Do you consider Cambodia more dangerous in general than Thailand?

Captain 776

I have lived in Thailand 13 yrs now and visited Cambodia 6 times, longest stay was 8 days when we did a motorcycle tour off the main roads thru the countryside.

In my trips there, I never had a problem.

I see some discussion here about living in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, or Philippines.

From things I have read, it seems to me Cambodia is more dangerous..........what are your thoughts and also comment on Phil’s and Vietnam if you have experience there.

thanks

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first day I ever set foot in Cambodia which was 2013 I had my brand new at the time iphone 5 stolen from my hands in Phnom Penh whilst using google maps trying to navigate around, the thieves snatched it from my hands on a motorcycle, they came up the pavement and drove off. £600 odd gone in a blink of an eye. I was a newbie to Asia so wasn't on guard to stuff like this happening

My 2nd trip a year or so later I was in a tuk tuk from airport to my hotel and had some thieves try to steal my laptop bag out of the tuk tuk but luckily i was able to kick them away.

Seems like it's a very common thing in Phnom Penh and Cambodia in general.

Poorer people are more desperate, I've only stayed in Bangkok but everyone has there phones out all the time and no fear of getting stolen. Obviously, there are poor people in Thailland too but in Bangkok they are priced out so it doesn't attract the lower class so much except the bar girls in pattaya and nana/soi cowboy.

Obviously, crime exists in Thailand but I've never witnessed or seen any or had bad experience in greater Bangkok when I've been there which is about 1 year in total over the course of many years.

I stayed in Cambodia for about 1 week on 2 occasions and had 2 incidents happen.

Some may say it's bad luck, but only Cambodian expats will disagree that it's more dangerous than Thailand

I've found Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam/Philippines all the same for safety/security.

Sickening touts at the land borders, elsewhere no problems.

I've wandered around falling down drunk late at night in all these places, nobody has every been anything but polite and helpful.

Definitely more dangerous, as any Khmer will tell you.

Main risk is thieves, but their mode of operation is without regard for life and people sometimes get killed in the course of thefts. Being yanked off a motorbike or tuk tuk by a thief trying to grab a camera or handbag or necklace is a common cause of such.

When you go out don't carry more than you can afford to lose and have it tucked securely on your person. Don't use a mobile phone standing on the street etc, duck into a shop or restaurant first. In crowds beware of pickpockets. Women should never carry a handbag. And be very careful around ATMs, try to use ones that are indoor or in banks with guards and be wary of people following you as you leave an ATM.

Etc. 

Thanks for the replies, in my times there, I have never missedanything or ever had anything taken but on 2 different occaisions people were 2 in daylight with a lot of people around.

2 guys on motorbike, stopped and ran into Russian Market and when they were running out, the shop keeper they just robbed ran chasing and grabbed one on the sidewalk and they shot her in the head.

if u have ever been to Russian market, you know it is mobbed with lots of people around and the second was a similar incident.

first time going over there, I was looking on the internet and saw this guys name popped up a few times Mr. Sophann as a guide.

we ended up using him every time we went.

He was Cambodian, used to be a school teacher, he was 55, excellent English and quite the gentleman.

He charged 25 dollars a day to take you anywhere in his Camry.

He made sure no one took advantage of us, got us good discounts at hotels, if we went to the bars at night, he knew which girls were good and which were runners and made sure he didnt take us to any of the dangerous bars and there is quite a few if you dont know where you are going.

Unfortunately the poor guy died of cancer a few years back.......my buddy and I sent him 1000 USD to help.

The 2 daylight shootings in the middle of town heightened my awareness.

I think.......Cambodia is still 30-50 yrs behind Thailand depending on which issue you are referring to.

only been to Phils twice, once to Angeles,.......was not impressed at all and second time to Barrio Baretto which was much nicer, not much to do though.

I just felt it would be very easy to catch a bullet there.......twice was enough.

We lived in Jomtien 9 yrs and Chiang Mai now 4.5, feel very safe here in Chiang Mai.

thanks

On 3/3/2019 at 6:17 PM, hello55060 said:

Poorer people are more desperate,

desperation was the first word I thought of to describe the vib there. Some parts of Cambodia made me feel like I was back in a bad part of Los Angeles. 

that never happens to me in Thailand. 

Within 24 hours of my first trip to Cambodia, got threatened with a gun. Never happened to me in Thailand.

However, didn't stop me returning several times. Love Cambodians and Cambodia. Unfortunately, due to personal circumstances am unable to return. I really miss the place.

I'm with Sheryl above. If you read the FB pages on Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, there are frequent reports of bag snatches, phone thefts, apartment break-ins, motorcycle and bicycle thefts. A good friend and long-time Phnom Penh resident had a gun pulled on her right out on the street near Sihanouk Blvd and had to surrender her bag. 

I lived there for a year. My Viet GF frequently reminded me to pull my backpack onto the floor of tuktuks, don't hold onto the phone while walking, never ever put your phone on the restaurant table or anything of value, keep the back door of the apartment closed and locked. 

The only time I've had anyone try to steal something from me was on a Phnom Penh street. Got an emergency call from the GF and, forgetting the warnings, walked along the street talking with her. Sure enough two guys on a moto swung by and grabbed for the phone. I was holding it pretty tightly and kept it. 

I felt much safer in Thailand and my current home city in Vietnam.  

Was there  (Siam Reap) for two weeks a month or so back, was warned not to put my bag/phone in the bicycle basket, lost nothing. Did overpay a bit for a massage with three ladies.

Two of my pals were both robbed in their hotel (different rooms, different nights) rooms while asleep by a thief with room keys, one lost 15,000bht, the other $200. 

Probably a worse place for women than big guys, I rarely encounter trouble anywhere in the world.

I personally experienced only 1 attempted theft, but I take the various precautions I mentioned previously.

The attempt was actually pretty funny. I was walking down Sihanouk Blvd, broad daylight and as always had no purse with me, money was tucked into my bra and phone in a pocket. I had my dog with me, a chihuahua, on a leash. Went to cross St 57 and picked up the dog as he freaks out in traffic, so I was holding him and the leash strap as I crossed. A guy went by on a moto then did an immediate right turn and came up right at  me,  then did a big double take at the last minute when he saw that the strap he obviously  thought was attached to a handbag was actually attached to a (by then snarling!) dog, and no handbag in sight!

He beat a hasty retreat.

Lots of bag.camera/phone snatches on that corner BTW.

Thanks to all of you that responded, I was surprised but NOT SURPRISED so many concurred its a dangerous place and from reading your responses, I can look back that I visited 6 times and never had a problem or anything taken from us.

Thanks to our very professional Guide......Mr. Sophann, R.I.P. my good friend, you were a good man

I once had a my pants lifted out of my room by a long bamboo pole as I slept. The window was right above my resting head. Pants were found in the morning on the 2nd floor roof. But nothing missing as my wallet was else where in the room.Cambodia has always been more lawless,and why I love it ,but use commonsense.Vietnam,PI never a problem.

I just happen to arrive in Phnom Penh on Monday after two years away. Sure enough, one of the first things I hear from some long-term Aussie acquaintances is to watch yourself at all times. They said crime incidents have gotten worse the last two years. 

100% Less save and driving is 100% more dangerous

I want build a house on our land in Kep without windows as our house in Phuket is.

My Khmer gf say NO, its not safe in Cambodia an you need bars on the windows and doors

????

If you are in Manila, dont go down to the Sea Wall at night........even during the day is very dangerous.

One evening about 6 PM, the girl and I walked down to the sea wall around 6:30 after dinner.........I didnt notice at first........several boys n guys stumbling around with their hand in their shirt........they were all whacked out “whiffing”........inhaling spray paint fumes, fumes from glues, one hand tucked in the shirt........some looked like they were no more than 14 then looked closer and realized we unknowingly walked into bad area.........got out unmolested.

you can keep Phils...........I am happy in Thailand.

it probably depends where you are, it seems pretty save in the touristy areas of phnom penh, I dont have problems. like anywhere, if there are plenty of people around its pretty safe. there are places I wouldnt go but thats the same everywhere. I think the gun issue is a thing of the past. Im more worried about scams then theft

On 3/6/2019 at 5:45 PM, phycokiller said:

it probably depends where you are, it seems pretty save in the touristy areas of phnom penh, I dont have problems. like anywhere, if there are plenty of people around its pretty safe. there are places I wouldnt go but thats the same everywhere. I think the gun issue is a thing of the past. Im more worried about scams then theft

There are a LOT of thefts taking place in crowded areas in broad daylight and also in touristy areas. Neither of those factors helps.

What does help is not having anything visible on you that a passing motorcyclist can grab as in crowded areas that is the usual M.O. Don't take your phone out on the street, don't have phone or wallet where it can be easily grabbed.

On 3/6/2019 at 5:45 PM, phycokiller said:

it probably depends where you are, 

Also depends on who you are, and what you look like.

I look like a murderous brutish gorilla/thug, and I hardly ever suffer 'victim' problems anywhere in the world.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I look like a murderous brutish gorilla/thug, and I hardly ever suffer 'victim' problems anywhere in the world.

So that's not you in the Santa outfit then?

Disappointed.

58 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

A true handsome man.

On 3/3/2019 at 6:59 PM, Sheryl said:

Definitely more dangerous, as any Khmer will tell you.

Main risk is thieves, but their mode of operation is without regard for life and people sometimes get killed in the course of thefts. Being yanked off a motorbike or tuk tuk by a thief trying to grab a camera or handbag or necklace is a common cause of such.

When you go out don't carry more than you can afford to lose and have it tucked securely on your person. Don't use a mobile phone standing on the street etc, duck into a shop or restaurant first. In crowds beware of pickpockets. Women should never carry a handbag. And be very careful around ATMs, try to use ones that are indoor or in banks with guards and be wary of people following you as you leave an ATM.

Etc. 

Very sound advice and definitely not limited to Cambodia or any other SEA country.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

4 hours ago, HLover said:

A true handsome man.

Thats what I thought too........they will take a look at me and move on to an easier target....UNTIL........that night on Siam Country Club Rd when I turned down Soi 27 and 6 boys on 3 motorbikes circled us and thought they would rob the wife and I.

I was only 100 meters from my friends house so hit the gas and got to his driveway..........they chased us down........they were prob only 14-17..........I said what do you want to do now as I walked towards them........I wanted to give a few of them the beating they never had but needed.........as I walked toward them, 3 pulled pistols from waistband..........I was 10-15 meters away, if he had pulled the trigger, he may have hit this big target.......just as they pulled guns, they heard the police were coming, jumped back on bikes and rode out into a durst field.

we may look tough, but if 3 guys have guns and u dont......ya not that tough......at that moment

I have always felt safe in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. I only visit those cities when I'm in Cambo, 

But I am not drunk late at night, the locals I met have been friendly and I never felt unsafe.

I have been renting bikes every time. I remember I used my smart phone in public and on the roads, had to because of GPS navigation, nobody wanted to steal it.  Nobody even looked at my bags.  Some kids begging for money, selling post cards etc, but that was not a problem. 

Maybe just lucky. 

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There are a LOT of thefts taking place in crowded areas in broad daylight and also in touristy areas. Neither of those factors helps.

What does help is not having anything visible on you that a passing motorcyclist can grab as in crowded areas that is the usual M.O. Don't take your phone out on the street, don't have phone or wallet where it can be easily grabbed.

I think drive by snatchings happen in all third world countries, just something you have to be aware of

A friend if mne went to Angeles City.........checked into hotel, got settled, came out standing on the sidewalk deciding if he was going to walk to the left or the right..........motorbike came by and grabbed the chain off his neck, he wasnt out there 30 seconds.

gold chains have a short life expectancy........most places

17 hours ago, balo said:

I have always felt safe in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. I only visit those cities when I'm in Cambo, 

But I am not drunk late at night, the locals I met have been friendly and I never felt unsafe.

I have been renting bikes every time. I remember I used my smart phone in public and on the roads, had to because of GPS navigation, nobody wanted to steal it.  Nobody even looked at my bags.  Some kids begging for money, selling post cards etc, but that was not a problem. 

Maybe just lucky. 

I've had exactly the same experiences.

Archived