any refurbished computers shop in Pattaya or Bangkok?

mauroest

3 minutes ago, mokwit said:

There is/was one in Phantip - I used to buy Dell corporate boxes there, but note they are not refurbished and at an age where the capacitors are expiring. Another similar one in Fortune Tower.

What age is that please?

I saw a couple of shops like that in Fortune Town.

If you don't mind me asking: What is your plan?

There are also lots of companies with old PCs and they don't know what to do with them.

And of course new PCs are a lot cheaper and faster now then years ago.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

What age is that please?

3 years. After 3 years across a number of machines you are likely start to get failures , but they can run on for six years or more on an individual machine. 7 years for solid capacitors but that is high end gaming boards and some server boards.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mokwit said:

3 years. After 3 years across a number of machines you are likely start to get failures , but they can run on for six years or more on an individual machine. 7 years for solid capacitors but that is high end gaming boards and some server boards.

At least from my personal experience that is wrong. I work with a couple of companies with hundreds of PCs. Some of them are really old like early Pentium with Windows XP.

Over time we changed many of these PCs to new PCs because of performance reasons and higher specs for new software. I can't even remember the last time an old PC failed and we had to replace it for that reason. In my experience 99% of them last longer than they could be used (with old software, little RAM, old slow HDDs, etc.)

• Thanks 2

I'm not going to tell the two 11 year old laptops, a 5 year old computer laptop, and a 4 year old laptop all still running fine that their caps are expired.    And from my younger years of working on electronics/avionics when in the military that capacitors do not have any higher failure rate than other active or passive electronic components.  Sure, you can occasionally get a "bad batch" from manufacturer but that can occur with any type of hardware, food, etc. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shady86 said:

I find prices for refurbished pcs in pantip are above market price. Depends how much you are looking for, buying direct from seller would be the better choice.

in Italy I can find many and in good condition with warranty but send a parcel here costs 6 USD/Kg . I'll try in Pantip and Craigslist .
Thank you all

6 hours ago, mauroest said:

in Italy I can find many and in good condition with warranty but send a parcel here costs 6 USD/Kg . I'll try in Pantip and Craigslist .

Fortune would be much better than Phantip (and easier to get to, right outside PhaRam 9 MRT), if you have transport then Zeer Rangsit would be your place. 

I've bought several Dell desktops (mostly Optiplex 790 small form-factor with i5 and i7 processors) from a couple of outlets in Zeer over the years, ideal for Thai grandkids on a budget (I'm on the budget). Bang in a bit more RAM and an SSD and they're (almost) like new.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 3:42 PM, samsensam said:

pantip or fortune mall. i'd start at procorner at fortune mall run by a thai guy Nick, he speaks engish and has been reliable and straight whenever i've dealt with him.

2nd Pro Corner, Fortune Tower, 3rd floor.  They do sell refurbished notebooks and desktops.  Nick is capable and honest.  I believe he gives a one month warranty on 2nd hand and refurb items.  Closed Sundays.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 3:42 PM, samsensam said:

pantip or fortune mall. i'd start at procorner at fortune mall run by a thai guy Nick, he speaks engish and has been reliable and straight whenever i've dealt with him.

What floor is Nick on? How do I find him? Do you know if he can fix a laptop which is password protected?

23 minutes ago, shady86 said:
28 minutes ago, possum1931 said:
What floor is Nick on? How do I find him? Do you know if he can fix a laptop which is password protected?

I can do it for you. You can PM me.

PM sent.

• 10 months later...