US Tourist visa ? We will see

5 minutes ago, brent c said:

I will give an update to our results after she has her interview on May 1st.  

Thank you for all your opinions and experiences.

I am hoping to show her a little bit of the usa experience.

Good Luck, fingers crossed

• 1 month later...

Well....she was denied.    Never wanted to see any paperwork.  Only one question - "Why do you want to visit the USA ? "

She ended up using an agency to assist her.  Personally, I think it was a bit of a scam.  1/2 up front....  then upon success, the other half of the fee.

I think the "agency" may be the predator on the unsuspecting hopeful.    

Does anyone think my 35 years of US Govt experience might have positive reaction if I were to reach out to the embassy ? 

She has no desire to stay in the US for more than 14 days.  

I guess I was hoping if she had the information on the cruise and round trip plane tickets (which are not cheap) from Bangkok to Orlando and back, 

that it might make a difference.    I just don't get it.   I know they are trying to keep people from getting to the USA and staying illegally or doing the marriage thing.    It just sucks.    

On 3/5/2019 at 8:00 PM, bkk6060 said:

Sorry, 99.5% she will not get it.

All the recommendations for letters, statement, airline tickets are a waste of time they do not ask for any of that on the application.

Also, everything is pre screened so bringing in a bunch of documents/papers with you is a waste.

She will be rejected before her interview even starts.

Not trying to be mean I am just familiar with the current processes for these visas and the results are overwhelmingly negative.

Can you please explain why she would rejected?

I'm a Dutch national living in Thailand for 30 years and 17 years married with my Thai wife.

She has visa's for several countries and maybe we are considering a holiday to the states one day.

I have more then sufficient income and bank account with a steady job.

We have several houses etc.

Therefore my wife doesn't have to work as we are both semi retired.

Reading all those horror stories i'm getting reluctant to go to the states at all.

I don't have a clue if she would be successful for a visa reading all the stories here.

Sorry to hear your results.  It sucks to be denied.  What price was half agency fee? 

I wonder what % are getting approved in 2019 compared to pre tRump.   Seems this post vaporized.   Is it wring to ask how much?

She paid 7500 baht to the agency as 1/2 down.    She only owed the other half if successful.     

Of course 5400 baht to the Embassy and her expenses of driving to Udon and flying...hotel and then return trip.

It was a rather expensive ordeal.

35 minutes ago, brent c said:

She paid 7500 baht to the agency as 1/2 down.    She only owed the other half if successful.     

Of course 5400 baht to the Embassy and her expenses of driving to Udon and flying...hotel and then return trip.

It was a rather expensive ordeal.

Sorry it didn't pan out for you.

I just read this on the Siam Legal website, which probably about as good a legal opinion as you are going to get in Thailand;

Immigration officials are required to presume that all tourist visa applicants plan to permanently settle in the US. If you have an American boyfriend, the chance that your B2 visa application will be approved is extremely low.

I thought the phrase; 'are required to presume' was interesting.

That single assumption might answer why, before we were married and moved to the US, my wife was denied a visa.

I'm American, she'd lived and studied in the US, so the 'assumption' was I guess, that she wouldn't come back!

They have quite a lot of other articles that might be useful for others.

https://www.siam-legal.com/us-visa/us-tourist-visas-for-thai-citizens/

I think that's a fair characterization made in other comments ^.  They profile applicants and pretty much make their minds up during the admin review process.  The interview is a formality for the "Yes" cases.  The "maybes" have a chance to swing the outcome either way during the interview.  The predetermined "No" applicants have little to no chance.

Sorry it didn't work out for you guys.   We (wife) has been through the mill 3 times.  1 year and 5 year, albeit from Embassies outside Thailand.  3rd was here in BKK, she sailed through and got the 10 year, I'm sure due to her visa and US travel history up to then.

I would try again if I were you.  Do the application yourself, list yourself as filling out the application which meshes with the fact you're traveling together.  Drill her on the trip details so she's got it down pat.

I was a bit nervous applying via BKK, which seems like a wall to wall circus.  Considered Chiang Mai Consulate thinking it might be less hectic, the interviewers less stressed and jaded.  In the end, went through BKK and it worked out alright.  Good luck.

4 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I think that's a fair characterization made in other comments ^.  They profile applicants and pretty much make their minds up during the admin review process.  The interview is a formality for the "Yes" cases.  The "maybes" have a chance to swing the outcome either way during the interview.  The predetermined "No" applicants have little to no chance.

Sorry it didn't work out for you guys.   We (wife) has been through the mill 3 times.  1 year and 5 year, albeit from Embassies outside Thailand.  3rd was here in BKK, she sailed through and got the 10 year, I'm sure due to her visa and US travel history up to then.

I would try again if I were you.  Do the application yourself, list yourself as filling out the application which meshes with the fact you're traveling together.  Drill her on the trip details so she's got it down pat.

I was a bit nervous applying via BKK, which seems like a wall to wall circus.  Considered Chiang Mai Consulate thinking it might be less hectic, the interviewers less stressed and jaded.  In the end, went through BKK and it worked out alright.  Good luck.

That is what I plan on doing.  I guess I will wait a couple of months and try to help her myself.  55Jay, are you a US citizen as well ?

I just wish I knew how to help them understand she/we have no intentions on staying in the US,  it’s just a vacation.

4 hours ago, brent c said:

That is what I plan on doing.  I guess I will wait a couple of months and try to help her myself.  55Jay, are you a US citizen as well ?

I just wish I knew how to help them understand she/we have no intentions on staying in the US,  it’s just a vacation.

Yes, I'm a US citizen.  The difference is we were married for all the applications.  That's why I hesitate with advice, because girlfriends are a different kettle of fish.

Still, I suggest you try again yourself, online, no visa agents.

17 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Yes, I'm a US citizen.  The difference is we were married for all the applications.  That's why I hesitate with advice, because girlfriends are a different kettle of fish.

Still, I suggest you try again yourself, online, no visa agents.

I think I'd ditto this.

Even though we'd been together for years in Singapore & Thailand before applying for a tourist visa, what the CO assumes, no matter what you say, that you are just going for a vacation (I just wanted us to visit my daughter who'd just had a baby) is immaterial to them, they have already done the 'profiling'

When we were married and applied for a green card, it sailed through in 100 days in BKK, with three simple questions at the interview, it's objective, whereas a tourist visa is very very subjective.

I also don't think an agent brings much value to a tourist visa, as I 'remember' the application, there wasn't much I think an agent could do that you couldn't do yourself.

So give it a couple of months and as @55Jay rightly said, do it yourself and try again

It amuses me that US still has such strict visa requirements in place while the country is literally formed entirely by immigrants from its beginnings and there are entire industries where only poorly paid immigrants are found. (perhaps because the average american is literally refusing those jobs)

TBH , I never had a problem (Travelled with a B1/B2 visa together with my Thai wife for a conference and used the free time to visit things) but I really don't understand why they're so afraid considering US is not that great anymore in terms of employment and living standards.  But hey , what do I know... maybe now US is great again.  /s

PS : A good job is more than enough to grant you a tourist visa. In my case they didn't even bothered with invitation letter , salary and other documents only asked what do I work and why do you want to visit US. Same for my wife. And that's it. And Yes, i agree that applications are "pre-checked",  In fact they already know if they will grant you visa or not because you are being assigned a "Score" before talking to the CO

32 minutes ago, anon7854 said:

It amuses me that US still has such strict visa requirements in place while the country is literally formed entirely by immigrants from its beginnings and there are entire industries where only poorly paid immigrants are found. (perhaps because the average american is literally refusing those jobs)

TBH , I never had a problem (Travelled with a B1/B2 visa together with my Thai wife for a conference and used the free time to visit things) but I really don't understand why they're so afraid considering US is not that great anymore in terms of employment and living standards.  But hey , what do I know... maybe now US is great again.  /s

PS : A good job is more than enough to grant you a tourist visa. In my case they didn't even bothered with invitation letter , salary and other documents only asked what do I work and why do you want to visit US. Same for my wife. And that's it. And Yes, i agree that applications are "pre-checked",  In fact they already know if they will grant you visa or not because you are being assigned a "Score" before talking to the CO

Well it's not like all tourists have problems, a good deal of the world is covered by the visa free ESTA program.

For Thai's one thing to remember is that 25% of the global Thai expat community lives in the US, so there is some rationale behind the profiling that goes on.

I must say I am very surprised to learn she didn’t get the visa, bearing in mind:

1. "Royal Caribbean cruise in December all paid for"

2. "She is in her 40's, owns the home, car, motorcycle and is a hard working employee at a hospital."   
3. "She has made one trip to Europe on her own."

The only mark against her is that you are an American. Even so, I think whomever made the decision was being very hard on her.

For what it’s worth, I think using an agent was a mistake.

On 5/3/2019 at 11:02 PM, macahoom said:

I must say I am very surprised to learn she didn’t get the visa, bearing in mind:

1. "Royal Caribbean cruise in December all paid for"

2. "She is in her 40's, owns the home, car, motorcycle and is a hard working employee at a hospital."   
3. "She has made one trip to Europe on her own."

The only mark against her is that you are an American. Even so, I think whomever made the decision was being very hard on her.

For what it’s worth, I think using an agent was a mistake.

I agree, I think it was a mistake as well.

I would not be surprised if they (US) knows the ploy that agency uses and shoots the visa down immediately.

She was just trying to be independent and do this on her own and not be a bother or a burden in any way.

She based her decision on a friend being successful 2 or so years ago using that particular company.

So you gentleman do not think I should contact the embassy and attempt to discuss the case of getting a visa ?

I am thinking my previous background and history with the Department of the Treasury might help them see the light.

And I know she must meet the merits on her own.

I honestly think using the agency is what did her in.  But I am unsure since no feedback is ever given.

3 minutes ago, brent c said:

So you gentleman do not think I should contact the embassy and attempt to discuss the case of getting a visa ?

I am thinking my previous background and history with the Department of the Treasury might help them see the light.

And I know she must meet the merits on her own.

I honestly think using the agency is what did her in.  But I am unsure since no feedback is ever given.

I don't suppose it can do any harm if you can get to speak to the right person or department.

4 hours ago, rasg said:

I don't suppose it can do any harm if you can get to speak to the right person or department.

I sincerely doubt you'll ever get to speak to a CO directly, but give it a try, but equally don't get your hopes up.

Unless you are trying to talk to a human with regard to consular assistance for a US citizen in trouble, for anything else it's tough.

I'd try the email route first. If you get a form response, then I wouldn't even try phoning, because all it will do is frustrate you even more

Once you get refused you have very little chance of ever getting it. A refused visa is a red flag for any CO if you will apply again as most likely it lowers your score.

Going through an agency/agent was stupid. Try to find out what documents they used. Did they mention it was a cruise? Did the attach the tickets to the application?  I don't think that was the reason. And there is ALWAYS a section mentioned when they refuse your stay. Was the visa refused with Section 214b or 214g?

FYI appeals are out of question , you're loosing your time with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,  the agent basically is a ruse if you ask me.

They pretend to take several on a US tour to San Francisco and Las Vegas.

of course there is no tour.  Its just lies to the Embassy.  

I do not even have the cruise tickets yet myself, so that cannot be shown.

My contact vis email resulted in a case number being initiated by the embassy in Bangkok  I will update when things worth reporting occur for those interested.

On 3/3/2019 at 8:35 AM, JerseytoBKK said:

"if she mentions you it will be a no go" is complete BS that keeps getting repeated as an urban myth. When my girlfriend applied she listed that she was going to visit me. My name was also listed as helping her fill out the form because she insisted on filling out the application in English. Her interview lasted 3 minutes and she was only asked 4 questions, including who she was going to visit, how long and where she planned to go. She received a 10 year visa.

Brent, if she has been employed at the hospital for years, earns a decent salary and states the specific cruise she plans to take with you, then I'd be surprised if she's turned down. Have her take a letter from her employer stating her salary, length of employment, and the number of vacation days she is entitled to in case they want to see that info. They never asked to see any documentation from my girlfriend but she had a folder with car and house records along with the employment letter.

Oh geez, you were so right!

Archived