Overnight land travel from Hat Yai to Bangkok

Kf6vci

It would have to be a 6 pm train or a bus departing at 6 pm or later. (Too much luggage to consider flying)????.

Can you recommend a VIP bus? CHAN TOUR is pretty good in Udon or Chiang Mai.

How are the 3 late trains? 2nd class sleeper...

Do buses stop near one of the airports, DMK or BKK?

If I take a bus, I would want to get a comfortable seat ????

+1

If you can't fly, then take the train. The journey time is longer, but it doesn't really seem so, because you can get some sleep, and you've the option to stretch your legs when you want. The VIP bus trip seems interminable, I've only ever done the bus once, never again. Add to that the dangers of travelling on Thai roads, the train is the much safer option. As said above, book your ticket in advance - the train is popular. Of the three overnight trains pick the sleeper options, I think the earlier one is quicker but seating only, the two later trains have sleeping compartments. Note that it's cheaper to go and book your ticket at the station than online.

The train is by far the better option, as most of them leave late afternoon and get you into Hat Yai bright and early of the following morning.

Last I heard they had done away with the option to buy alcohol on the train (a knee-jerk reaction to a brutal rape), so if you enjoy watching the countryside roll by with a drink in your hand you might have to pull a ninja byob.

The sleeper train, when I use to do the visa run, it  was the one coming up from Malasia, as has been said better than a bus, leaves early evening, is the top bunk still cheaper than a bottom one ,only drawback is that it is lights out at 8 pm, but if the restaurant car sells alcohol again  makes light of the journey .

I have done the journey by bus 2-3 times 12 hours, not recommended,I do not sleep on a bus, if you do go by bus get your ticket from the bus station, not the travel agent next door ,the travel agent buys the ticket from the bus station  and sells it on , and it is the same bus .

The  time after  I was going to buy my ticket from the bus station I had to walk past the travel agent, they said where are you going I said Bangkok ,I am buying my ticket from the bus station ,they said  sold out bus full, buy it here ect, I had no trouble buying the ticket from the bus station .

Unless it has changed buses get in at Sie- Die -Mie, the Southern bus terminal to the south of Bangkok, then you have to travel across Bangkok, a look at the BMTA website they are no direct airport link buses from the Southen bus terminal.

Some southern buses do go into Mor Chit.

Train is the only sane man’s option. Book well in advance (2 weeks usually ok).... try for lower bunk (50 baht or something more expensive but worth it cos they’re wider and more convenient).... DON’T go for the fan only (no air-con) carriages (once you’ve drawn the curtains you don’t have a fan anymore, it’s hellish) bring your own food cos the restaurant car food is lousy and 2-3 times the normal price.... there’s no boozing allowed. Book in the train station, avoid touts and agencies 

My wife comes from KK, so we have had lots of experience on the Udon route with Chan Tour and Nakhon Air .. there is no comparable service on the southern routes, it’s a shocking difference. I think you can even book Chan tour online these days.

To get a bus going south, just turn up at the southern bus station, early, and wait for the first available bus, if you are unlucky then it can work out roughly the same price as a flight, then you need to add on the cost of a taxi to Sai Dtai Mai, I. Guessing is around 350-400b.

When we moved to HY from BKK, 8 years back, we couldn’t get a train, so we used a bus, it was the most horrid experience ever and I have never done it again. Prior to that I have done it numerous times when I was younger and traveling Asia, it doesn’t get any better.

I don’t know your situation, you say you have so much luggage to fly - we boxed or wrapped a load of stuff, and took a taxi to the parcel service at Hua Lomphong Station, it gets sent overnight and we picked it up the following morning from HY station, which is pretty much in the center of town.

The south bound trains have a habit of breaking down or some issue with the track, a mate came to see me once, the train is 12 or 13 hours, his was about 15 hours, from what I recall.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• 1 month later...

I took that route, starting from Mo Chit station to hat yai, big bus, usb charger in seat.. night trip w little traffic. Its a longish ride 10 to 12 hrs, i think, but you can zone into your phone for a few hrs at a time, watch youtube a bit and, boom, you're there.. 500-600btish

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Archived