City to live in Thailand, inland, where it is quiet?

Prasat, i would call it a satelite city off the hub of Surin city, dead as heaven on a saturday night but some snug little bars and eatery's, also very close to chong chom boarder and immigration office 20 bht van trip also 20 bht to surin city for a bit of night life.

Yes Prasat would fit the bill nicely.

14 hours ago, Liverpudlian said:

Prasat, i would call it a satelite city off the hub of Surin city, dead as heaven on a saturday night but some snug little bars and eatery's, also very close to chong chom boarder and immigration office 20 bht van trip also 20 bht to surin city for a bit of night life.

If you wish for REAL quiet, may I suggest Savannakhet in Laos, opposite Mukdahan on the Mekhong. There you will find that even the dogs cannot be bothered to bark, nor the roosters to crow. However, you run the risk of terminal boredom - and I mean terminal literally.

None; there is not one place in TH which is really and constantly quiet, not even the most distant village in the sticks. Point is (many Westerners dunno or forgot) that huge noise drives away ghosts and, therefore, is most welcome anywhere

Ubon Ratchathani > Nartsiri Hotel (best value hotel I have ever been in - squeaky clean, all comfort, very good buffet breakfast > 850 THB for double room).  It is situated in quiet area but close to city center.

I also liked very much Nan and Mae Hong Son in North Thailand.  And Nong Bua Lamphu, Loei, Nakhon Phanom and Mukdahan in Isaan. If you stay little bit out of the center, you are by definition in a quiet place.

All of them (including Ubon) not very touristy but nice and interesting.

Prachuab Khirikhan, nice and cosy, at least two comfortable hotels in direct coastal setting, overlooking the fantastic bay, breathtaking. Very few tourists, very few expats, no bars, very affordable prices, good travel connections via the rail line. As a province capital a very relaxed place.

Go to the Windsor Resort in Lopburi. $18 a night with a pretty damn tasty breakfast. The cleanest room I have ever been in anywhere. Its a new place 500 meters away from the center of old town  and the rooms are huge. Its dead at night in Old Lopburi, walk from the watering hole back to this place at 9pm and you would wish you had both dog spray and ghost phasers. 

3 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

If you wish for REAL quiet, may I suggest Savannakhet in Laos, opposite Mukdahan on the Mekhong. There you will find that even the dogs cannot be bothered to bark, nor the roosters to crow. However, you run the risk of terminal boredom - and I mean terminal literally.

I bet he's on his way already. I hope no-one disturbs him on route.

3 hours ago, thurien said:

None; there is not one place in TH which is really and constantly quiet, not even the most distant village in the sticks. Point is (many Westerners dunno or forgot) that huge noise drives away ghosts and, therefore, is most welcome anywhere

I'd agree with that absolutely.

I can remember coming across Thais who lived on their own and went to sleep with the TV on, because a) they hated the quiet, and b) it frightens the ghosts away.

Even in a small village in Udon, there are the continual advertising pickup trucks with speakers selling mobile phones, buying scrap metal, selling an assortment of food.

Right now we have even more, as each bloody candidate standing for election has a truck blaring out their message.

There's the local celebrations - any excuse to playing deafening music for a whole day and night.

Constantly quiet? It doesn't exist here, in my experience.

Dear

is depends what are your liking and style of living. I for myself settled in Phetchbun area, just 10 km to the center to reach Tesco, Big C, Home Pro etc., Lovely lush green area, no air pollution, safe for flooding, easy immigration office. National parks, waterfall and fishing very near by...I love it

Check out outside of Korat, or on the edge of it. Very nice extensive Songthaew system going pretty much all over the place for 9 baht. And some nice villages but stay away from the temples and their loudspeakers.

9 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

I was actually walking in Savannakhet, and was trapped between two aggressive dogs -- one behind and one in front. I was able to scoot across a highway to get away, but it was scary.

In UdonThani now, and it's pretty quiet if you traingulate your stay between central plaza, the university, an annoying live band area (Isaan hard rock must be the most flavorless noise in the universe), and the sportsfield near the train tracks, you're in a happy valley of minimal local-generated noise. I like to stay in one of a handful of hotels for months, and I pay $350-$450 a day for a serviced room -- it's great. The issue even if the area is quiet is if the hotel enforces a low-noise policy among guests. There are no Chinese tourists, so the door slamming is minimal in this area.

I will database these awesome comments. I am a quiet person looking for a reasonably priced hotel or apartment rental where noise is strong discouraged among the residents.

On 3/4/2019 at 8:14 PM, Unify said:

I was actually walking in Savannakhet, and was trapped between two aggressive dogs -- one behind and one in front. I was able to scoot across a highway to get away, but it was scary.

Yep, me too they are different to most Thai house dogs...all bark and no bite here with most house dogs I have seen...but SavanPIT as I call it, they are vicious.... Savana must be the most boring town on the planet...best location in town is the seat on the international bus going back over to Thailand...places drives me to drink to make it bearable whenever I have to go....luckily Beer Lao is low on hangovers unlike Thai slop.

One of the quietest places I have lived in Thailand was a moobaan in the middle of Bangkok. I used to go outside and check now and then just to make sure the zombie apocalypse hadn't stated and that was the reason for the quiet.

On 3/7/2019 at 3:14 AM, ThaiRebound said:

I am a quiet person looking for a reasonably priced hotel or apartment rental where noise is strong discouraged among the residents.

A Hotel or an apartment have common walls and neighbours in close proximity, more chance of getting quiet if you rent a house away from others. You sound like the guy that would rent next to the airport then complain about the planes.

If you want quiet, dont stay in a hotel and dont stay in a city, then you dont need to worry if the noise police are doing a good job.

Chumphon?

Maximizing the quiet requires that you live off of the main road in a detached house.  But even if you are closer to the main road, it still isn't that bad.   And we have road construction as they continue widening the main road from Ranong all the way through Pathio, Chumphon Airport.    3 flights a day now.

If you pick a hotel/multi-unit guesthouse, it should be quiet during 

Obviously you cant avoid noise around certain events some things like Songkran.  But generally speaking it is only during the day anyway.

Archived