making a will for Thai assets but not living in Thailand

Hello,

I own a plot of land in Thailand and am writing a will for assets owned in the UK, I know that i will need to make a separate will in Thailand, but please advise. My daughter is currently with a Thai national living in the UK, and I have Thai/British grandchildren, can you please let me know what is the best way of making sure the land is left to my daughter or grandchildren. My eldest grand child is 15 this year so I believe will not have to wait too long before she would have rights to this land should I die within the next 6 years. My eldest grand child has dual nationality. 

I look forward to hearing from you soon as I am in the process of writing my will here in the UK.

15 hours ago, pollygreen1 said:

..... I know that i will need to make a separate will in Thailand .....

Can you simply write your own will or it must be done by a Thai lawyer?

Does the will need to get notarized/legalized by government department before it can be officially accepted?

16 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Who actually owns the land in Thailand ? Unless you are Thai, I guess it must be your wife ! In which case it should be her making the will, no ?

I missed the part where Polly Green indicated their gender, but I suppose it could still be still be relevent

3 hours ago, post said:

Can you simply write your own will or it must be done by a Thai lawyer?

Does the will need to get notarized/legalized by government department before it can be officially accepted?

I made my wills (2) a couple years ago, one for my Australian assets (property and savings in Australian bank) and one for my Thailand assets (car & savings in Thai bank) The Thailand will I made with a local lawyer (in Korat) it cost a couple thousand baht, and it makes sure my Thai partner will legally get my assets in Thailand only. IMO it's worth going through a lawyer.

Archived