3 pin plug

Maybole

I have to use an extension lead or adaptor for my kettle which has a UK plug on it. I am unhappy with this and would like ti increase safety by replacing it with a thai 3 pin plug. I have searched HomePro, Home Mall and Global House without result. Has any member any recomendation as to where to try next in Chiangmai, preferably on the south side: Hang Dong, or San Pa Tong ?

Haco do a decent 3-pin plug that lets the cable hang vertically like a UK plug does.

Looks like this (awful photo), it's designated "P002". You should be able to get them in HomePro, even Tesco have been known to stock. If desperation sets in Lazada is your friend. 

P002.JPG

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Haco do a decent 3-pin plug that lets the cable hang vertically like a UK plug does.

Looks like this (awful photo), it's designated "P002". You should be able to get them in HomePro, even Tesco have been known to stock. If desperation sets in Lazada is your friend. 

P002.JPG

Good plug for a nice look and the cable can hang.

Personally for a high current device I would go for somewhat stronger, but these are mostly horizontal aimed.

Also, not all sockets have the earth pin on the left side, so you would end up with the cord going upwards.

If the kettle has a detachable cord, try to find a replacement cord that fits with the kettle.

If the kettle goes with a base which has a fixed wire then an option to consider is to find a complete 2 or 3 wired * cable (like those for the computer) and cut the other (female) end, then fix that end into the kettle base which is not very hard if you can fix plugs too.

Another option is, like I have here in the kitchen, is mounting an UK socket on the wall. I got mine from Malaysia, for a toaster.

*not all kettles use 3 wires, many just use two. Metal kettles (supposedly) use three.

Rgds,

10 minutes ago, donim said:

Good plug for a nice look and the cable can hang.

Personally for a high current device I would go for somewhat stronger, but these are mostly horizontal aimed.

These plugs are rated for the full 16A (3.5kW) that a Thai outlet can supply, they do get warm but I've had no issues whatever with microwaves, kettles and the like over the last 10 years or so using them.

Appearances can be deceptive.

If you have devices that draw large power over long periods, I would ditch the Thai outlet altogether and go with a Schuko (Euro plug) or commando style.

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

These plugs are rated for the full 16A (3.5kW) that a Thai outlet can supply, they do get warm but I've had no issues whatever with microwaves, kettles and the like over the last 10 years or so using them.

If they are rated 16A and I know Haco is good, then this plug is perfect for a kettle. And getting warm is not a big issue indeed, the kettle is not running continuously.

Only one thing, and I had this before with one plug, Thai builders are not always following the standards and just fix the sockets on/in the wall.. and if you then happen to have the earth hole on the left right side, you will end up with the cord hanging from the top.

Appearances can be deceptive.

If you have devices that draw large power over long periods, I would ditch the Thai outlet altogether and go with a Schuko (Euro plug) or commando style.

Same here, mostly Shuko plugs here and a few sockets for where I want the earth connected.

One CEE plug (blue) for the power rack.

Rgds,

6 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

I have replaced several plugs with these from AliExpress:

THB 47.27 | DIY Rewire 3 Pins US Plug 10Amp 250V Male Socket Electrical Wire Connect AC Power Adapter Detachable
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cBUGSFDISmartSelect_20190302-194139_AliExpress.jpeg

The building code is that the earth prong is on the bottom, so that plug would also have the cord going up.  *

But, this is Thailand, and Thailand is not Thailand we know if they follow the code at all.

The best is that the OP ( @Maybole ) shows us the situation at his residence and specially that one location where he want use the kettle.

* I have checked this at the MEA and PEA, and for the readers there is good information here : https://www.thailandguru.com/electricity-220volts-thailand.html

Rgds,

1 hour ago, donim said:

(like those for the computer)

Most imported computer cord is very undersized for this use - very small wires are used to sell cheap.  Computers don't draw much power so they normally get away with it.

I’d replace the wall socket with a universal plug...

If you do replace the plug odds are there is no ground wiring is your building/outlets so a simple two prong plug will also work...

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/universal-wall-socket-dual-usb-outlets-panel-ukuseuau-plug-for-hotel-home-i248893476-s383567340.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.34.7aee5394xUxTKc&search=1

56 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Most imported computer cord is very undersized for this use - very small wires are used to sell cheap.  Computers don't draw much power so they normally get away with it.

True, I have seen cables for 20 bath, and the wire diameter was not more than 0.5mm.
And I have bought pc power cables for 60bath too, and the wires inside was 1mm, which is good for 16amp.

You will know when you cut it.  And many cables have the wire diameter/gauge printed. 16 gauge or lower is fine.

Most power extension sockets sold in thailand do have wires not bigger than 1mm and yet still they are used for powering all the stoves and kettles, and they get warm.

Technical : For the computer cable, example 16 gauge (1.3) , one meter cable will give a voltage drop of 0.5 volt at 16amp. That is then lost in energy, 8 watt. Not a big loss at 3520 watt.

Rgds,

10 hours ago, sfokevin said:

This is for a UK import kettle, likely 3kW or so. Even with the reduced supply voltage here (220V vs 230V in the UK) it's still going to be pulling a hefty current. The contact area on the "universal" outlets is tiny, so at high powers the outlet itself gets rather warm.

For general use, low power appliances, wall-warts and the like the unversals are handy, but not for beefy stuff.

I'm going to drop this down to the Electrical forum, it's not just CM related.

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep them c0ming.

To clarify some points, The house is a new build and a proper earth system is in place. I watched it being done.

I have bought several kettles for thai relatives, none of them have lasted more than 3 years. My kettle is a german make and has lasted 5 years already, Over the last 30 years I have bought only 4 european made kettles and they have proved much more durable than thai ones.

She who must be obeyed insists on keeping this one because of its durability.

19 minutes ago, Maybole said:

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep them c0ming.

To clarify some points, The house is a new build and a proper earth system is in place. I watched it being done.

I have bought several kettles for thai relatives, none of them have lasted more than 3 years. My kettle is a german make and has lasted 5 years already, Over the last 30 years I have bought only 4 european made kettles and they have proved much more durable than thai ones.

She who must be obeyed insists on keeping this one because of its durability.

Can you give us some information regarding the kettle and the sockets (especially their position) ?

Kettle; wattage and if it has a base, plug in the base or plug in the pot.

Sockets; horizontal, vertical, earth prong on the left/right/upper/bottom.

Good that you watched it being done, many, and surely years ago, and in my home too, they just use two wires and 3 prong socket just for the convenience of using plugs with the earth pin without the need of breaking these off.

I put earth where I can, outside, kitchen and in my working space.

rgds,

On 3/2/2019 at 8:35 PM, sfokevin said:

If you do replace the plug odds are there is no ground wiring is your building/outlets so a simple two prong plug will also work...

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/universal-wall-socket-dual-usb-outlets-panel-ukuseuau-plug-for-hotel-home-i248893476-s383567340.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.34.7aee5394xUxTKc&search=1

If you want use a universal plug, for heavy amp perhipials, use a dedicated universal plug and not those travelplugs. A all-in-one solution. As someone else in this thread already mentioned these have small contacts inside and easy get hot, and are a possible cause for catching fire.

The dedicated universals plug are just only these what you need to convert. You can find them at Central.

The travel kit of these plugs are mostly 5 of those 'convertplugs', covering the biggest part of the world.

Although, I am not sure if you can find a UK to thai plug, the one you need.

Back then when I was living in europe I also had some UK applicances, some of them don't have a cord but instead goes in the socket like the AA battery charger. For this I had an UK extension block, and changed the UK plug for a shuko(euro) plug.

I collected some graphics;

the first is the all-in-one universal plugs and the other pictures the dedicated universal plugs.

1991726030_1.Universalplug.jpg.df76fcf6929411faa869b45770711541.jpg98795725_2.Dedicateduniplugs.jpg.e20f506e96f2844dced70ee35229a93e.jpg

1015576551_4.uktoshuko.jpg.8cf6fd6887cbfccd25e3596bd9ec3b74.jpg1351047967_3.uktoshuko.jpg.0ac40af37c8dc29e75af7a4b803e882b.jpg

Rgds,

To everyone suggesting universal sockets / adaptors.

Please don't lose sight of the fact that our OP is talking about a UK kettle, possibly about 3kW @ 230V. Taking account of the slightly reduced voltage here (220V) that kettle will be pulling about 12.5 A.

I don't have many adaptors but the three I've looked at (which had printed ratings) are all rated at 10A. A 25% overload on something which is basically cheap and cheerful...

I'm not even going to comment on the unmarked ones :whistling:

The Haco universal outlets which I have are marked as 16A and do seem to have a decent contact area to a UK plug, so I'd probably use them with short term loads like a kettle. 

That said, fitting a decent local plug is really the correct solution.

I don't have many adaptors but the three I've looked at (which had printed ratings) are all rated at 10A. A 25% overload on something which is basically cheap and cheerful...

The one I mentioned in post #17 is actually marked 16A. But, yes, relatively cheap, so maybe not. However, it does seem to be decent quality.

3 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

But, yes, relatively cheap, so maybe not. However, it does seem to be decent quality.

Toshino stuff is generally well regarded so it could be pretty good.

Come on, folks, you're making this W-A-Y too complicated.  It's a kitchen kettle for goodness sakes.  Hubby found this perfectly delightful kettle at Central Dept Store Kad Suan Kaew a couple years ago and it has served us well every morning.  It's the Tefal brand.  We have a Tefal iron that we've used several times a week for nearly ten years, so I think this cute little kettle will keep going, too.  Why go to all this trouble to try to make a UK kettle work here when you can buy such a cute one here for a few hundred baht?

Hello Kitty.png

11 hours ago, NancyL said:

Why go to all this trouble to try to make a UK kettle work here when you can buy such a cute one here for a few hundred baht?

It's hardly trouble ????

Why a UK kettle, because it's 3kW and will boil 50% faster than the piddling 1500-1800W ones we get here. Us Brits need our tea fix pronto, no waiting allowed :whistling:

Anyway, in this case it's our OP's wife who wants to keep the kettle. What Wifey wants, Wifey gets.

58 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

British kettle 10 second boil

????

Tea ala Andy !

Knowing him, it's beer that is needed a pronto.

I Miss his humor.. he is off YT.

Archived