Samui rubbish dump

Many people seem to be concerned with the collection of garbage ....this is only part of the problem.....the elephant in the room, and it has been there for at least 8 years is the problem of DISPOSAL or treatment of the garbage, I. E. the garbage dump itself which is an eco-disaster.

As things stand Samui has neither the capacity to process its own garbage nor treat its own waste water....... for an island that relies on its natural beauty and resources for its very existence, this is a lamentable state of affairs.

7 hours ago, wilcopops said:

Many people seem to be concerned with the collection of garbage ....this is only part of the problem.....the elephant in the room, and it has been there for at least 8 years is the problem of DISPOSAL or treatment of the garbage, I. E. the garbage dump itself which is an eco-disaster.

As things stand Samui has neither the capacity to process its own garbage nor treat its own waste water....... for an island that relies on its natural beauty and resources for its very existence, this is a lamentable state of affairs.

You belittle the people who suggest actions for residents that help to improve the situation and where we all can make a positive impact to life on the island. On the other hand you spout on about the big picture issue and state the obvious on something where none of us has any impact.

You started the discussion with a question about the status of the garbage disposal on the island and then moved on to lecture people about the exact same topic you let us believe you had no knowledge about. 

Apologies but it comes a cross like the mad rant of an old geezer who has nothing better to do (yes - and I am the other old geezer who nibbled on the bait).

1 hour ago, huberthammer said:

You belittle the people who suggest actions for residents that help to improve the situation and where we all can make a positive impact to life on the island. On the other hand you spout on about the big picture issue and state the obvious on something where none of us has any impact.

You started the discussion with a question about the status of the garbage disposal on the island and then moved on to lecture people about the exact same topic you let us believe you had no knowledge about. 

Apologies but it comes a cross like the mad rant of an old geezer who has nothing better to do (yes - and I am the other old geezer who nibbled on the bait).

Please note my initial title is about "THE DUMP"

As you seem not to have read it, here is a reminder....

Has anyone been up to the dump recently to see what is happening?

Are they clearing it and shipping the stuff to the mainland?

The truth is that no matter how much garbage you tidy up, clean up or whatever, it just ends up on the dump.... it is no more than sweeping under the carpet. 

Out of sight out of mind.

My query is about the dump and disposal, NOT collection.

The fact is if people don't understand the situation then it is hardly surprising they think there is little they can do.

I'm not convinced this is the case  anyhow.

2 hours ago, wilcopops said:

The truth is that no matter how much garbage you tidy up, clean up or whatever, it just ends up on the dump.... it is no more than sweeping under the carpet. 

Out of sight out of mind.

My query is about the dump and disposal, NOT collection.

The fact is if people don't understand the situation then it is hardly surprising they think there is little they can do.

I'm not convinced this is the case  anyhow.

Believe you should address your concern to the authorities of Samui about this matter, they are the ones that can do anything – we expat residents can only sort our garbage, and pay the going rates for collection, and stop dumping black bags on the sidewalks (some must do that, as there are new bags every single evening) – if "people" are us, the other forum posters, I do believe that we all "understand", but what do you suggest we can do..?

???? 

43 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

My understanding is there is a lack of funding.

Funding for collection, dump 'management' and eventual removal/incineration.

Can't discuss one without the other...

They are 2 issues that are not actually connected.......... the collected garbage was originally meant to be incinerated but it was the dump that failed not the collection. Collection has continued to fill the dump........

Funding for clearing the dump will most likely have to come from central govt. It is an "extra" task not connected to collection

The dump is a hazard that has been overloaded for 8 years...this is from garbage collected from tourism and related habitation.

The job in hand is to rid the island of the canker of this dump.

You can change the collection system all you line but it will make no difference to the situation regarding the dump....that is a disposal or storage problem.

This can be done regardless of how they collect the garbage every day.

One hopes of course once the garbage has been removed from the dump a suitable system for disposing of future collections will be adopted.

The site itself was never designed to hold this amount or even this type of garbage.....land has to be prepared for this and without it inappropriate waste is mingled on one unsuitable site. This means that chemical waste etc is being allowed to seep into the environment, polluting both soil and water.

Even when the garbage has been removed, all the soil and sub soil will gave to be cleaned away and the ground water checked gor contaminants.

Then another disposal system for the collected garbage will have to be put in place.

14 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Believe you should address your concern to the authorities of Samui about this matter, they are the ones that can do anything – we expat residents can only sort our garbage, and pay the going rates for collection, and stop dumping black bags on the sidewalks (some must do that, as there are new bags every single evening) – if "people" are us, the other forum posters, I do believe that we all "understand", but what do you suggest we can do..?

???? 

"Throughout history it has been the inaction of those who could have acted, the indifference of those who should have known better, the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most, that has made it possible for evil to triumph." Haile Selassie

On 4/8/2019 at 10:49 AM, Tropicalevo said:

That is why the local council is removing bins. They are not being paid for. Yes - I go to the council office and talk to them instead of pontificating on this forum.

The island is generating billions a year in tourism money.

Yes it is their, and solely their responsibility to collect the money and manage garbage to continue milking the cow.

On 4/10/2019 at 4:36 PM, ParadiseLost said:

My understanding is there is a lack of funding.

Funding for collection, dump 'management' and eventual removal/incineration.

Can't discuss one without the other...

Well said.

If everyone paid the garbage tax instead of whining and making excuses, there would be more funding on a regular basis.

9 hours ago, AtoZ said:

The island is generating billions a year in tourism money.

Yes it is their, and solely their responsibility to collect the money and manage garbage to continue milking the cow.

So have you registered so that they can come and collect the money from you? They collect the money from me every week.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:00 PM, carmine said:

The situation regards garbage is something that needs to be discussed and dealt with at the highest level.  The island generates huge revenue that can easily pay to deal with this and the lack of bins and system of collection is unacceptable and damaging the islands reputation.  But, its something the Thais need to recognize and deal with.  This tends to be the type of subject matter when one is reminded one is a guest!

You appear not to have much experience of LOS.

They know, of course, but they don't care. Dealing with the problem costs money and the money that should be used for that…………….

Well, most long term farang expats know what happens to that.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you actually believe that the money would be spent on the rubbish problem?

Let me try a lesson in logic.

If you pay some money (garbage tax) then some of that money will be used to try and solve the problem.

If you pay NO money - then for sure, No money will be used to solve the problem.

It seems that most posters here go for option 2 and then just bitch and whine.

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

If you pay some money (garbage tax) then some of that money will be used to try and solve the problem.

If you pay NO money - then for sure, No money will be used to solve the problem.

Sadly logic and yourself obviously don't mix as your premise is completely incorrect - you have missed the content and yet again resorted to cynicism to cover lack of understanding of the issues.

BTW - it has already been explained why a garbage tx can't / won't help the problem

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Thailand is not poor, they milk billions of tourists. Garbage solution system should be in place like it is in most other countries.

You can give them millions, they will just steal the millions and leave you with the garbage.

Maybe they will pay few Somchais couple thousands to burn it next to your house.

7 hours ago, AtoZ said:

Thailand is not poor, they milk billions of tourists. Garbage solution system should be in place like it is in most other countries.

You can give them millions, they will just steal the millions and leave you with the garbage.

Maybe they will pay few Somchais couple thousands to burn it next to your house.

Correct, Thailand is not poor, butthew way the princes are funded is crucial in understanding how the garbage has NOT BEEN CLEARED or disposed of on Samui. 

Corruption graft and nepotism throughout the country lead to people in positions of power they do not merit and in jobs they are unqualified to do, and funds "disappearing"  however they managed to buy an enormous incinerator - which they haven't used for 8 years - the scandal of Samui's garbage pile is a world wide disgrace and it seems the local authorities are just beginning to export the stuff to the mainland - it may well be a case on too little to late.......but to just put it down to corruption is way, way too simplistic as is talking about garbage collection.

Collection's not a problem - they managed quite successfully to get 300,000 tonnes of the stuff and stick it on top of a hill next the prison.........

12 hours ago, wilcopops said:

Correct, Thailand is not poor, butthew way the princes are funded is crucial in understanding how the garbage has NOT BEEN CLEARED or disposed of on Samui. 

Corruption graft and nepotism throughout the country lead to people in positions of power they do not merit and in jobs they are unqualified to do, and funds "disappearing"  however they managed to buy an enormous incinerator - which they haven't used for 8 years - the scandal of Samui's garbage pile is a world wide disgrace and it seems the local authorities are just beginning to export the stuff to the mainland - it may well be a case on too little to late.......but to just put it down to corruption is way, way too simplistic as is talking about garbage collection.

Collection's not a problem - they managed quite successfully to get 300,000 tonnes of the stuff and stick it on top of a hill next the prison.........

and still you pay no taxes and do nothing but whine and pontificate. 'Yawn'.

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

and still you pay no taxes and do nothing but whine and pontificate. 'Yawn'.

This appears to be the standard level of posting for many on Thai visa. This isn't an argument, it's baseless collection of words - assumption and no reason -

Personally I've been paying tax in Thailand for 20 years, locally it is collected from the owners of the property I rent, nationally it is income tax.

but I don't think you actually understand how local authorities ae ended in Thailand - as I said before, it isn't the same as in Europe and most western countries - I think you need to look it up.

The concept f "do nothing" is really the result of someone so lacking in imagination that because they can't conceive of doing anything themselves, they assume everyone else is in the same boat. Such a limited outlook.

At the beginning of this thread I asked a question - the reason for this was I wanted to be up to date for a meeting I was having with a Nabob and I wanted to be up to date when I raised the matter.

I'm sorry that you seem totally unconcerned about the rubbish situation here and can do nothing about it, it makes me wonder why you even bother posting with such a negative attitude.

4 hours ago, wilcopops said:

I'm sorry that you seem totally unconcerned about the rubbish situation here and can do nothing about it, it makes me wonder why you even bother posting with such a negative attitude.

Du the garbage situation at Samui improve from posting rants in a Thaivisa local forum..?

On 4/6/2019 at 7:32 PM, Samui Clean said:

I'm going this week.  What I have been told:  November start moving to the mainland.  Then changed to February. Meeting with Tessabahn this Monday.  I'll post any new information here.

Update:  22/04/2019.  The dump/tip is on fire.  They're calling it an "Accident".  Maybe something will finally be done.  Met with the Tessebahn recently.  I couldn't get a straight answer as to what was happening with the transfer to the mainland.  Regardless, this was bound to happen as you can imagine the gases up there.  Lots of fuel.  Should be burning for a few days.  Tell everyone you know to move for a few days (at least).  Toxic air from the burning plastic.  More dangerous than anyone realizes.  Will stop by on Thursday as we (Trash Hero) will be cleaning in BangKao.

8 hours ago, Samui Clean said:

Update:  22/04/2019.  The dump/tip is on fire.  They're calling it an "Accident".  Maybe something will finally be done.  Met with the Tessebahn recently.  I couldn't get a straight answer as to what was happening with the transfer to the mainland.  Regardless, this was bound to happen as you can imagine the gases up there.  Lots of fuel.  Should be burning for a few days.  Tell everyone you know to move for a few days (at least).  Toxic air from the burning plastic.  More dangerous than anyone realizes.  Will stop by on Thursday as we (Trash Hero) will be cleaning in BangKao.

A fire could be a major disaster for Samui.....as there is no telling what toxic chemicals plastics etc are on the site. Again the run off from extinguishing any fire up there could damage ground water and potentially kill of and wells.

Is the fire being covered in the media.

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

There's a few lines on The Nation under Breaking News http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30327829

This story, from 27th September 2017, was about Koh Tao, some 55 kilometers north of Koh Samui...

A fire broke out at a 40,000-tonne garbage dump in Tambon Koh Tao of Surat Thani’s Koh Pha-ngan district on Wednesday morning, the tambon’s kamnan, Kobchai Saowalak, said.

It was suspected that the large blaze began after some people set fire to car tyres near the garbage piles, which had been lying there for a week pending transport to the mainland.

The fire sent thick smoke that could been seen from far.

As of production time, officials were still trying to control the blaze amid concerns that it might affect tourism on Koh Tao.

Archived