officer wants to take me to station so i can "teach english"

BananaBandit

I was sitting in one of those 7-Elevens with a table by the window, teaching myself how to read Thai. A man, somewhere around age 30, in a Thai police uniform sits down next to me. I just try to mind my own business. He must have noticed what I was studying, because he asks me if I can speak Thai. Little bit, I tell him. After two minutes of conversation, he tells me that I speak Thai well (I'm not so sure that's correct). According to him, basically none of the other farangs around here (I'm in Isan) can speak Thai worth a damn (I honestly have no clue if this is accurate). He then tells me that I should go to the police station and teach English to the police officers. This ain't exactly my idea of a fun time. It soon dawned on me that he wanted me right there and then to exit the 7-Eleven and get into his vehicle. Maybe another day, I told him. After a few more minutes of conversation, which, for some reason, involved him asking me if I have investments in the stock market, he gets up, tells me he has to go back to work, shakes my hand, and then leaves. For what it's worth, he had someone with him - a pretty nurse whom I assume is his girlfriend or something. I'll admit I was glad when they left.

............So....What do people make of this situation?    Is it some sort of attempt at something very sketchy? What should I do if I encounter this person a second time? Even if it's legit, I doubt I want any part of it...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

............So....What do people make of this situation?    Is it some sort of attempt at something very sketchy? What should I do if I encounter this person a second time? Even if it's legit, I doubt I want any part of it...

Don't be so paranoid.

Are you American by the way?

Guy was just meaning well.

Always a good idea of getting on well with the local plod over here.

Maybe a 2 hour session once a week down the local cop shop teaching English is a way of you getting involved, they learn English, you learn a bit more Thai.

And make new friends....

Win win.

Don't be so paranoid.

8 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Don't be so paranoid.

Maybe a 2 hour session once a week down the local cop shop teaching English is a way of you getting involved, they learn English, you learn a bit more Thai.

And make new friends....

Win win.

Don't be so paranoid.

I would not go chasing this chance encounter but if it moves on then why not. As described here why wouldn't you be prepared to exchange language lessons? If it could be done socially (away from the station) I would feel more comfortable. I would also prefer it to be done with the station heads approval. A fun night out with the boys!

13 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

I would not go chasing this chance encounter but if it moves on then why not. As described here why wouldn't you be prepared to exchange language lessons? If it could be done socially (away from the station) I would feel more comfortable. I would also prefer it to be done with the station heads approval. A fun night out with the boys!

3 Things.

You can't do it for money without a work permit. (illegal)

You can't volunteer to teach them English without a work permit. (illegal)

You can "help out a friend that just happens to be a cop".  (I think)

23 hours ago, Liverpudlian said:

Tell him you no hab work permit .

One  can't teach English if there is no work permit.

It might have been a  bait to see if one teach English illegally which will result in one being arrested.

Do it if you want. 600 baht per hour I think is the government rate. As for the work permit, I have done work (both paid and voluntary) for the police. I have told them I have a work permit and they told me we wouldn't mind if you didn't. we just want your help. Of course much better to have a work permit.

Looks like you handled the situation perfectly.

If anyone wants to do anything remotely seen as working then be careful. Learn the rules and more importantly the street smarts of what can happen.

In this case a possible sting to extort money even though most likely a friendly chat.

No need anyway. Robots taking over all jobs.

A couple of years ago the Govt department where my wife works was instructed to improve the English of their staff.

They asked around the expat community frequenting the local expat waterholes. On the provincial head's instructions they assured whoever was interested in teaching them they wouldn't require a work permit.

A local expat teacher took up the offer and I believe was paid a fair sum for weekly lessons that ran for a few months.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:58 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Don't be so paranoid.

And make new friends....

Win win.

Don't be so paranoid.

But technically he will need a work permit which will cost him money.

But technically he will need a work permit which will cost him money.

Not always the case.  If you are enrolled as a Tourist Police Volunteer, then you do not need a WP to legally perform that task (I did this for many years in BKK, Pattaya and Phuket - always told that TPVs don't need a WP and I never had a problem in 15 years..).  I also taught English to police officers.

What would I do in your circumstances?  Offer to teach them English if they can find an endless supply of pretty women like the one with the police officer  ????

YAAAAAWNNN... The ‘Work Permit Brigade’ have woken up... 

IMO Op: This was just a Thai Bloke being a little over zealous in wanting to chat with a foreigner. He simply saw an opportunity and thought it a good idea for you to teach his colleagues. And yes as a generalisation, Thai’s often ‘think in the now’ thus, when he had an idea he thought it good to execute his idea right now... 

The Stock-market questions were strange, he was either trying to impress you with some knowledge or more likely impress his squeeze with a pseudo-financial lure.. i.e. that in discussing the stock-market he may make her think he is a wealthy investor (what an imagination !)... 

Either way... he was probably drunk... nothing to worry about. 

1 hour ago, Cereal said:

If it is legit it could be good for you. Always nice to have a cop friend or two.

Yes, if it was legit. However, a card or contact number and a call for an appointment would be a better way than--get in the car now. 

29 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Yes, if it was legit. However, a card or contact number and a call for an appointment would be a better way than--get in the car now. 

Cops here are your 'friend' until you need help......

On 3/3/2019 at 9:58 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Don't be so paranoid.

And make new friends....

Win win.

Don't be so paranoid.

Solid. My exact thoughts on the matter too. 

Yes, corruption is rife in Thailand - it doesn't mean the cop is going to kidnap you off the street from right under the 20 cameras in each 7/11 store as part of some plot to hold you for ransom. He was probably just bored and wanted to learn some English.

38 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Either way... he was probably drunk... nothing to worry about. 

Just snorted coffee out my nose slightly. 

You're right in the rest of your post too. Probably just overzealous, especially if in a smaller centre. I got a ticket in Hua Hin once and ended up at the station for two hours with a bunch of cops who just wanted to hear what life was like in New Zealand. Nothing dodgy about it at all, I even got invited for a game of golf and they fed me, because it happened to be lunchtime. I could have just paid my ticket and left, but it was kinda nice to see that Thai cops are people too...

Archived