Boot time: your hardware and OS (Chrome, Linux, Win)

WonnabeBiker

Since my +6 year old i5 laptop running W7 is loaded with software, the initial boot on the original 250Gb HD became glacial. When I cloned up to a 500Gb SSHD, the difference was remarkable. The last clone-up was to a 1Tb SSD and it's as fast as the 'empty', o/s only 250 Gb HD was all those years ago, maybe 18-20 seconds boot up/down?

Next month I plan on doing the big punt up to W10. But I'll clone the current SSD first, just in case it all goes pear-shaped on me.

Win 10 Pro on a Lenovo i7 laptop (MBR drive format) and a Lenovo i5 laptop (GPT drive format) both with 8GB RAM and 500GB Samsung SSDs have a boot time of around 15 seconds and power-off time of around 10 seconds. 

41 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Get a software programme called Wise Care 365. It cleans up heaps of garbage and helps improve boot-up time. There is a free version and a Pro version.

Oh please.....another one who thinks he's found a one click solution to everything.

Just fit an SSD. Then no more problems with boot-up time.

1 minute ago, KneeDeep said:

Oh please.....another one who thinks he's found a one click solution to everything.

Just fit an SSD. Then no more problems with boot-up time.

Seems you are KneeDeep in the stuff of your own making. I have an SSD and the software I mentioned helps keep it clean.

I should have known better than try to be helpful. There are always "experts" out there who look for any opportunity to put the boot in. That's how they enjoy their day. Have a nice one.

8 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Seems you are KneeDeep in the stuff of your own making. I have an SSD and the software I mentioned helps keep it clean.

I should have known better than try to be helpful. There are always "experts" out there who look for any opportunity to put the boot in. That's how they enjoy their day. Have a nice one.

You were helpful, but he was right too about an SSD, it really makes all of the difference.

I have used programs like yours too, but don't really need it now that i got an m2 SSD in there.

Dell workstation 30 seconds.  I have Aomei one click restore.  So it boots to a screen asking me if I want Win or restore with Aoemei.  SSD & DDR3 32 Gig  GTX 1050TI and game a bit so I mess up stuff playing around. 

Acer PC with normal HD takes 45 seconds and my wife's ASUS VivoBook Flip TP301UA about a minute.  My wife has used it for about 2 hours in the past year.  Anyone know where I can sell the Vivobook? 

On 3/2/2019 at 10:37 AM, stud858 said:

Changing from mechanical HDD to a SSD brought time from 40 to 15 sec. 

With all things relative I think good enough and I'll look to saving time brushing my teeth.

Saves you 25 seconds a day.

5 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Get a software programme called Wise Care 365. It cleans up heaps of garbage and helps improve boot-up time. There is a free version and a Pro version.

Also C Cleaner, Glary Utilities and of course, the disk cleaner built into W10.

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Dell workstation 30 seconds.  I have Aomei one click restore.  So it boots to a screen asking me if I want Win or restore with Aoemei.  SSD & DDR3 32 Gig  GTX 1050TI and game a bit so I mess up stuff playing around. 

Acer PC with normal HD takes 45 seconds and my wife's ASUS VivoBook Flip TP301UA about a minute.  My wife has used it for about 2 hours in the past year.  Anyone know where I can sell the Vivobook? 

You are likely to struggle to sell it at an attractive price for yourself. It's a bit gimmicky and no one is likely to pay a premium for that.

So it will sell on hardware spec and condition alone. Apart from that, by the sound of the Boot time, it's a model with HDD and not SSD. That isn't good, as the preference is for SSD.

So, personally, I would then need to disassemble it in order to fit an SSD. More time and cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5veBttCuZQ

Have you tried putting it up in the Free Classifieds section? https://forum.thaivisa.com/forum/8-free-classifieds-for-salefor-rentwanted/

State the full spec and be prepared for some brutal offers...

6 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Also C Cleaner, Glary Utilities and of course, the disk cleaner built into W10.

The best way to improve Boot time if you don't have an SSD fitted is to simply disable programs from starting up with Windows in the first place. Installing another program that starts up with Windows is just idiocy.

But yet there is still this fallback to the XP era wherein people are still pushing Registry Cleaners and Optimizers...

CCleaner is useful for cleaning up Junk files and you can use it's interface to stop programs from starting up with Windows, therefore improving Boot times on slow, low spec devices.

But since this thread is about Boot times, you can do the job within Windows itself. No need to install another program that will start up with Windows, further slowing down Boot times.

When I come to my desk I press any key on the keyboard, sit down, enter the pin, and that's it. All in all probably less than 3 seconds.

But the point is my PC does not boot, it just wakes up from sleeping. That is very fast.

I really boot my PC maybe once a week or if an update requires it. Normally I just put it into sleep mode or it does that automatically when I didn't touch it for some time.

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

Installing another program that starts up with Windows is just idiocy.

I didn't say have CCleaner or other starting up with Windows. And of course, you can say which programs start up with Windows in Windows, don't need to start another programs to tell Windows which programs to start. Around and around!   LOL. 

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Why would that be of any interest, you are out of the room by then.

And why not just let it go to sleep.

I gave power off time since the OP gave his boot and power off time.

At night I completely power down my computers to block powerline spikes, blackouts...lightning, etc.,...stuff that is hard on electronics.  During the day while the computer is on I do let it go into and out of sleep.  Plus I just like to completely power down my computers overnight.  

Archived