London Embassy original docs Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay)

Information update if submitting original docs by post for O-A to London Thai Embassy. I sent an email and got a reply and I called direct to speak to a Visa officer and got the same reply (but they did confirm info about criminal certificate - email did not mention). Original docs can be sent in the post (without certification) however you need (just) the medical signed AND stamped by doctor (did not check if the doctors health center stamp would be accepted) 

Reply to email for clarification....

Dear Sir/Madam,

We require all ORIGINAL documents which are bank statement and medical record check with GP stamp.
Kind Regards,
Visa Officer

Is this your 1st O-A  and did you change from ‘O’?

What about the Criminal Record?

when you say original bank statements ( presumably proving your pension income)did you print them online yourself or did you request originals and covering letter from your bank

also how many months statements did you provide 

If you are doing the 800,000 baht equivalent how many months statements did you supply and were they online printouts or did you request originals and covering letter from your bank(s)?

im thinking of changing from ‘O’ to O-A

if you changed from ‘O’ did the Embassy cancel your ‘O’?

Thanks for your reply 

I haven't yet applied - its info I got from Embassy prior to applying.

I currently have an O - Extension based upon retirement - I am not sure this is relevant though. There is not a change as you identify - You simply apply for O-A and ensure that (if its an existing O visa not yet extended or with an extension) when you return to Thailand it is not used when entering the country i.e point out you want to use the new O-A Visa.

Doing the 800,000 baht equivalent requires 3 months statements.

The direction for bank statements was original statements - not print outs, but I did not check what was needed for print out from an online only account.

I am doing funds in account 800K (£20K) and no pension to show.

The Original Criminal record is needed.

If you are sending by post - The originals needed are for Criminal record, Bank statements and Health (this needs signature AND Doctors Stamp). If you are sending duplicates in the post (each duplicate needs a certification from a solicitor). If you are visiting the Embassy - take just your same originals as you would as if posting them.

7 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I would call them, last year I was there and they would not accept my orig docs. They wanted to me to give them certified copies even though the offical instruction was for origs.

I applied by post last August and original docs were accepted as is the stated requirement on their website. £20k was in my current account for just a week before the one latest monthly statement required was sent. I did make sure it was a proper paper monthly statement and not a copy of a paperless online statement which most UK bank accounts want u to have now. I did initially request one of these from my bank but it looked just the same as a photocopy and I thought that it would never be accepted by the single braincell embassy staff as an original nor would they understand that there is no such thing as an original bank statement these days if u have online paperless statements as most banks require u to do now. So I actually downgraded my bank account so that I could opt to receive postal paper statements to keep the embassy dinasaurs happy who, can u believe in 2019 , only accept payment by postal order or cash (probably for tax evasion purposes).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

I did make sure it was a proper paper monthly statement and not a copy of a paperless online statement which most UK bank accounts want u to have now.

Due to the timing of my trip to the UK I'd only be able to provide them with a monthly postal statement pertaining to the month before my application is made - my statement giving the previous month's balance arrives in the first week of the month but I'll need to apply for the visa near the end of that month, so at the time of application it'd be over three weeks out of date.

Do you think this will be acceptable if I post it in, or will they ask for something more current? I could staple it to an updated printout of my balance at the time I send it in, but maybe the previous month statement will be enough. 

18 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I would call them, last year I was there and they would not accept my orig docs. They wanted to me to give them certified copies even though the offical instruction was for origs.

Same happened to me last time - They sent back my originals and wanted a certified stamp on copies. I got email confirmation and I called directly last week. The policy seems to have gone through some changes. Mine was by post and it looks like from your response that you were actually there at embassy in person - That does seem strange that they would not accept originals.

Edited by spambot
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SunsetT said:

I applied by post last August and original docs were accepted as is the stated requirement on their website. £20k was in my current account for just a week before the one latest monthly statement required was sent. I did make sure it was a proper paper monthly statement and not a copy of a paperless online statement which most UK bank accounts want u to have now. I did initially request one of these from my bank but it looked just the same as a photocopy and I thought that it would never be accepted by the single braincell embassy staff as an original nor would they understand that there is no such thing as an original bank statement these days if u have online paperless statements as most banks require u to do now. So I actually downgraded my bank account so that I could opt to receive postal paper statements to keep the embassy dinasaurs happy who, can u believe in 2019 , only accept payment by postal order or cash (probably for tax evasion purposes).

Ha - Yup its frustrating isn't it trying get the Embassy to accommodate the normal.

And yes postal orders, blimey. I sent mine and they cashed this and then send me back an envelope full of bank notes, cash in the post together with my original documents.

I was surprised that you were accepted with a single bank statement - The Visa officer I spoke to on the phone told me they needed 3 months.

10 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Due to the timing of my trip to the UK I'd only be able to provide them with a monthly postal statement pertaining to the month before my application is made - my statement giving the previous month's balance arrives in the first week of the month but I'll need to apply for the visa near the end of that month, so at the time of application it'd be over three weeks out of date.

Do you think this will be acceptable if I post it in, or will they ask for something more current? I could staple it to an updated printout of my balance at the time I send it in, but maybe the previous month statement will be enough. 

I presume that you are going to apply with a single month statement?

I was told I needed 3 months - Interesting to see if one will be accepted.

14 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I would think it would be OK as it will be your latest statement. They will see it shows a whole month's transactions making it obvious that it is your latest statement. But you can never be sure of anything with Thai authorities! The print out cant do any harm as long as u still have a £20k balance throughout. Good luck with it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, spambot said:

Ha - Yup its frustrating isn't it trying get the Embassy to accommodate the normal.

And yes postal orders, blimey. I sent mine and they cashed this and then send me back an envelope full of bank notes, cash in the post together with my original documents.

I was surprised that you were accepted with a single bank statement - The Visa officer I spoke to on the phone told me they needed 3 months.

I would print this out and take or send with my application highlighting where it states a single statement is all that is required and that original copies are stated as acceptable. In fact they highlight the latter themselves in red:

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year per entries/Multiple entries/ 1 year validity 

• Passport (validity over 1 year) and at least 2 blank pages. The actual passport must be submitted with visa application form.
  • Two (2) sets of application forms and 2 recent photos.
  • An additional application form for O-A
  • Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate with monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, (approximately £20,000.00 / annum) or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.
  • Certificate of criminal record clearance from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from here.
  • Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)
  • If you wish to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But your spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)
  • Applicant must be of age 50 years old or over.

Note: 

- Please submit the originals of bank statement, criminal record check, and medical record, as well as one photocopy of each document. In case that an applicant could not submit the original documents, the Embassy will accept the photocopies which have been certified by a Notary Public officer or Solicitors.

- The consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary. 

They do ask for originals and copies. Did you send both?

Edited by SunsetT

6 hours ago, spambot said:

was surprised that you were accepted with a single bank statement - The Visa officer I spoke to on the phone told me they needed 3 months.

This is the requirement for the O visa but not the O-A visa. If it happens again perhaps you could discreetly point this out to them. Also send a print out of the online O visa requirements which immediately precedes the O-A visa requirements above.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SunsetT said:

I would print this out and take or send with my application highlighting where it states a single statement is all that is required and that original copies are stated as acceptable. In fact they highlight the latter themselves in red:

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year per entries/Multiple entries/ 1 year validity 

• Passport (validity over 1 year) and at least 2 blank pages. The actual passport must be submitted with visa application form.
  • Two (2) sets of application forms and 2 recent photos.
  • An additional application form for O-A
  • Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate with monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, (approximately £20,000.00 / annum) or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.
  • Certificate of criminal record clearance from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from here.
  • Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)
  • If you wish to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But your spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)
  • Applicant must be of age 50 years old or over.

Note: 

- Please submit the originals of bank statement, criminal record check, and medical record, as well as one photocopy of each document. In case that an applicant could not submit the original documents, the Embassy will accept the photocopies which have been certified by a Notary Public officer or Solicitors.

- The consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary. 

They do ask for originals and copies. Did you send both?

I have taken this from the Thai Embassy website today.

It asks you have 6 months valid passport not 12 and says the criminal record needs to be notarised. The criminal record does not even appear in the one above?

Visa.png

I also understand for an original O-A application there is no seasoning requirement, therefore the money can be put in the bank just prior to the application.

The whole process, which looks pretty simple, is confusing if different people are being asked to supply different documentation.

On 3/4/2019 at 4:02 PM, SunsetT said:

This is the requirement for the O visa but not the O-A visa. If it happens again perhaps you could discreetly point this out to them. Also send a print out of the online O visa requirements which immediately precedes the O-A visa requirements above.

Mnnnn SunsetT- Interesting  and yes you are correct.

I just got information again from the Embassy a few minutes ago from a fresh inquiry asking to clarify the three statements vs one for OA - This is what I got back.

Dear Sir/Madam,
1. 3 months back original bank statement remain 20000 GBP in your account 

2. If you supply the bank statement you do not need to supply more

Please check from requirement below

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jim P said:

I have taken this from the Thai Embassy website today.

It asks you have 6 months valid passport not 12 and says the criminal record needs to be notarised. The criminal record does not even appear in the one above?

Visa.png

Mine is from the London Embassy as I am British and the criminal record check is there.

1 hour ago, spambot said:

Mnnnn SunsetT- Interesting  and yes you are correct.

I just got information again from the Embassy a few minutes ago from a fresh inquiry asking to clarify the three statements vs one for OA - This is what I got back.

Dear Sir/Madam,
1. 3 months back original bank statement remain 20000 GBP in your account 

2. If you supply the bank statement you do not need to supply more

Please check from requirement below

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

So did u itemise your enquiry so in their reply 1. refers to O and 2. refers to O-A? If not their reply is typically Thai, i.e., as clear as mud.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Mine is from the London Embassy as I am British and the criminal record check is there.

Mine was from the London Embassy too, sorry what I meant is that one shows the criminal record needs to be notarised and the other doesn`t..

Edited by Jim P

6 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Bustards! And it is still ambiguous because they cant even be bothered to put an 's' on statement!

It still says that original documents do not need notarising.

W -T -F is an 'income certificate' that they ask for?

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jim P said:

Iv`e just asked that on another forum, I assume its another term for a bank statement.

They're already asking for bank statements so they have grasped that concept....lol, so perhaps they mean 'pay slips' or whatever people get with their monthly salary these days.

2 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

They're already asking for bank statements so they have grasped that concept....lol, so perhaps they mean 'pay slips' or whatever people get with their monthly salary these days.

Maybe a pension or other source, such as investment statement. Probably best to just have the money in a current account, that does`t seem to attract any ambiguity. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Bustards! And it is still ambiguous because they cant even be bothered to put an 's' on statement!

It still says that original documents do not need notarising.

W -T -F is an 'income certificate' that they ask for?

Original documents do not need notarising. They haven't for a while. They have updated the document requirements to make it clear. Only copy's of documents need notarising.

Note: 

- Please submit the originals of bank statement, criminal record check, and medical record, as well as one photocopy of each document. In case that an applicant could not submit the original documents, the Embassy will accept the photocopies which have been certified by a Notary Public officer or Solicitors.

On 3/5/2019 at 6:28 PM, SunsetT said:

So did u itemise your enquiry so in their reply 1. refers to O and 2. refers to O-A? If not their reply is typically Thai, i.e., as clear as mud.

I asked purposely just a single question

"How many original statements were required for the O-A application?"

When the email response cam back as (shown in post) - I copy pasted the web site detail that shows they were requesting a single statement and I emailed this back. And on this second email I now asked the single question:

"Thank you for your response - You have specified 3 months of statements for O-A application, but the link you have provided me with shows only a single statement is required, can you clarify?"

This last email was not responded to!

Edited by spambot
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spambot said:

I asked purposely just a single question

"How many original statements were required for the O-A application?"

When the email response cam back as (shown in post) - I copy pasted the web site detail that shows they were requesting a single statement and I emailed this back. And on this second email I now asked the single question:

"Thank you for your response - You have specified 3 months of statements for O-A application, but the link you have provided me with shows only a single statement is required, can you clarify?"

This last email was not responded to!

Thanks for clarifying that but its all academic now as lovethailandelite has pointed out above.