officer wants to take me to station so i can "teach english"

BananaBandit

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/4/2019 at 9:46 AM, wildewillie89 said:

Do it if you want. 600 baht per hour I think is the government rate. As for the work permit, I have done work (both paid and voluntary) for the police. I have told them I have a work permit and they told me we wouldn't mind if you didn't. we just want your help. Of course much better to have a work permit.

your work permit permits you to work at only one job location.

it has zero value otherwise and can't be used to work somewhere else

On 3/3/2019 at 9:58 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Don't be so paranoid.

Are you American by the way?

Guy was just meaning well.

Always a good idea of getting on well with the local plod over here.

Maybe a 2 hour session once a week down the local cop shop teaching English is a way of you getting involved, they learn English, you learn a bit more Thai.

And make new friends....

Win win.

Don't be so paranoid.

If he does not have a work permit he would be arrested.

Dear OP,

i’m also in Isaan and I get this all the time from the local cops - never sinister, always genuine and really want to learn to speak better English, from a real Englishman.

They pay me in beer and I say I’m doing it as a friend in case of WP issues. As they are mostly relations by marriage or genuine friends, this is actually true. The first guy, I didn’t know at all - turned out to be a real diamond.

So go ahead and enjoy yourself, you may make a few friends too ????

Best of luck

1 minute ago, Greyhat said:

If you've got nothing better to do with your time and you flatly refuse payment, having a cop mate can be extremely handy.

Or dangerous.

Personally, i'd never get friendly with any police in this country.....

My lord there are some sour people on this thread. 

Pro tip: Not every Thai person is out to get you. Though with the attitudes some display on here, I'm unsurprised why most of their experiences are bad ones 

The approach may well have been entirely innocent and genuine. However, personally, I prefer to have a low or no profile whilst in foreign countries. I stick to the rules but try to be a ghost, and not stick out in anyway. 

On 3/4/2019 at 9:46 AM, wildewillie89 said:

Do it if you want. 600 baht per hour I think is the government rate. As for the work permit, I have done work (both paid and voluntary) for the police. I have told them I have a work permit and they told me we wouldn't mind if you didn't. we just want your help. Of course much better to have a work permit.

actually, working for the government is one of the exemptions from work permit requirement.

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

My lord there are some sour people on this thread. 

Pro tip: Not every Thai person is out to get you. Though with the attitudes some display on here, I'm unsurprised why most of their experiences are bad ones 

They are if you let them

I've seen a few You Tube videos of foreigners out in the boondocks with their wives, all of them working on the farm, and videoing every part of it. No Police show up to discuss their lack of work permits? Isn't that only likely to happen if you are running a bar somewhere with a wife and you get grassed up by the competition?

last I checked their were still people in the world that just want to say hello have a little chat. 

90 day check in yesterday usual IO was at the 90 day desk. There was a guy sitting next to him I’d not seen before and was dressed differently but a uniform. 

I was second in line a the person in front had 6 passports and in the waiting chairs area were 6 people. 

The guy guy sitting next to him came over to me. Put his hand on my shoulder where you from? A little chi chat asked if I came alone. Nope wife is in car with the dog. What kind of dog mixed Pom Pom Chihuahua but my wife is all Chihuahua... he laughed

and went out and about. 

Guessing the guy guy in front of me was an agent.... he was given

6 No...and told him go down the street. 

In and out 15 minutes maybe I’m weird I like going to the IO

its a trip into the big city from the village 

I don't think this is unusual. During the early years of my marriage (to Thai Nurse) when we went out to see her friends or she would visit a government dept, I always took a 'learn Thai' pencil and paper with me. At a friend's place inevitably I would find myself alone while they went out to get something to eat and so I would practice reading and writing Thai. However, when at a gov. office (or at her ward) I would often get approached. Sometimes it would be about a specific document that needed an English version, or check some English etc. nothing really complicated. I helped some police both in the martial arts and English language but I always did that home. In that way it wasn't a 'formal' job. I did English Conversation at a local university but I stopped doing that when the students were (repeatedly) sent out on 'job experience' or 'field studies' and I wasn't told (despite having a program sheet). I declined to teach at the police station because I thought it wouldn't be a 'friendly setting'. Each to his own, I suppose.????

Archived