New Fruit Trees Advise Please.

My last property included an established large orchard of mango, coconut and lamyai trees (and some other kinds of fruit) and we had great success with the fruit crops each year and the trees were all really healthy and cared for my us with pruning and feeding etc. 

We are at a new place now and have no fruit trees and I am wanting to plant a few at the back of the house to provide shade to that side (its the side gets the most sun), and also for the bonus of some organic fruit we can eat ourselves).  

Going to the plant shops I can only find really small saplings.  These are mostly less than 1 meter high, look really thin and straggly.

Is this normal to buy such small trees to start out?  Can they be bought larger and older (say 2 meters) or does this not happen... like the ornamental trees?

If I get the small ones..... do they grown quickly?  

I don't want to wait years and years for them to get to the size they will give shade to the house and look nice.  If its going to take years I might just buy some fancy pretty larger trees.

Thanks to anyone with advise about this.

We bought a good selection of the varieties that we like to eat. All were tiny things from the nursery but with a good water supply and good soil, they are all growing well. You are looking at at least 2 yrs to get to any reasonable height and average of 5 yrs for production of fruit, depending on the fruit.

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

We bought a good selection of the varieties that we like to eat. All were tiny things from the nursery but with a good water supply and good soil, they are all growing well. You are looking at at least 2 yrs to get to any reasonable height and average of 5 yrs for production of fruit, depending on the fruit.

thanks.  2 years is not too bad. 

If you want some very fast growing trees you could get a manilla cherry.Gives good shade and you can eat the fruit.

When other trees have grown a bit you can cut this one down.It is very soft wood but grows very fast.Also bananas are very fast growing and of course papaya.Many young trees do very well if they get some shade the first few years.

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

There are loads of places along the roads selling really big trees.

You can buy any size you like.

Yes I have seen those.   However, they are not fruit trees, they are ornamental trees or 'wild' ones that have been dug up when they clear the land to make more housing etc.

As a former landscape gardener I can with confidence advise against buying larger trees. In Thailand smaller trees do need looking after, in our case including protection against cattle, but they will start to grow after a year or so. I lost customers for refusing to plant trees that needed a crane to put in place, as an expensive tree like that has to be guaranteed. 

The pleasure I have looking at palms I raised from seeds, plants I raised from cuttings and seeds, is well worth the wait.

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Thanks.  Is that Bangkok?  I am up north in Chiang Mai.  

Give the Khamthiang Flower Market a try. It's huge and is in back of the Tesco off the super highway or 11. GPS 18.8057413062, 98.9972792999 We have bought a lot of trees of different kind and have never been disappointed. Give yourself a day.

4 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Give the Khamthiang Flower Market a try. It's huge and is in back of the Tesco off the super highway or 11. GPS 18.8057413062, 98.9972792999 We have bought a lot of trees of different kind and have never been disappointed. Give yourself a day.

Yes, I know that place. Did not think it did fruit trees though, just pretty plants for the garden.  Thanks, I will take a look tomorrow.  

Archived