BANGKOK 19 April 2019 13:45

Has anyone been up to the dump recently to see what is happening?

Are they clearing it and shipping the stuff to the mainland?

I'm going this week.  What I have been told:  November start moving to the mainland.  Then changed to February. Meeting with Tessabahn this Monday.  I'll post any new information here.

Thanks..... this is about 2 years after they said they would ship to the mainland.

How about the incinerator? 

Is this still a possible tool in solving the problem.

Perhaps one good tool to help to solve the problem would be for everyone to pay the monthly garbage tax.

For those of you renting, if you really want to help to solve the problem instead of just whinging, pay the tax yourself

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Perhaps one good tool to help to solve the problem would be for everyone to pay the monthly garbage tax.

For those of you renting, if you really want to help to solve the problem instead of just whinging, pay the tax yourself

I think any correlation between payment of tax and the 300,000 ton garbage dump on Samui is rather tenuous at best. For years they simply have not attempted to even consider measures to address the problem almost literally sweeping it under a carpet....at least to where it can't be seen.

The seepage from this dump is affecting such things as the ground water and wind bourne plastics that end up adding to mess on the beaches.

You seem to be implying that people aren't paying tax…...and that paying tax would somehow sort the problem.

Firstly I would suggest that it is the local  job to collect any tax due and then the amount collected will no way equal the amount required to resolve this problem.

This is a situation that took years to accumulate and was then only after years reported in the media. The local authorities have promised action and none has been manifested.

The situation is not unique to Samui, many other islands gave the same problem,and it would seem that funding for this has to come not through local taxes but from central government.

Even if the money comes, it needs to be managed and spent without corruption….something that is very difficult to achieve on Thai islands

• Like 1

Picture taken about 10 days ago.  There are hundreds of these line up all around the rubbish dump site.  Several workers operating a bagging machine but no sign of any of it being shipped away

Rubbish.jpg

• Thanks 2

At least that looks like a start.

I presume it will be up to Surat on the mainland to deal with its disposal when it gets there.

They will also need to assess the problems caused by run off from the site which I understand was never prepared for this level o dumping.

• Like 1

I suppose the next problem will be traffic jams caused by the trucks removing the garbage.

I don't know a lot but one thing i do know is if i had just paid 4800 baht on a flight from Bangkok, nigh on three times what the fare should be and the first thing i saw was the garbage strewn all over the place on the airport road and opposite Seatran and then capped off my first few minutes by getting fleeced on a taxi fare on arrival at my villa i'd be none too happy.  But what do i know.......shall i just pretend were a high end boutique island and its all fine and dandy?  What a pleasant fiction that would be!!

23 hours ago, wilcopops said:

You seem to be implying that people aren't paying tax…...and that paying tax would somehow sort the problem.

Firstly I would suggest that it is the local  job to collect any tax due and then the amount collected will no way equal the amount required to resolve this problem.

Fine words and you always manage to try and blame others.

I know that most people are not paying the tax and have never paid it. That is why the local council is removing bins. They are not being paid for. Yes - I go to the council office and talk to them instead of pontificating on this forum.

'Firstly I would suggest that it is the local  job to collect any tax due'

You obviously do not understand how things work. How do 'the local job' know that you are dumping garbage? They only know IF YOU TELL THEM. It is a fixed monthly sum.

Most Thais do not dump garbage. They burn it. Putting garbage in bins is an option. I have written on this subject a number of times and the response from the people, like yourself, is usually the same. It is the 'their' job to get the money. Well - they will come and collect it if you go and register. Most hotels register. Very few farangs register. I have registered all of my customers, but the other 100 or so owners in this area just dump their garbage and then moan about the mess.

Sorry - you are high on opinion and low on action. Pay the tax! It is not that painful. Honest.

• Like 2

The situation regards garbage is something that needs to be discussed and dealt with at the highest level.  The island generates huge revenue that can easily pay to deal with this and the lack of bins and system of collection is unacceptable and damaging the islands reputation.  But, its something the Thais need to recognize and deal with.  This tends to be the type of subject matter when one is reminded one is a guest!

Perhaps the solution is to use the electricity department to collect the tax, based upon electricity usage.

For example, a flat 5% rate - a 'normal' household paying up to 1,000 for lights would pay an extra 50 baht per month and (based on a 1 bin per 100 baht paid) be entitled to one bin, while a large resort would use significantly more electricity so could pay 1,000 per month tax (20k electricity bill?) and get 10 bins.

Everyone pays their electricity bill. Today the garbage tax is seen as optional so naturally people will ignore it and just use other suckers bins...

33 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Everyone pays their electricity bill. 

Good one,

This would be like be able to pay your water bill at the PEA at BigC. 

BTW,  the squatters pays nothing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

Good one,

This would be like be able to pay your water bill at the PEA at BigC. 

Not sure what your drift is here, but it is nothing of the sort. It is collecting electricity and garbage rates in one bill, using the notion the more electricity you use, the more garbage you will supposedly generate.