus for good measure they also inject it into a series of holes in the ground all around the house. Termite-free now for five years, touch (termite-free) wood . Good luck.

Me too and it's a nightmare. They seem to be able to eat the wood from the inside out, so as someone said, by the time you see the damage it's already too late. The only sound advice that I can give is to replace all the damaged wooden fittings with plastic or metal. They also eat the paper holding the plasterboard together in the ceiling, so if you see any infestation up there, have the boards replaced with treated ones. 

Right now you need a cure quickly so the professional route is the way to go. After the infestation problem is resolved then you need to look at future prevention. I found loads of info on YouTube. Some of it is quite simple. 

1 hour ago, VYCM said:

I have read that the nest may be beneath the house also.

Yes and as I briefly mentioned, depending on the species, may be in the house.

Jimbo suggested most species are sub-terrain so hopefully for the OP there is on in-house nest.

If you were in Pattaya I could recommend a farang who uses the best Australian products to kill and keep them away. As an idea of what you will have to pay he charges 8,000 baht and also comes every 3 months to top up and check. After loosing all my kitchen cabinets to these pests its a small price to pay. Try and find someone local and avoid Thai companies if you can they use far inferior products.

we have house near Chaing Rai - unfinished when bought with the land and I decided to renovate it so we could live in it until new house built !  Found that termites had invaded all the woodwork and even the tree roots on the land (trees were dying)

Seems that you need to dig a trench all around the house about 1 metre deep and fill it / soak it with Chaindrite !  When the termites pass through this they take the poison back to the nest with them and this kills off the rest .   Also do this around infested trees .   Seems to work although have to repeat at possible 2/3 yr intervals depending on infestation .  Remove all wooden doors/windows etc and replace with pvc or aluminium . It has been said that termites even eat concrete !!!    Best of luck .

20160111_141606.jpg

20160111_141722.jpg

20160410_150109.jpg

A little off topic but try telling a Thai that termites are not ants. They're absolutely everywhere world wide and the repair/extermination bill runs in to billions of dollars. As for using a professional in Thailand the word oxymoron springs to mind.????

Dont know where you are located but we are using a service called Termite Tech based in Pattaya.  They use a chemical that only has to be applied once a year.  No smell and safe for pets.  We used another service last year.  Had to come monthly and we had to leave the house.l  Did not do any good.  They did not get rid of the termites.  Termite Tech gives you a one year guarantee and includes quarterly inspections. https://termitetech.co.th/

28 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Dont know where you are located but we are using a service called Termite Tech based in Pattaya.  They use a chemical that only has to be applied once a year.  No smell and safe for pets.  We used another service last year.  Had to come monthly and we had to leave the house.l  Did not do any good.  They did not get rid of the termites.  Termite Tech gives you a one year guarantee and includes quarterly inspections. https://termitetech.co.th/

Yes I can recommend Chris as well. As to the OP location, as this is posted in the Issan forum, I suspected he is based up there lol

On 3/1/2019 at 10:05 PM, Farang two dot zero said:

Well this is what i know about the process for your termites, we must to have to go through a serious pest control company that does not just spray. For termites, it is useless because the nests are often in the foundations. The company makes holes with a big, angled perforator and injects product into the top of the walls and from the bottom of the walls into the foundations. Someone can confirm this ?

During the big flood a few years ago, my mooban in Bangkok was not flooded. Good. I thought. Maybe all was not well. Seems the underground termites just migrated to avoid the flooded underground and took refuge at my house. I got termites invasion but others got worse. Roaches and rats ! Anyway I got rentokil to come exterminate the termites. Cost me around tbaht 45,000 where they drilled 18 long holes and sprayed chemicals into them. Problem solved and expensive lesson well learned . Signed on an annual package whereby they inspect your premise regularly. 

We had termites appear a year after we moved in to our house in Hat Yai. When we had the shophouse unit refurbished they discovered a termite nest in the utilities shaft, which they dug out. Obviously that didn't get them all because we suddenly found a couple of galleries appear crossing the walls and disappearing through a plug socket.

We used a company called Advance Services and they did two things. One drill holes through the floors and around the property and pump some barrier chemical down into the ground. Two install feeding stations next to the galleries with a bait called Requiem (excellent name), this contains some sort of wood like material the termites think is wonderful, plus a very low dose cumulative poison. The bait is harmless until after a couple of months the poison level reaches a critical point in the colony and the termites start to die. Eventually they stop coming to the feeding station, and that's when it's all over. Took about three months to kill the colony. Back in 2008 they charged Bht14,000 to eliminate the termites and monitor for the year.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:05 PM, Farang two dot zero said:

If you start to build there is a product or similar call termi mesh. Stops the termites at the foundation.

Coating all wood products not exposed in any wood dipped or painted poison..

I suspect you are far beyond this. It will need lots of deep probes and lots of poison to control.

The above post about "rentokil" is an Aussie base company with a good name for eradication with less toxic poisons.

Good luck.

Just for info you can often see the wood channel that termites create on the outside of a building. On concrete, plaster board or what ever if it leads them to wood.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:05 PM, Farang two dot zero said:

I am facing the same issue in chumphon. We tried spraying but as another poster said. Need to have company do it and they will drill holes and inject poison into the walls and foundation. Cost was not so sever though as suggested. I have 5 bedroom 2 story home and cost was a meager 7000 baht. Plus the come bi-monthly to check and spray more if needed. Best to have a thai searching online or have them talk to friends and coworkers to find a reliable company. 

Good luck

Screenshot_20190224-102210.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I read your comments and I must say that I'm scared !!!

Rentokil has made us a phone quote of 45,000 indeed they are based in Korat. Would you have one or two serious companies on Buriram to recommend to me I find this Rentokil price shocking while some companies do it for 7,000 bath !!!

Archived