US Tourist visa ? We will see

I have enjoyed lurking in the background for a couple of months.  This forum has been a very informative place.

I appreciate the many scenarios addressed here. 

Well,  I have no idea what to expect but I have a Royal Caribbean cruise in December all paid for and I am hoping to bring a very nice woman from Beung kan with me.  

She has no B2 Visa yet.... I am going to help her the best I can.  I will be living in Thailand when the application process starts.  I will be looking for a Retirement Visa myself.

She is in her 40's, owns the home, car, motorcycle and is a hard working employee at a hospital.   She has made one trip to Europe on her own.

I sure hope the embassy realizes it is just a vacation and nothing more.   I have no intentions of this vacation lasting more than 12  - 14 days.   

I hope for success.... but geez,  so many stories of failure out there.    

I have written the embassy for guidance and to see if that helps in anyway.   i was used to the bureaucracy with the US Govt job I retired from.  I know it can be frustrating.

We shall see........

Would like to be positive on this but she has to show why she will not stay in America and if she mentions you it will be a no go. Your intentions, writing to the embassy and opinion about her work ethics have zero bearing on her application. Her application will be judged and approved or not by her interviewing officer and you will not be present. You never purchase a ticket for her until the B1 is approved. Hope for her the best of luck.

5 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Would like to be positive on this but she has to show why she will not stay in America and if she mentions you it will be a no go. Your intentions, writing to the embassy and opinion about her work ethics have zero bearing on her application. Her application will be judged and approved or not by her interviewing officer and you will not be present. You never purchase a ticket for her until the B1 is approved. Hope for her the best of luck.

"if she mentions you it will be a no go" is complete BS that keeps getting repeated as an urban myth. When my girlfriend applied she listed that she was going to visit me. My name was also listed as helping her fill out the form because she insisted on filling out the application in English. Her interview lasted 3 minutes and she was only asked 4 questions, including who she was going to visit, how long and where she planned to go. She received a 10 year visa.

Brent, if she has been employed at the hospital for years, earns a decent salary and states the specific cruise she plans to take with you, then I'd be surprised if she's turned down. Have her take a letter from her employer stating her salary, length of employment, and the number of vacation days she is entitled to in case they want to see that info. They never asked to see any documentation from my girlfriend but she had a folder with car and house records along with the employment letter.

I think the letter from the employer is a biggie.

The mentioning of the American guy myth, is sorta real. What the CO is fearful of is that she's goes to the US, gets married there and applies for an adjustment of status. Tourist visas for Thai's to the US are highly subjective

My wife, who had lived and studied in the US, got denied a tourist visa before she got a green card, when all we wanted to do was visit my daughter who had had a baby!

All a bit of a crap shoot actually, but she's got all the right stuff, house, job etc, so Good Luck

Sorry, 99.5% she will not get it.

All the recommendations for letters, statement, airline tickets are a waste of time they do not ask for any of that on the application.

Also, everything is pre screened so bringing in a bunch of documents/papers with you is a waste.

She will be rejected before her interview even starts.

Not trying to be mean I am just familiar with the current processes for these visas and the results are overwhelmingly negative.

Have her do the application form on line but never ever mention you. We applied last year and have been married 2 years and my wife was approved and yes they didn't ask for any of our letters or other documents. Before we were married 2 years ago we applied she was disapproved, because we were not married. There was a older Thai lady and her daughter appling for a tourist visa at the sametime as my wife. The consulate official asked the lady why she wanted to come to the US her reply was I have been every where else Europe, Australia, Canada but never the US and my daughter will help me get around. They were both approved. 

The visa is based on the info you input into the form 160 which you do on line it isn't that hard to do just answer every question truthfully

I have a friend who is a Yank and he has taken his gf to NYC a couple of times, no problem, don't think he is married to her either.

Apparently, if you are not American you have virtually zero chance of getting your Thai partner a US Visa for a holiday?

8 hours ago, Essex Reject said:

I have a friend who is a Yank and he has taken his gf to NYC a couple of times, no problem, don't think he is married to her either.

Apparently, if you are not American you have virtually zero chance of getting your Thai partner a US Visa for a holiday?

Thats not true.

Plenty of Thai's go to the United States alone.

It's just the criteria of stable employment, money and convincing the CO that they plan to return to Thailand.

Remember 25% of the Thai diaspora live in the US. That figure actually shocked me when I discovered it

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Thats not true.

Plenty of Thai's go to the United States alone.

It's just the criteria of stable employment, money and convincing the CO that they plan to return to Thailand.

Remember 25% of the Thai diaspora live in the US. That figure actually shocked me when I discovered it

Fair dues, but I did read that.

So, I'm British, you think if I wanted to take the wife to NYC one day she would stand a chance?

6 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

So, I'm British, you think if I wanted to take the wife to NYC one day she would stand a chance?

There are so many variables it's hard to say.

The fact that of being with a US citizen isn't really the problem. 

It's really down to whether or not the CO thinks she will return to Thailand after the vacation.

If I had to speculate, probably being with a non US male citizen might actually make it easier, since the CO may well conclude that there is little chance of marrying in the US

You have to be realistic here. The consular guys ain't stupid, they have had a million ex or current bar girls apply for visas. 

I'm pretty sure that's probably their #1 concern

Owning a home here, having a stable job to come back to and having traveled to other first world countries are all pluses in her favor. Definitely get letter from employer. As others have said, the key issue is whether they believe she is just going on holiday and will return to Thailand.

On 3/5/2019 at 8:00 AM, bkk6060 said:

Sorry, 99.5% she will not get it.

All the recommendations for letters, statement, airline tickets are a waste of time they do not ask for any of that on the application.

Also, everything is pre screened so bringing in a bunch of documents/papers with you is a waste.

She will be rejected before her interview even starts.

Not trying to be mean I am just familiar with the current processes for these visas and the results are overwhelmingly negative.

In 2017, almost 80% of Thais who applied for a tourist visa were approved. Official state dept figures: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY 17.pdf

2 minutes ago, JerseytoBKK said:

In 2017, almost 80% of Thais who applied for a tourist visa were approved. Official state dept figures: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY 17.pdf

I wish it was so simple.

Now it's all a moot point for us now as my wife is now green card holder, and indeed works for the Feds in DoD.

But it's so weird.

Before we were formally married, she was between jobs, that was when I wanted to go see my daughter and my new Granddaughter, and of course she was was denied a visa

17 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I wish it was so simple.

Now it's all a moot point for us now as my wife is now green card holder, and indeed works for the Feds in DoD.

But it's so weird.

Before we were formally married, she was between jobs, that was when I wanted to go see my daughter and my new Granddaughter, and of course she was was denied a visa

No job and potential family in the US were probably viewed as a big red flag. How long did she say you planned to stay during the visit? 2 weeks or 2 months? From what I read, getting the green card is a long process but better chance of success. 

Before my girlfriend applied, I remember reading all the horror stories on TV. So I warned her not to get her hopes up. She asked 2 friends at work who had gotten visas and they laughed and said it was easy. Then I found forums that specifically talked about visas to the US and the state dept info. While ThaiVisa is great for info on Thailand, there's way too many false assumptions and highly inaccurate info regarding visas to the US. 

Good resources for US visas: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/ and https://www.immihelp.com/

1 minute ago, JerseytoBKK said:

No job and family in the US were probably viewed as a big red flag. How long did she say you planned to stay during the visit? 2 weeks or 2 months? From what I read, getting the green card is a long process but better chance of success. 

Before my girlfriend applied, I remember reading all the horror stories on TV. So I warned her not to get her hopes up. She asked 2 friends at work who had gotten visas and they laughed and said it was easy. Then I found forums that specifically talked about visas to the US and the state dept info. While ThaiVisa is great for info on Thailand, there's way too many false assumptions and highly inaccurate info regarding visas to the US. 

Good resources for US visas: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/ and https://www.immihelp.com/

You are right, one of the big things I think may have been that our son, who is a US citizen was resident in the United States at the time.

The green card thing is actually pretty easy. It may well be bureaucratic, but unlike the tourist visa stuff, it's it's objective rather than subjective

It took us 100 days from filing to approval

13 hours ago, Essex Reject said:

I am British and my wife (both 30) got a 10 year multi entry tourist visa in 2017. Easily possible if you provide enough evidence. 

17 hours ago, BobbyL said:

I am British and my wife (both 30) got a 10 year multi entry tourist visa in 2017. Easily possible if you provide enough evidence. 

It's very much I think that the CO needs to be convinced that you will return to Thailand.

The fact that you weren't a US citizen probably helped her case.

I actually understand how difficult it must be for them.

I was angry as Hell at the time when they denied my wife a visa when I went to see my new born granddaughter.

But with hindsight, I sorta understand it.

She had no job at the time, our son was living in the US, I'm American, I can can see all the red flags the CO must have seen

On 3/6/2019 at 10:25 AM, Essex Reject said:

I am german. My gf is studying and got a 10 year visa to the US, B1/B2 visa...

many of her friends too have one, i don't know a single one of them that got declined, some had to try more than once as paperwork wasn't good enough tho.

So no, doesn't seem so ???? That was 6 months ago.

4 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

That's B visas only tho. 

Brits, europeans in general normally do an esta visa (online..) for the US and get instantly approved. 

Thing is ESTA isn't a visa per se, it's just a pre clearance for nationals from 'visa exempt' countries. 

The whole Thai getting a US visa thingy is a whole different ball of wax

I wish you luck.  Please update us on interview date and success or failure.  

I just heard of a California dentist trying to be the support for his gf and her sister to get a tourist visa to visit USA.    It will give me hope if being listed as the one who she will visit and helped her fill out the ds160 works. 

What questions does the ds160 form ask about the  USA contact it person who helped fill out the form?  

I have never heard of any documents being looked at at interview.   I read where by law the IO's sole job is to determine the risk of this person staying in USA illegally.   Based on this I wonder  if physical beauty can have a negative effect?  

I have enjoyed lurking in the background for a couple of months.  This forum has been a very informative place.
I appreciate the many scenarios addressed here. 

Well,  I have no idea what to expect but I have a Royal Caribbean cruise in December all paid for and I am hoping to bring a very nice woman from Beung kan with me.  

She has no B2 Visa yet.... I am going to help her the best I can.  I will be living in Thailand when the application process starts.  I will be looking for a Retirement Visa myself.

She is in her 40's, owns the home, car, motorcycle and is a hard working employee at a hospital.   She has made one trip to Europe on her own.

I sure hope the embassy realizes it is just a vacation and nothing more.   I have no intentions of this vacation lasting more than 12  - 14 days.   

I hope for success.... but geez,  so many stories of failure out there.    

I have written the embassy for guidance and to see if that helps in anyway.   i was used to the bureaucracy with the US Govt job I retired from.  I know it can be frustrating.

We shall see........

The most important thing you must understand is the woman (unless fiancée or spouse) must qualify for a visa under her own standards of qualification alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

The most important thing you must understand is the woman (unless fiancée or spouse) must qualify for a visa under her own standards of qualification alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are quite right, it's nothing about you, the applicant is who has to convince the CO

It's been a few years back now since we attempted the tourist visa thing, again moot point now since she's a permanent resident.

But as I recall, the CO asked my wife where she would be staying.

She truthfully answered that we would be staying in our US residence with our son, who was living in our house at the time.

That just seemed to chime a whole bunch of alarm bells for him, and within a couple of minutes said he didn't think he could grant her visa.

With hindsight maybe just giving a hotel address might have been better!

A professor “Pim” who already had a 10 year US tourist visa married an American and went over there. They split up up pretty quicky because of his infidelity and she married another guy over there. Pim wrote some intro letter for “Noi” for a tourist visa and they asked me to write one too! So Noi gets to the consulate and they told her basically your devious girlfriend ran off from her husband and you expect us to believe you? They showed her the door took her two more tries to to get the visa better she had applied on her own merits alone she would have been better off imho.

True that, pre-911 you could get away with it with a change of status, but that is not what she did. I'm just giving another example of an educated woman with a job who already had a 10 year US visa based on her own accomplishments. 

On 3/8/2019 at 6:19 AM, Elkski said:

I wish you luck.  Please update us on interview date and success or failure.  

I just heard of a California dentist trying to be the support for his gf and her sister to get a tourist visa to visit USA.    It will give me hope if being listed as the one who she will visit and helped her fill out the ds160 works. 

What questions does the ds160 form ask about the  USA contact it person who helped fill out the form?  

I have never heard of any documents being looked at at interview.   I read where by law the IO's sole job is to determine the risk of this person staying in USA illegally.   Based on this I wonder  if physical beauty can have a negative effect?  

There is a section on the form that asked if anyone helped to fill out the form. My girlfriend listed my name, address and I had her include my passport number in case they wanted to see all the trips I had done to Thailand over the previous 4 years.

IMHO, I think the most important thing is a steady long term job (preferably paying decent salary). Previous international travel should help also.

Hopefully she is truthfully applying for a short "normal" vacation type trip of 2-3 weeks. Putting down 3 months might be a red flag if she is going to visit someone in the US. Lying about a short 2 week trip and staying 3 months might get her 10 year visa cancelled after the trip and/or denied entry on her next trip. Reports of such actions are on the US visa forum websites I previously listed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived