BANGKOK 23 April 2019 15:50

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Let me try a lesson in logic.

If you pay some money (garbage tax) then some of that money will be used to try and solve the problem.

If you pay NO money - then for sure, No money will be used to solve the problem.

It seems that most posters here go for option 2 and then just bitch and whine.

Sadly logic and yourself obviously don't mix as your premise is completely incorrect - you have missed the content and yet again resorted to cynicism to cover lack of understanding of the issues.

BTW - it has already been explained why a garbage tx can't / won't help the problem

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Let me try a lesson in logic.

If you pay some money (garbage tax) then some of that money will be used to try and solve the problem.

If you pay NO money - then for sure, No money will be used to solve the problem.

It seems that most posters here go for option 2 and then just bitch and whine.

Thailand is not poor, they milk billions of tourists. Garbage solution system should be in place like it is in most other countries.

You can give them millions, they will just steal the millions and leave you with the garbage.

Maybe they will pay few Somchais couple thousands to burn it next to your house.

Edited by AtoZ

7 hours ago, AtoZ said:

Thailand is not poor, they milk billions of tourists. Garbage solution system should be in place like it is in most other countries.

You can give them millions, they will just steal the millions and leave you with the garbage.

Maybe they will pay few Somchais couple thousands to burn it next to your house.

Correct, Thailand is not poor, butthew way the princes are funded is crucial in understanding how the garbage has NOT BEEN CLEARED or disposed of on Samui. 

Corruption graft and nepotism throughout the country lead to people in positions of power they do not merit and in jobs they are unqualified to do, and funds "disappearing"  however they managed to buy an enormous incinerator - which they haven't used for 8 years - the scandal of Samui's garbage pile is a world wide disgrace and it seems the local authorities are just beginning to export the stuff to the mainland - it may well be a case on too little to late.......but to just put it down to corruption is way, way too simplistic as is talking about garbage collection.

Collection's not a problem - they managed quite successfully to get 300,000 tonnes of the stuff and stick it on top of a hill next the prison.........

Edited by wilcopops

12 hours ago, wilcopops said:

Correct, Thailand is not poor, butthew way the princes are funded is crucial in understanding how the garbage has NOT BEEN CLEARED or disposed of on Samui. 

Corruption graft and nepotism throughout the country lead to people in positions of power they do not merit and in jobs they are unqualified to do, and funds "disappearing"  however they managed to buy an enormous incinerator - which they haven't used for 8 years - the scandal of Samui's garbage pile is a world wide disgrace and it seems the local authorities are just beginning to export the stuff to the mainland - it may well be a case on too little to late.......but to just put it down to corruption is way, way too simplistic as is talking about garbage collection.

Collection's not a problem - they managed quite successfully to get 300,000 tonnes of the stuff and stick it on top of a hill next the prison.........

and still you pay no taxes and do nothing but whine and pontificate. 'Yawn'.

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

and still you pay no taxes and do nothing but whine and pontificate. 'Yawn'.

This appears to be the standard level of posting for many on Thai visa. This isn't an argument, it's baseless collection of words - assumption and no reason -

Personally I've been paying tax in Thailand for 20 years, locally it is collected from the owners of the property I rent, nationally it is income tax.

but I don't think you actually understand how local authorities ae ended in Thailand - as I said before, it isn't the same as in Europe and most western countries - I think you need to look it up.

The concept f "do nothing" is really the result of someone so lacking in imagination that because they can't conceive of doing anything themselves, they assume everyone else is in the same boat. Such a limited outlook.

At the beginning of this thread I asked a question - the reason for this was I wanted to be up to date for a meeting I was having with a Nabob and I wanted to be up to date when I raised the matter.

I'm sorry that you seem totally unconcerned about the rubbish situation here and can do nothing about it, it makes me wonder why you even bother posting with such a negative attitude.

Edited by wilcopops

4 hours ago, wilcopops said:

I'm sorry that you seem totally unconcerned about the rubbish situation here and can do nothing about it, it makes me wonder why you even bother posting with such a negative attitude.

Du the garbage situation at Samui improve from posting rants in a Thaivisa local forum..?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Du the garbage situation at Samui improve from posting rants in a Thaivisa local forum..?

Some people learn quite a lot from Thaivisa..... others wouldn't learn if you rubbed their noses in it.

8 hours ago, Samui Clean said:

Update:  22/04/2019.  The dump/tip is on fire.  They're calling it an "Accident".  Maybe something will finally be done.  Met with the Tessebahn recently.  I couldn't get a straight answer as to what was happening with the transfer to the mainland.  Regardless, this was bound to happen as you can imagine the gases up there.  Lots of fuel.  Should be burning for a few days.  Tell everyone you know to move for a few days (at least).  Toxic air from the burning plastic.  More dangerous than anyone realizes.  Will stop by on Thursday as we (Trash Hero) will be cleaning in BangKao.

A fire could be a major disaster for Samui.....as there is no telling what toxic chemicals plastics etc are on the site. Again the run off from extinguishing any fire up there could damage ground water and potentially kill of and wells.

Is the fire being covered in the media.

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

There's a few lines on The Nation under Breaking News http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30327829

This story, from 27th September 2017, was about Koh Tao, some 55 kilometers north of Koh Samui...

A fire broke out at a 40,000-tonne garbage dump in Tambon Koh Tao of Surat Thani’s Koh Pha-ngan district on Wednesday morning, the tambon’s kamnan, Kobchai Saowalak, said.

It was suspected that the large blaze began after some people set fire to car tyres near the garbage piles, which had been lying there for a week pending transport to the mainland.

The fire sent thick smoke that could been seen from far.

As of production time, officials were still trying to control the blaze amid concerns that it might affect tourism on Koh Tao.

Edited by khunPer