Left turn on red

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I observe the signage but never turn right or left, go forward or back unless I am ABSOLUTELY sure that the traffic will allow it. 

Signage, lights, barricades, cones and stripes are merely suggestions to the drivers here. Reality always trumps the rules and I am always ready to instantly yield way to any driver here because the alternative is all too often unpleasant. 

It's a jungle here and that won't change anytime soon. Thems the true rules of the road here. Read 'em and weep. 

19 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Yes, but in fairness, you still drive on the wrong side of the road, so that's just confusing. 

True! I guess if Thailand had a similar law it would also be viewed by some as a "nanny state"? Sometimes nanny is right. IMHO

15 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have driven in California, a flashing red light means stop, then carry on if road is clear.

A flashing yellow light means proceed with caution, and yes you can turn right, left in Thailand, on

a red if the road is clear, unless there is a sign telling you not to.

And you have to stop to make sure a turn is safe.

2 minutes ago, elgenon said:

True! I guess if Thailand had a similar law it would also be viewed by some as a "nanny state"? Sometimes nanny is right. IMHO

What, smack them and send them to bed without any dinner?   Well it might work, worth a try. 

16 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

What, smack them and send them to bed without any dinner?   Well it might work, worth a try. 

Maybe will get the Californians to drive on the "correct" side of the road? I think the accidents and fines would provide a bigger smack.

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

There is]]are not any rules over here where on the road is concerned, there are rules on paper but that means nothing, you ask a policeman anywhere except maybe Pattaya, some will say "yes you can turn left on a red light where there is no sign and the road is clear", and another will say "no you can't", as far as I am concerned, it is all down to common sense, very few Thais have it on the road, so your first priority is to avoid any accidents and keep yourself safe.

Got stopped on an inter state highway for speeding at 130kph. Asked the copper what the speed limit was. "I don't know but you were going too fast" was his reply.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:06 PM, NanLaew said:

Unless signposted otherwise, any car turning left on red is breaking the law regardless if he/she gives way or not.

There now follows a quiet interlude for a collective chuckle about law-abiding drivers in LOS.

Like most things in LOS, it's illegal if the cop thinks it is. I don't recall ever seeing a sign saying it was permitted or not. I always turned left on red, so perhaps I was just lucky not to ever be ticketed.

On 3/2/2019 at 7:56 AM, brokenbone said:

its not a hazard per se, but unfortunately everyone thinks

they have right of way and turn left in spite of traficants

coming from the intersection, who do have right of way

And then, after so proudly obstructing oncoming traffic, the sit there for a bit, basking in their glory, before finding the accelerator and getting out of the way!

there is a sign on a third road junction,, only turn left when the lights allow,, (something like that) no one takes a blind bit of notice, first time i stopped, got a lot of hassle, now me like thai driver,,  what sign ??

13 hours ago, mercman24 said:

there is a sign on a third road junction,, only turn left when the lights allow,, (something like that) no one takes a blind bit of notice, first time i stopped, got a lot of hassle, now me like thai driver,,  what sign ??

If you mean the "Turn left waiting light" sign on the Junction with 3rd Road and Pattaya Klang, be careful because just around that corner the BiB often lie and wait to fine you !

I think I've got it now.  If a blue sign with left arrow or no signs, turn left on red but give way to other traffic, if white sign saying wait for green, then stop, but everyone will beep at you.

But what about multi lane roads (such as Bangkok's Sukhumvit Road, where you seem to be able to go straight on a red light if in the near side (left) lane?

It's luke a surrogate turn left on red, but the left turn may to 500 meters after the lights.

On 3/2/2019 at 5:21 PM, johng said:

I always understood it was ok to turn left on red if its clear to do so and no signs prohibiting it ?

Yes thats how I understood Thai law.

I have only once seen a sign forbiding a left turn and that was years ago near Bangkok at a major intersection.

john

24 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

I have only once seen a sign forbiding a left turn

There are a few around Pattaya...the English translation says "Turning Left wait Light"  often there is a policeman/s hiding around the corner to catch out the unwary motorist.

Archived