If your Thai wife dies, how do you protect yourself from her family...

doggie1955

Let's just say your Thai Wife dies here in Thailand, what happens to your home, everything in the home, land, car/truck, bank account...

As we all know, shit happens here in Thailand every day. The Wife just goes to 7/11 to get something and she gets hit by a truck and dies.

We all know how her family will be at your home looking at what they can get their hands on, even if you paid for it all.

So how do you protect yourself, what do you need to do?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make sure that she has a legally  drawn will is the first step in protecting yourself, then life insurance with you as the beneficiary,  failing all that,  pack a big bag and leave the country, quickly. 

Get another wife quickly and sign over to her........oh no forget that ????

Get a reputable Thai Lawyer..... ????

Talk with the village headman...  ????

Payoff the parasites loving relatives with a one off payment ... ????

run away?

A detailed will, specifying clearly what's what and who gets what. Even to the point of who doesn't, if that's an issue. Proper lawyer office handling things and copies in a safe place. Would also help, IMO, if how things stand were made clear to family beforehand, but that may depend on the situation.

If there's no will, immediate family members (other than spouse) stand to get quite a bit of the inheritance (at least when it comes to real-estate). And unless one is blessed with especially nice relatives, this could prove to be a problem.

There was a topic discussing such a situation some months ago, by @tutsiwarrior . Many informative posts on there, plus accounts of how things go down or are handled in reality.

30 minutes ago, doggie1955 said:

We all know how her family will be at your home looking at what they can get their hands on, even if you paid for it all.

So how do you protect yourself, what do you need to do?

Why would they do that if your legally married and your wife has son or daughter.

My problem would be finding another 400,000 before immigration kicked me out they wouldn't care.   

When my GF was diagnosed with bone marrow cancer, she told me that her family was waiting like vultures to take her house and car. I don't stay with her so I don't have any problem with that but I wanted my minor daughter to inherit her property (house, furniture, appliances, air con, gold and car) and we did a will at the amphoe indicating that only my minor daughter will inherit her mom's property (house, furniture, appliances, air-con, gold and car) after her death. Her family will inherit only her TV. She responded to medications and doing very well now.

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The home and land issue I understand, since they can't be in your name.

But why on earth have vehicles and bank accounts without your name on them?

As far as I understand, as long as there's a will in place, a foreign spouse may be granted a time frame in which he can sort out ownership. Gets more complicated in cases of shared ownership/inheritance.

Mrs. Morch got a car and a couple of bank account in her own name. I think that's not unusual. We also have a joint account, and I have others solely under my name.

7 minutes ago, simon43 said:

If you have to 'protect' yourself from her family, then you have married the wrong person....  

Surely you marry the woman, not her family. It's not her fault if they are vultures.  

8 minutes ago, simon43 said:

If you have to 'protect' yourself from her family, then you have married the wrong person....  

Simon ole lad, why make that comment?

My wife is a fantastic, loving, caring, honest lady.

Now her family are the complete opposite, they steal, con, lie every single day.

My wife dies i am totally knackered, i have thought about this a few times, time for me to pop a pile of pills and join her.

The best advice is for non-Thais NOT to marry Thai ladies. All will be in safe hands in the arms of your home country ladies. Thailand is dangerous, yes very.

take your wife and go talk to a real licensed Thai Attorney, pay him/her for their professional opinion on how to protect both you and your wife in the event of an untimely death, and get a copy of their Attorney license. Visit your home country (USA) and talk to a licensed Attorney, again, pay them for their professional opinion and get a copy of their license. Then proceed.

I did the above, have complete Attorney packages/documents, wills power of attorneys, living wills, etc. Costly - yes. Peace of mind is worth it. International law - YOU must protect your and your wife's interest. International Law - you need legal documents that are registered and account for all scenarios - you do need Attorneys from both countries. 

uhm… free legal advice on an internet forum - well... you get what you pay for.

1 minute ago, ravip said:

The best advice is for non-Thais NOT to marry Thai ladies. All will be in safe hands in the arms of your home country ladies. Thailand is dangerous, yes very.

Thinking about being with one of my home country woman is the most depressing image I could ever create. Give me Thai ladies every day. 

Just now, Pilotman said:

Thinking about being with one of my home country woman is the most depressing image I could ever create. Give me Thai ladies every day. 

You seems to be an exception! Good luck to you and I wish you all the very best. With your pattern of thinking, you will be very happy in Thailand!

1 minute ago, ravip said:

You seems to be an exception! Good luck to you and I wish you all the very best. With your pattern of thinking, you will be very happy in Thailand!

I am and I'm not at all sure that I am the exception on this forum.  

5 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

Thai experts?

you mean TV cynics?

Absolutely! The top experts on Thailand are here - TVF. They are supreme, faultless, knows everything much better than the Thais themselves.

4 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

if the family are trying to take the house from you just hire a bulldozer

Why should one be so desperate to find a family?

Can families be found ONLY in Thailand?

Archived