Trump slams Mueller, mocks critics in fiery two-hour speech

rooster59

Trump slams Mueller, mocks critics in fiery two-hour speech

By Katanga Johnson and Steve Holland

800x800 (14).jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump hugs American flag at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) annual meeting at National Harbor near Washington, U.S., March 2, 2019. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

OXON HILL, Md. (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Saturday attacked U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller ahead of his report on alleged Russia collusion by the Trump campaign in 2016 and said his political opponents were "trying to take me out with bullshit."

In a speech that lasted more than two hours -- his longest since taking office two years ago -- Trump also vented about Democrats, a proposed "green new deal," illegal immigrants and criticism of his North Korea summit, while voicing optimism about his own re-election prospects in 2020.

Addressing a cheering audience at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference in Oxon Hill, Maryland, Trump veered off-script to launch a tirade about events that led to the Russia investigation.

He mocked his former attorney general, Jeff Sessions, and former FBI Director James Comey, both of whom Trump fired.

"We're waiting for a report by people who weren't elected," Trump said of the Mueller report, which is widely expected to be handed over to Attorney General William Barr in the coming days.

Deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein appointed Mueller in May 2017 to take over the Russia investigation after Trump fired Comey, whose agency had led the probe initially. Rosenstein is expected to step down by mid-March.

Swarms of young adults stood to applaud Trump in the packed hotel ballroom where he spoke, at times breaking into chants like "Trump is our Man" and "We Love You."

Trump said Comey was Mueller's "best friend," and implied Comey should have been fired before Trump took office.

"Unfortunately, you put the wrong people in a couple of positions and they leave people for a long time that shouldn't be there and all of a sudden they are trying to take you out with bullshit, okay?" Trump said.

"Now Robert Mueller never received a vote and neither did the person who appointed him," he added.

Trump still has made no move to fire Mueller, a Republican and respected former FBI director who has conducted his investigation with utmost secrecy.

Trump also mocked the Southern accent of Sessions and criticized him for recusing himself from the Russia probe. In November, Trump fired Sessions, a former U.S. senator from Alabama who was among the first Republican lawmakers to back Trump's presidential bid.

Trump's face perspired as he lashed out at critics after a stressful week during which his former lawyer Michael Cohen accused the president in congressional testimony of breaking the law. Also, the president concluded a summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Hanoi without reaching a denuclearisation deal.

The White House has rejected Cohen's allegations and on Saturday, Trump said his talks with Kim were productive and could lead to an agreement in which other, unspecified nations provide aid to Pyongyang.

Trump addressed criticism from the parents of Otto Warmbier, an American student who died after 17 months in a North Korean prison. They had complained when Trump said at a Hanoi news conference that he believed Kim had nothing to do with Warmbier's death.

"I love Otto," Trump said, but added he was trying to maintain "a delicate balance" with the North Koreans as he attempts to coax them into giving up their nuclear programme.

Trump ridiculed a Democratic "green new deal" plan to fight climate change, pointing to provisions such as reducing airplane flights or eating less beef.

"This is the craziest plan," Trump said, adding that Democratic support for it would help Republicans politically. He said he believed he will win in 2020, rejecting critics who said lack of support for Trump was behind the Republican loss of the U.S. House of Representatives last November.

"Wait 'til you see what happens when I do run," he said.

Democratic National Committee spokesman Daniel Wessel quickly hit back on Saturday afternoon, describing the speech in a statement as "a bizarre, unhinged rant."

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-03

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A two-hour speech? Wow, he's getting up into Dictator-level length speeches.

Why do authoritarian leaders give such long speeches?

https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/04/25/why-do-authoritarian-leaders-give-such-long-speeches/

He's obviously frustrated - no deal in Hanoi, "I prefer my dealmakers to make a deal" and the Cohen testimony.

I'm not sure I want to take the time to watch all of this speech.

Full stream, trump waddles on stage ~ 1H12M mark.

Personally, I think Mueller is the least of his worries, other than having lied on his written answers and facing sealed indictments, but he loves to make his attacks personal so doesn't have a name to associate with the SDNY.

Mix tape:

9 minutes ago, simple1 said:

trump just confirming he has lost the plot - no new ideas, repeats BS and repeats again and again = Zzzzzzzz

trump is the poster boy for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. The cognitive bias of illusory superiority comes from the inability of low-ability people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, low-ability people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Ranting in front of his far-right base.

While the rest of America receives ever more frequent reports of Trump’s corruption, incompetence and treachery.

You mean more fake news.

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

No need waking up till the 2024 Elections.????

Personally I am of the opinion that trump would do so much further damage to the US both domestically and internationally he will not attain a second term - so long as the Dems keep focussed on the indisputable fact trump is the leader of an idiocracy.

http://time.com/4327424/idiocracy/

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

You mean more fake news.

More fake news, you mean like this report from Fox News, where the CIA was worried about Kushner, which is likely because of the Russian connection Mueller is investigating.

Security officials, Kelly and White House counsel Don McGahn were determined to continue to oppose “something they knew the president wasn’t going to like — refusing to give a top-security clearance to Jared Kushner,” said Wallace.

https://news.yahoo.com/fox-news-apos-chris-wallace-010433536.html?.tsrc=jtc_news_index

34 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Swarms of young adults stood to applaud Trump in the packed hotel ballroom where he spoke, at times breaking into chants like "Trump is our Man" and "We Love You."

And that is a damning indictment of the country's education system. Young people ought to have the intelligence to work out who you can trust and who you can't.

Just now, ThreeEyedRaven said:

And that is a damning indictment of the country's education system. Young people ought to have the intelligence to work out who you can trust and who you can't.

I'd love to know the average IQs of those young people who are Trump supporters. I'll bet the median is south of 100.

I couldn't watch for more than about two minutes of his address at CPAC. In that short time, he spewed hate and fear mongering to a new level never before seen. He broke out "Trumps Greatest Hits" including the caravan (gotta build that wall!). He said Guatemalan mothers were loading down their daughters with birth control pills cuz they were going to be repeatedly raped. He was pulling numbers out his ass, but that's nothing new. The most despicable part of the whole two minutes were the MAGA sycophants positively wetting themselves with mad cheering. Lies upon lies upon lies. And in the meanwhile:

Cohen Knows Where The Bodies Are Buried.jpg

The man is a complete rectum. I loved seeing the words 'Trump' and 'Loser in a headline after the NK 'Summit' - his blood pressure clearly went into  orbit and brought on this speech to the Kool Aid drinkers.

Maybe next time it will be an aneurysm to do the world a favour as people are tired of his boorish petulant antics.

18 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

How come his orange peel anti aging skin lotion did'nt run?

Miracles of modern science: spray-paint booth + tanning bed.

19 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

he's on a defensive rampage and the best defense (as they say in sports) is attacking and BullShitting

"If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts. If you have the law on your side, pound the law. If you have neither on your side, pound the table."

I think maybe Mueller's report might have the potential of being the beginning of the end for Trump.

Mueller is no amateur, he will supposedly deliver a well researched and comprehensive report

re his findings.

If it is being revealed that Trump has done some criminal acts, of course, Trump will be in

serious trouble.

That aside, this report will likely make Trump hit the ceiling. He will protest and protest it

and fight and fight it in TV in newspapers in speeches in tweets.

Over and over again. It will eat him from inside like cancer. Take all his energy.

Probably no power or capacity left to run his presidential office.

The man is obviously so rattled by the investigations, the fact that they are so close to home with his kids now, and the upcoming testimony of Weisselberg, which could no doubt be the most damaging to date. So, he ventures are far off plot as possible, rambling for two hours in a speech that had less substance than Brittany Spears last press conference. He loves to get in front of his supporters who possess TDS (Trump deceived his supports), so he can feel good about his life, and his current situation, even if it for ra fleeting two hours. They energize him, as the fervent devotees believe virtually everything the Master has to say. 

He is a human train wreck. One who came back from Hanoi empty handed, due to his tremendous lack of negotiating skills. Fortunately, we only have to bear 22 more months of this guy, as he is a lame duck. I doubt he will even run in 2020. Just wait until the SDNY revelations come out. He has been committing crimes and misdemeanors there for four decades. They know who he is. 

Just now, melvinmelvin said:

I think maybe Mueller's report might have the potential of being the beginning of the end for Trump.

Mueller is no amateur, he will supposedly deliver a well researched and comprehensive report

re his findings.

If it is being revealed that Trump has done some criminal acts, of course, Trump will be in

serious trouble.

That aside, this report will likely make Trump hit the ceiling. He will protest and protest it

and fight and fight it in TV in newspapers in speeches in tweets.

Over and over again. It will eat him from inside like cancer. Take all his energy.

Probably no power or capacity left to run his presidential office.

I don't think it will be Mueller who takes Trump down. Cohen all but verified there was no Russian collusion. It will be the Southern District of New York who takes down the Trump Crime Family, and there is NO presidential pardon for crimes at the state level.

taxes - me too.jpg

8 minutes ago, quandow said:

Cohen all but verified there was no Russian collusion.

Hmm. Was that a lie too? Or was he telling the truth? ????

Organized crime syndicates compartmentalize/smokestack their activities: protection, numbers, gambling, drugs, prostitution, garbage collection, etc. The fact that Cohen was unaware of conspiring with the Russians to defraud the United States is hardly surprising, The Don kept him in his lane. Don Jr. probably handled that side of things, with a sprinkling of Jared and Paully Man. Or Maybe Mathew "The Big Squid" Calamari?

Is Ray Liotta too old to play Michael Cohen? (After starring in The Sopranos prequel)

All the President's Men meets The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight meets The Manchurian Candidate. Based on Cohen's book, directed by Martin Scorcese?

22 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Terrific speech! 

Trump proves again why he will be reelected for another term next year! 

MAGA

Hope you didn't wet your pants (or worse). That much crap out of The Genius for two hours straight is pretty hard to digest, I understand.

48 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Terrific speech! 

Trump proves again why he will be reelected for another term next year! 

MAGA

I particularly like the bit when he was trying to convince everyone that his call for Russia to deliver Clinton’s emails was ‘just a joke’.

He seems to be concerned other’s might not see it that way.

If he’s not concerned how did that come up two years later in this ‘speech’?

Trump knows he’s toast.

10 minutes ago, longtom said:

This Trump-cult thing is getting out of control.

It really was horrible to watch that nasty piece of work vomiting hateful rhetoric and his MAGA lackeys were just sucking up that puke! Anyone with a half a brain who would apply critical thinking would see how INSANE he is.  As I wrote recently, I can see how Hitler got started, and we haven't learned a damned thing from that wretched part of human history.

Archived