Urban or Rural Thailand?

villagefarang

i have never been happy living in a house,

even when the house is in a city.

not sure why, i dont doubt insects is one contributing factor though, cant stand the buggers.

also house reminds me of my childhood, which i dont want to remember

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

We have our main family home here in the west in one of our fastest growing suburbs in our fifth largest city. But it is a large section surrounded by other like properties at half to two acre sections where the city has grown around us. So we have no other homes right against our boundaries. The rating bill is higher but jeez that’s pittance for the life style we have. We have large vegetable gardens and fruit trees right along two boundaries. The main house and upper lawn is secure fenced for the dogs and kids to run and play free. We have an 8 meter high hedge along the street boundary to complete full privacy. It’s paradise living rural in the city and having the best of both worlds. We have an apartment in our biggest city, so the same as a Thai condo, which is for the use of our daughters going through varsity, a weekend change at only a three hour drive away for us and a boarding option for our Thai families uni age children coming here to study. I grew up and worked in the best of the rural world...the full on country environment. Still work there but now in a senior office role but negotiated that at least one day a week I still get out into the hill country. I have the blend for me and our families needs spot on here. The main city apartment is great for a change and to spend time with our daughters but as much as we love our daughters the city / rural family home is where I am most content with life out gardening and pottering around.

Thailand I was struggling for quite a while with decisions for living or sojourns for the four months of our winter we are planning each year in Thailand when I retire in five years. But think I have accepted the answer there now. My wife has a primo property right in the centre of Udon Thani that has new shops and new apartments going up around it. The existing house on the property is old. It’s only a ten minute walk right into the middle of the city which is excellent as I prefer to be walking around for fitness and health. She also has a six rai rural section 40 km to the south east of the city home that elevates up from the edge of a government built dam of twenty years ago. It is also a primo site for building on and developing large gardens and orchards around. I had visions of doing there what I have here in the west on slightly larger scale. There is a problem I see with the rural option. And it’s not age as I have just had a full on health check done scanners and all and live and eat healthy so should be able to do the same as the rest of my paternal line did and live for another thirty odd into the nineties. Problem rather being in Thailand for only four months a year and developing a six rai property to the paradise you want it being able to guarantee an extended family member even living there will look after to what you want. And for a fussy gardening prick like me that’s a big issue and would end bad with extended family. The city option is easier as we will re build a new home and get our neice to rent that for us when we are not there the same as she does for the houses she and her husband buy and westernsie renovate for renting and Airbnb. I struggled with that for the last few years but then accept that the Udon Thani city house option works best for us as we have paradise and what I love most here in Kiwiland to come back to. For Thailand I need to change my perspective back to the things and reasons why I fell in love with the place twenty years ago. And sojourning in a new Thai home for four months okay on a small section with no gardens and orchards and fur balls running around and beautiful daughters just a car drive away does not need to change that. 

Edited by Roadman
PS. Bored right now as I am sitting around being the support person for my wife who has just undergone major surgery for the better.
  • Like 1

As they saying goes, "each to his own", no one is more right or wrong than anyone else, personal choice and preference.

Circumstances and finances also play apart in what choices people may have.

• Like 2

I agree with your wife assertion but maybe not the family part.  As much as I love my home, I somehow doubt I could remain here without my loving wife and her companionship.  As for family, we keep our interaction with what is left of her family to a minimum and they really don’t add anything to the quality of our lives.

A single farang male is always going to raise eyebrows and questions in polite society and I imagine even more so in a rural environment.  I dealt with that issue for twenty years in Bangkok and then when I did get married people had to rethink their beliefs about me.  The fact we eloped and didn’t do the big wedding confounded them as much as my being single for so long had.????

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Theory said:

Living in a rural house is great and makes some wishes come true, but it’s not always possible for everyone to make it happen due to financial shortage or lack of opportunity. 

Perhaps someday. 

Till that day I cross fingers.

Your post seems a bit contradictory. Could you explain in more detail?
Surely, living in the countryside, off the tourist beaten track and away from the big cities, is much more economical and cheaper.

I'm Australian and have been considering moving to Thailand in my retirement for a long time. I have an emotional attachment to the country because I first visited Thailand in 1962 and spent 10 months in Bangkok, teaching English both privately and in a Commercial College. I was very impressed by the friendliness and apparent happiness of the locals, including those who were very poor, financially.

During the past 12 years or so, I've visited Thailand as a tourist on numerous occasions because of these past emotional attachments, and have considered locations such as Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Son as possibly ideal for a low-cost retirement where I could learn the Thai language and reduce the effects of dementia which inevitably occurs as one gets older if one doesn't exercise one's mind.

Off-the-beaten-track locations appeal to me because the mass of Chinese tourism in popular locations is totally off-putting. I also have a natural love of nature. Congested cities are often just horrible.

For me, there are only two major obstacles to my retirement in Thailand. My lack of a private health insurance cover, and the negative health impacts of the regular pollution that occurs during certain months of every year in most places in Thailand. I value my health very much. In Australia, I rarely visit a doctor because I'm relatively healthy for my age. When I do, perhaps to get an eye test which is required every year after the age of 75 in order to drive a car, or because I have an itchy ear, or some other trivial condition, I never have to pay anything for the consultation. I just pay a discounted price for any prescribed medication.

Of course, if I were to develop a serious medical condition whilst retired in Thailand, I could most probably travel back to Australia and receive free medical attention, provided I was in a sufficiently fit condition to travel. But I might not be fit to travel, and the general, long-term effect of the air pollution might contribute to illness and shorten my life. That's what puts me off and is causing great indecision. The 800,000 baht deposit is not an issue.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

A single farang male is always going to raise eyebrows and questions in polite society and I imagine even more so in a rural environment.

please enlighten me why and also define "polite society".

23 minutes ago, Naam said:

please enlighten me why and also define "polite society".

On a very basic level the idea of polite society refers to people who are polite, respectful and adhere more closely to the ideal norms of a given society, as opposed to those more colorful individuals who inhabit the fringes of society and forsake the norms.  You can get away with a lot more in the red light districts, for example.

My being single for twenty years in Bangkok seemed to bother some people and caused them to ask endless questions.  I was quite good at keeping my nightlife and daytime life separate which led people to make erroneous assumptions which I was happy enough to leave unchallenged because explaining would have been too cumbersome.

Thais have a tendency to be quite traditional and if you are attractive and single they feel compelled to come up with an explanation for what they see as abnormal behavior.  Some of those possible explanations are not particularly flattering.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

Thais have a tendency to be quite traditional and if you are attractive and single they feel compelled to come up with an explanation for what they see as abnormal behavior.  Some of those possible explanations are not particularly flattering.

thanks for the explanation. i'm not exposed to Thai polite society which surely would comment my abnormal life style unflattering.

15 minutes ago, Naam said:

thanks for the explanation. i'm not exposed to Thai polite society which surely would comment my abnormal life style unflattering.

Indeed most foreigners are only exposed to a very small segment of Thai society who make their living from foreigners. 

I just assumed you are wealthy and married to a non-Thai which would not be seen as abnormal. ????

Edited by villagefarang

43 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

My being single for twenty years in Bangkok seemed to bother some people and caused them to ask endless questions.

I was single for 3 years in Singapore and 3 in Bangkok, aged from 20 - 26, which really seemed to irritate the wives of work colleagues and acquaintances, but not in the way you're inferring (though some may have been doing so behind my back).  I think married women see an eligible single guy as a cross between an affront to womanhood and a challenge, and were continually inviting me to their houses and out to restaurants, where they happened to bring along single female friends and relatives, and pushed, in none too subtle ways at times, for a beautiful relationship to start.  I must confess that it wasn't entirely unwelcome on my side, and I got to meet a lot of girls that I wouldn't have otherwise, which is why I advise young guys starting in a new place to make friends with married male co-workers, knowing that as soon as their wives find out about him the matchmaking will start.  (And yes, I did first meet my wife through Thai friends, but it was more through she being part of a group who we would join after work regularly, than any concerted effort on anyone else's part).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ballpoint said:

I've pretty much put forward all my views in the country living thread.  I'm currently spending my last month as an employed expat in Bangkok, and, (un)like the UK, will be making my own Brexit (Ballpoint's Retirement Exit) on March 29th.  And no, there will be no extension or second referendum.  I'm leaving.  We have two condos in Bangkok, bought using my housing allowance over the years - we have a long term tenant in one and we live in the other when I'm working.  We will be keeping both of them, and not renting out the one currently lived in, as we will still be passing through Bangkok for trips abroad, and will spend a week or so there every so often.  Although I am greatly looking forward to going back to spending most of my time in the country, I don't see the point in throwing the baby out with the bath water by cutting all ties with the big city.  Having said that, however, there are far fewer reasons to spend time there shopping and lifestyle wise than there were around 10 years ago, as there is very little Western food that I can't either buy directly at one of the local Tops / Big C / Tesco supermarkets, or a bit further away in the Mall in Korat; my Kindle negates the need to buy up a stack of books in Bangkok anymore (and provides far, far more options.  Similarly, online music downloading does the same for what used to be done with CDs); I see no difference in the speed of the fibre optic internet connection in the village with that in my Bangkok condo, so I am able to peruse YouTube, get my mind sucked out on ThaiVisa, read the papers from my home country, and purchase online, from the comfort of my own upcountry chair, anything I particularly want, but can't get in Thailand - which hasn't been a whole lot lately.  And I got totally bored of the Bangkok bar scene many years ago.  Give me a night in, or trip to a restaurant, with my family, or a visit to a friends house any day.  Life is what you make of it, and it seems to me that there is far more material to do that in the country.

Thank you very much. You touched on an issue that had not crossed my mind for when I retire and spend most of my retirement in the sticks - sourcing reading material as I am an avid reader. Of course Kindle is the answer. Thanks again.  

• Like 2