Best new 150cc bike for confidence / control/stability/handling ?

Hi guys, I currently have a Honda Click bought new 5 years ago. I'm considering buying a new bike again and need some advice/opinions preferably based on experience as I dont want to test drive umpteen bikes. In particular I want best low speed/med speed handling. Before I bought my Click many years ago I rented a new Wave which had far superior handling to to the Click. Yes I know is ancient and manual gearchange and looks crap so I dont want that. But I think the larger diameter wheels helped it handle. I felt like driving god ( relativley) at that time.

Anyway anything including PCX size considered, preferably still auto

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With your requirements (150cc, auto) there are not many bikes left:

Honda PCX

Honda Click 150

Yamaha Nmax

Yamaha Aerox

You said already, you didn't like the Click. The Aerox is quite small, so if you are bigger than the average Asian guy it might be too small for you.

Thus you are left with PCX and the Nmax ????

Here you find the pros / cons of them:

I own a Nmax and did some driving on a PCX. Nmax is by far my favourite. Comes with ABS. You might want a custom seat.

The only downside up to now (after 1 year) there is no way to attach a hook, so shopping is less convenient.

I started with the original Click 110 CC,  still have it with 78,000 Km and running strong all I did was get larger rims and put some larger tires on it.  In 2012 I was looking for a new bike to treat myself around town the last bike I thought I would ever buy was the PCX 150, I was still feeling and thinking young although old I too was looking at a 125 Wave Honda or 135 Yamaha after purchased I would modify the thing with some big rims and load it up with big tires plus put in a rear disc.

I even consider the 150 CC  CBR?  clutch but after months came to my senses and when in the showroom at Honda looked at the PCX, I said to myself if I could place put the bike on the stand as I could easily do on my click I would consider it.  It was really easy so I decided to go rent one for the day and see if I could navigate through the traffic as I do on the Click. The one big difference when I drove the PCX vs. Click reason I put the larger tires on it was it floats light in the front due to the drop down great for carrying stuff but at speeds of 60 KM/H the steering feels light with the PCX it doesn't with the Gas tank more in the middle and not having the drop-down front it feel really stable which I think you are looking for reason why people like the Wave.

I like the Aerox, starts at 63-66,000 baht big tires and 155 CC but I'm hooked on Honda but have no problems buying a used one for the right price. Today since 2012, I just like the dial 80,000 KM.  New PCX I think is 86,000 and the NMaX  98,000?  If you are in Pattaya and want a PCX new older model 2014, still have 3 left 66,000 baht dealer on the corner of 3rd Road and Pattaya Tai across from Tony's Gym

4 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

for what it is worth I put Michelin Pilot Street tires on my Click. Made a HUGE difference.

I'll second that.  Bought Michelins for my bike years ago and never looked back.  Huge difference between them and stock tires.  Highly recommend.

IMG20190302143919.thumb.jpg.02df0fe3bd407a7dacefa88a9c974078.jpg

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

With your requirements (150cc, auto) there are not many bikes left:

Honda PCX

Honda Click 150

Yamaha Nmax

Yamaha Aerox

You said already, you didn't like the Click. The Aerox is quite small, so if you are bigger than the average Asian guy it might be too small for you.

Thus you are left with PCX and the Nmax ????

Here you find the pros / cons of them:

Can you be clear about the average size Thai guy in cm ? , as I look around they don't look mini size  anymore …! Or maybe my 180 cm is modest this times  :biggrin:, as I am also interested in a Aerox ,

Thanks

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

Can you be clear about the average size Thai guy in cm ? , as I look around they don't look mini size  anymore …! Or maybe my 180 cm is modest this times  :biggrin:, as I am also interested in a Aerox 

According to Google the average male height in Thailand is 167.5cm, the scooter is probably made for people with about this size.

Just go to a Yamaha shop and sit on one, that's the best way to know if it fits you. In the end it does of course also depend on your leg / upper body ratio.

2 hours ago, cucme said:

I own a Nmax and did some driving on a PCX. Nmax is by far my favourite. Comes with ABS. You might want a custom seat.

The only downside up to now (after 1 year) there is no way to attach a hook, so shopping is less convenient.

Yes NMax. I have had one for nearly 3 years and use it daily in BKK traffic. Also I have a hook attached, no problem at all. 

The ABS works wonders and the boot is ok sized. 

Power is great. 

Use Michelin City Grip tyres after the stock tyres are worn out. 

Best value for money in my opinion. Btw, I’m 174cm. 

Retired to Thailand July 2011 and on the basis of having rented a Honda Airblade 110cc on previous trips, I bought one. Under seat storage was an attraction as it was my only vehicle. Served me well without issues until last year. Going up steep mountain street and my love had to get off and walk. Hmm, OK, I added a good 10 kilos since purchase. PCX 150 was 89,000 baht. So, I looked at the Aerox 155cc by Yamaha for 66,000 baht (minus 10K trade-in). So, baht matters to me and I love my 5-month-old Aerox (having the plugin for my phone was an added attraction).

I recently (September) bought a new Motorbike.

I was looking at a few different ones,  however, I chose the Honda Click 150i for a few different reasons.

The Clicks seem to be good, reluable Motorbikes.

As comparing to other types:

Click 150i is significantly cheaper than the NMax and PCX, and about 5-7K cheaper than the Aerox.

You can carry much more on Click than you can on all of those as well.

Power/Speed Honda Click 150i has the same engine as the PCX. It is also faster than the NMax and faster than the PCX (I know this because I have personally tested). A buddy rented an Aerox in January,  that Aerox actually kept up with my Click. (If you need to know...  Fastest that I have had my Honda Click 150i up to was 124...).

All in all...   if I had to do over , I would definitely buy the Click again.

I don't know sh.t about bikes lol  ... I ride a 250 GTS Vespa and I love it. Vespa's rock !!! Plenty of power (had it up to 140 kmh), smooth as silk all the way up and down. Stable and smooth ride due to the mono/solid frame. 

Thanks for replies guys, based on these a new PCX or N Max with a set of new Michelins from the go seems the best bet for me. Not too bothered about fuel consumpsion, but I know Fino is both crap on fuel AND handling ..and too small. Im 178cm btw. Im still open to any more opinions though. 

I had a PCX 125.  Nice bike.  Sold it and bought a PCX 150, which I gave to my son (he was 22 at the time.)  He loves it!  Offered to buy him a car, but he turned that down in favor of the PCX.  What does that tell you? 

4 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I had a PCX 125.  Nice bike.  Sold it and bought a PCX 150, which I gave to my son (he was 22 at the time.)  He loves it!  Offered to buy him a car, but he turned that down in favor of the PCX.  What does that tell you? 

Obviously, motorbikes are funner than cars.

Duh !

????

I'd go for Nmax...abs on then more space to move around vs Aerox....2 fottrest options.

Also i'd not god near aerox with no ABS and I think PCX STILL has no ABS.

It should be fitted as standard on anything over 108cc. Had non-ABS bikes slide out on me at the front multiple times...

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yamaha TriCity 155cc ABS

look it up... safest bike out there I reckon. Not as ‘flickable’ as smaller bikes but 2 front wheels make a big difference and offer a lot more confidence, especially in the wet, particularly under hard braking. 

Not this old argument again ...

If they are so superior - pray tell why we do not see more of them ?

Butt Fugly ? Man here has one, been for sale for a donkeys years, no takers.

My thought - a solution looking for a problem.

If 2 front wheels was so superior - why don't race bikes use them ?

Answer - because they are not. Cheap imitation of a Piaggo.

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Not this old argument again ...

If they are so superior - pray tell why we do not see more of them ?

Butt Fugly ? Man here has one, been for sale for a donkeys years, no takers.

My thought - a solution looking for a problem.

If 2 front wheels was so superior - why don't race bikes use them ?

Answer - because they are not. Cheap imitation of a Piaggo.

TriCity:

Not popular,

fugly,

not good for racing,

[increasing stability not a really an issue for racers;

conflating racer needs with street needs, oh my!]

cheap.

Yup, yup, yup, yup.

Trike stability far far superior 

of any papa has owned,

of maybe 30 bikes.

Yup.

I'll chime in... Rented a Click 125 for ten months.  Nice, agile, easy.  Not nice; wobbly at speed, crap suspension due to light weight.  Bought an Aerox year and a half ago when they first came out.  Yes the Imax has more driver space but it also has 13" instead of the Aerox's 14" wheels.  And that makes all the difference in handling and stability.  It drives more like a proper motorcycle instead of a scooter.

I was concerned with maneuverability.  The Areox is only 3 mm wider than a Click at the bars and I can snake to the front of the traffic light queue as easily as the Click could.  No issue there.

I put on Pirelli Rosso Corsa dual compound tires immediately.  The stock IRC are slippy hard and over rounded.  The Pirellis have a sharper profile that makes steering snappier and allows more lean angle for both safer and faster turns.l

Motor wise, the Aerox and Imax are way better than the dated two valve PCX.  Four valves with variable cam activation provide both more power and economy.  The functrion of the generator and the starter have been combined therefby saving weight.  Its just better engineering.

I feel qualified to opine here because that is me in my profile pic.

Archived