Do you consider Cambodia more dangerous in general than Thailand?

Captain 776

On 3/31/2019 at 8:41 PM, Tomtomtom69 said:

In Sihanoukville you now have to contend with possible violence from resident Chinese (or possibly Chinese tourists also) rather than locals. I read about a Brit who was severely beaten by Chinese construction workers there because he sported a pro-Taiwan tattoo and Chinese often get into fights with local Cambodians.

I will try to remember not to get a pro taiwan tattoo

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/2/2019 at 7:13 PM, Captain 776 said:

One time entering Cambodia I gave him 1000 BHAT, HE handed me back my passport and gave me the......you all done look.......I asked about change......he smiled and ......you want change or u want Visa

thats the main scam in cambodia, always have the right change

On 4/2/2019 at 7:13 PM, Captain 776 said:

One time entering Cambodia I gave him 1000 BHAT, HE handed me back my passport and gave me the......you all done look.......I asked about change......he smiled and ......you want change or u want Visa

Scammed for 52 baht ( $1.64)   wow terrible
than next time have the correct $30 for the voa

BTW  it Thai BAHT

I am surprised at the comments here. Never had a problem when in Cambodia. Lovely people.

Compare that to Bangkok. I was just walking down Sukhumvit when a Ladyboy distracts me by grabbing my balls while her / his other hand went for my wallet. Golden rule, never try to run off with the wallet of someone whose nickname is Da Roadrunner.

I felt safe in Da Phils. Vietnam was dangerous.

Yes. Infinitely more dangerous. In all the years I have been in Thailand, never once been robbed or accosted. It happens daily in PP and other parts of Cambodia. I have friends who have lived there, and there are many areas they will not venture into, day or night. Few areas like that in Thailand. Most violence in Thailand is Thai on Thai. Thankfully. Cambodia is probably less dangerous than the PI, but that is largely due to the fighting skills of many PI men. 

15 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

really? 

in my experience. as an example, tuktuk drivers will always say they dont have the change to try and keep a little extra. 

as an aside, I wonder about the city at night quite a lot, feels dodgy but no ones ever tried anything. I dont carry anything on me tho so they wont get anything if they do

13 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I am surprised at the comments here. Never had a problem when in Cambodia. Lovely people.

Compare that to Bangkok. I was just walking down Sukhumvit when a Ladyboy distracts me by grabbing my balls while her / his other hand went for my wallet. Golden rule, never try to run off with the wallet of someone whose nickname is Da Roadrunner.

I felt safe in Da Phils. Vietnam was dangerous.

Vietnam was dangerous :How so? 

On 4/3/2019 at 9:14 PM, phuketrichard said:

BTW  it Thai BAHT

Like moths to a flame you can always count on __________ .......that word ya not supposed to say here.

The point was.......their scamming not the amount........but thanks for your useless answer anyways.

On 4/3/2019 at 9:14 PM, phuketrichard said:

BTW  it Thai BAHT

Like moths to a flame you can always count on __________ .......that word ya not supposed to say here.

The point was.......their scamming not the amount........but thanks for your useless answer anyways.

• 2 months later...

I was in PP 3 or 4 times but about 5 -7 years ago. I never had a single issue but certainly what I am hearing here sounds scary. I guess things have gotten much worse.  I walked around at night, walked alone with no issues   I have also been in the Philippines with no issues. Last year I took one month and never had any issues other then the same issues we have in  Bangkok, cheating taxis.   I thought about taking a trip to Cambodia and bringing my camera, but certainly scared to do that after reading theses reports. In Manila I walked around and my backpack that I placed  my camera in was unzipped, I forgot to zip it and locals pointed this out.  I brought my camera mostly if I was taking a Grab.  I certainly was nervous about carrying around a camera and rarely took pictures in Manila but when I did noissues.  Other places in the Philippines was fine. El Nido I walked around with camera on my neck, same in Bohol not one issue but  I would warn everyone not to do it in Manila   Makiti you may get away with it  in Thailand I feel safe every place but still never leave a bag just hanging on my shoulder, or the same with a camera. 

Archived