Left turn on red

In the Thai road rules test, I see it is permissible to turn left on red if there is a sign which says so. However, I constantly see cars and scooters doing left turns on red where there are no signs. Is that still permissible?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Is that still permissible?

It would not be legal, but happens all the time. You've either got lawless drivers doing it and taking their chances or the road lights are so poorly placed there is no need to wait at the red light as there is no traffic merging from right. Just need to be sure there isn't a BiB hiding behind a power pole further up the road.

I think, could be wrong, that if the arrow on the sign is blue then you can travel through on a red light
If the arrow is red then you cannot travel through

Sure somebody will correct that statement in due course....

The fact that everybody seems to go whichever sign is in place is just due to the driving standards and enforcements here..

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

It would not be legal, but happens all the time. You've either got lawless drivers doing it and taking their chances or the road lights are so poorly placed there is no need to wait at the red light as there is no traffic merging from right. Just need to be sure there isn't a BiB hiding behind a power pole further up the road.

Correct. Left-on-red is illegal in all circumstances unless there's a sign that states it is permitted. Typically, it is a small, white-(Thai) text on blue-background sign versus a much larger white sign with black/red text and arrows on the prohibition advisory signage. The ones in Pattaya are also in (bad) English.

As you say, following the herd in this instance can and will lead to a traffic ticket.

2 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

I think, could be wrong, that if the arrow on the sign is blue then you can travel through on a red light
If the arrow is red then you cannot travel through

Sure somebody will correct that statement in due course....

The fact that everybody seems to go whichever sign is in place is just due to the driving standards and enforcements here..

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Good point. There is no 'universal' signage where left-on-red is permitted but the blue arrow versus red arrow would be a(nother) local variation.

3 hours ago, brokenbone said:

its not a hazard per se, but unfortunately everyone thinks

they have right of way and turn left in spite of traficants

coming from the intersection, who do have right of way

The car turning left on red has to give way

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

Unless signposted otherwise, any car turning left on red is breaking the law regardless if he/she gives way or not.

There now follows a quiet interlude for a collective chuckle about law-abiding drivers in LOS.

2 hours ago, johng said:

I always understood it was ok to turn left on red if its clear to do so and no signs prohibiting it ?

I suspect if there is a law, it's more honoured in the breach than observance. As long as there's no BIB up the road, a camera at the intersection is unlikely to capture the deed, or result in a fine.

5 hours ago, johng said:

I always understood it was ok to turn left on red if its clear to do so and no signs prohibiting it ?

Afaik you may only turn left on red if there is a sign which says you are allowed to do so. It says เลี้ยวซ้ายผ่านตลอด if you put this in Google image search you will find examples.

In reality you will of course see people turning left on red at any intersection. That you might sometimes see signs which say something like "turn left wait for green" does of course contribute to the confusion and might lead people to believe that by default it would be allowed.

10 hours ago, johng said:

it wouldnt be a problem if everyone genuinely understood

that they may under no circumstances cut into ongoing traffic,

unfortunately theres no common sense and self restricting

idea of giving way.

the same self centered view can be seen on traficants

coming out from rungland, they arent giving way

to the ongoing traffic heading for intersection

Interesting thread which leads on to another interesting question - to me anyway!

T junction with traffic lights, but the road marking 'stop' line on the main road doesn't extend to the narrow 'bike lane.

In view of this, does the red traffic light for the main road not apply to 'bikes that stay in the 'bike lane?

17 hours ago, transam said:

But sadly most don't...

Whoever has the biggest car has right of way. Bikes have right of way in all circumstances. In fact, bikes don't have to follow any of the rules of the road, except when they actually cause an accident.

12 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Interesting thread which leads on to another interesting question - to me anyway!

T junction with traffic lights, but the road marking 'stop' line on the main road doesn't extend to the narrow 'bike lane.

In view of this, does the red traffic light for the main road not apply to 'bikes that stay in the 'bike lane?

The stop line doesn't apply to bikes at any point. Bikes need to get in front of all cars to facilitate the Grand Prix start.

12 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The stop line doesn't apply to bikes at any point. Bikes need to get in front of all cars to facilitate the Grand Prix start.

Know what you mean (!????), but there are normally (?) 2 'stop lines' creating a 'box' in front, and I'd always assumed this box was for 'bikes as this is the way it is treated by most 4 wheeled vehicles and bikes.

The traffic light junction to which I'm referring doesn't have the usual 'box', and as the stop line doesn't extend to the narrow 'bike lane - I'm unsure as to whether a red traffic light applies to the 'bike lane.  My confusion isn't helped as most 'bikes stay in the 'bike lane and don't stop, whereas (travelling in the opposite direction) there is a 'box', and 99.9% of 'bikes stop there on a red light.

On 3/2/2019 at 6:45 AM, Lacessit said:

n the Thai road rules test, I see it is permissible to turn left on red if there is a sign which says so. However, I constantly see cars and scooters doing left turns on red where there are no signs. Is that still permissible?

It's always legal ..... unless there's a sign saying it isn't.

On 3/2/2019 at 6:15 AM, Lacessit said:

However, I constantly see cars and scooters doing left turns on red where there are no signs.

On 3/2/2019 at 7:18 AM, NanLaew said:

Left-on-red is illegal in all circumstances unless there's a sign that states it is permitted.

The o/p's question is only about where there are no signs.

50 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Bikes don't have licence plates, so I suppose anything they do is legal because there's no need to worry about cameras.

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's always legal ..... unless there's a sign saying it isn't.

I see. That's why I see vehicles making U-turns where there's a sign prohibiting it.

A lot of times you will see a sign with "left when safe' at lights. It's the interpretation of 'safe' that is the issue when you are coming in from the other direction on green. Where I am a lot of intersections will either have that or a 'turn on lights only' sign (a loose interpretation for the pedants who will predictably storm in). If there is no sign I tend to wait but i see others disregarding the red.

I had a (Farang) guy cut straight in front of my truck yesterday when I was on green and had right of way- he didn't even slow down as he came through the red. His Italian-English vocabulary has since improved though!

Another funny odd one in BKK  All in Thai, was translated to something like only if 2 people in a car is it allowed.... 

Not been that way for some years because being alone would stop and cars behind would blast there horn.

18 hours ago, transam said:
22 hours ago, jackdd said:

But sadly most don't...

It's that they make the turn then merge, but don't look, :thumbsup: as you are supposed to let them do this.   Trust to their amulets and hey, there is always reincarnation.

Archived