Best option for condo flooring, tile or laminate?

banagan

For replacing a floor in an old condo, what would be the best option?

I like the look of laminate better to tiles, but it's not termite proof, right?

For tiles, something plain like an off white looks decent.
jJSTzy

What about wood effect tiles, are they a no no? These don't look so bad,
 Cw9Ksm

I guess tiles for longevety, unless there's a termite proof laminate option?

Tiles will be nearly indestructible as long as you dont drop metal things onto them and chip them. Laminate will have a fairly short life by comparison, especially if you like to move furniture around, or if it gets damp.

Wood effect tiles can be a very good compromise though quite expensive. I would probably use them if I was re-tiling my condo.

Always buy a few tiles more than you need as they can be very handy if one gets chipped or cracked in the future.

12 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Tiles will be nearly indestructible as long as you dont drop metal things onto them and chip them. Laminate will have a fairly short life by comparison, especially if you like to move furniture around, or if it gets damp.

Wood effect tiles can be a very good compromise though quite expensive. I would probably use them if I was re-tiling my condo.

Always buy a few tiles more than you need as they can be very handy if one gets chipped or cracked in the future.

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, steven100 said:

We installed the wood look tiles although darker than yours, and they still look great years later.

You'll be replacing Laminate in years to come.

Thanks. I've found 8cm thick laminate at 300 baht per sqm, what about decent wood look tiles, how much per sqm? Any photos? ????

• 3 weeks later...

Laminate is popular in the west now because the installation costs are so much cheaper than tile and the modern materials used are actually quite good.

In Thailand because labor is so cheap you should buy porcelain tiles if durability is a factor you're looking for.

laminate-flooring.jpg

there are some thicker laminates that can survive a sand an reseal or two, but they will be harder to come by and will probably be out of your budget range of 300-600 baht m2.

If you do choose a laminate, there are a few things you can check.

• Choose an underlay you like the feel of. some underlays have good sound deadening but are 'squishy' under foot as the laminate board defects. You might like or dislike that.
  • Make sure the laminate is installed properly. In tropics like this the laminate boards do expand. If you are 20 boards wide in a room and they all expand 2mm, you need to make sure you have the clearance for them to grow. If not, they will start to cup. This means you need to allow for a skirting system to hide the expansion gaps for where the laminate floor meets the walls. Make sure that is included in any quote. I've seen the cupping issue more than I would have expected to in both new and renovated homes and condos over here.

37 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

there are some thicker laminates that can survive a sand an reseal or two, but they will be harder to come by and will probably be out of your budget range of 300-600 baht m2.

If you do choose a laminate, there are a few things you can check.

• Choose an underlay you like the feel of. some underlays have good sound deadening but are 'squishy' under foot as the laminate board defects. You might like or dislike that.
  • Make sure the laminate is installed properly. In tropics like this the laminate boards do expand. If you are 20 boards wide in a room and they all expand 2mm, you need to make sure you have the clearance for them to grow. If not, they will start to cup. This means you need to allow for a skirting system to hide the expansion gaps for where the laminate floor meets the walls. Make sure that is included in any quote. I've seen the cupping issue more than I would have expected to in both new and renovated homes and condos over here.

You cannot sand and refinish laminate - real wood floor yes.

3 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

You cannot sand and refinish laminate - real wood floor yes.

Actually you can on some laminates. Thinner composite and vinyl laminates can't. True veneer laminates with a decent veneer surface can. It depends on the materials they are made from and their thickness. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 2:04 PM, observer90210 said:

Choose the best quality imported ceramic tiles. Much more resistant. Bonthavon has a fine choice. The feeling of the foot on real tiles and laminate is not the same .. ... IMHO of course !

Cheers, how much per sqm for decent tiles?

On 4/3/2019 at 9:04 AM, observer90210 said:

Choose the best quality imported ceramic tiles. Much more resistant. Bonthavon has a fine choice. The feeling of the foot on real tiles and laminate is not the same .. ... IMHO of course !

you will find everything here with pics and prices and dates when they have their tiles sales

https://www.boonthavorn.com/

• 2 months later...

Laminate is inexpensive easy to install and resistant but cannot be sanded like wood alternatives e.g. wood veneer or the pricier engineered woods. Tiles will last longer but can crack.  asiawoodfactory.com offers a range of laminate and veneer woods as well as hardwood options.

On 6/24/2019 at 6:07 PM, HenryAWF said:

Laminate is inexpensive easy to install and resistant but cannot be sanded like wood alternatives e.g. wood veneer or the pricier engineered woods. Tiles will last longer but can crack.  asiawoodfactory.com offers a range of laminate and veneer woods as well as hardwood options.

Thanks. I'll check that site out. Haven't started yet, but was pretty sure on tiles. Heard even laminate can be eaten by termites.... 

Laminate floors You beat me to it regarding dogs. The clip clop from their nails drives me insane. I got mine laid from a team that had just finished a hotel contact. Absolutely perfect job. Maybe 10 years old now still looks great. I bought a German brand. Big difference in price so shop around.

Vinyl rolls is ideal. That way you can lift it up and clean the mold that will grow underneath.

Another good option is epoxy right on to the subfloor, no moisture can penetrate.

With tiles or laminate you need to seal the sub floor and still use 1" bubble underpayment if you want to avoid mold. Even then Thai builds can let so much water into the subfloors because of poor building practices.

DMX1-2.jpg?1553858609

Archived