Ten injured as Krabi-bound bus flips

webfact

Ten injured as Krabi-bound bus flips

By Piyarat Nildee 
The Nation

2a08be9924ec743bb0d938fb7a629c78.jpeg

Photo courtesy of Pu Dum News

Ten people were injured early Sunday morning, four critically, when the driver of their Bangkok-Krabi bus lost control and the vehicle rolled into a ditch on the Phetchakasem Highway in Prachuap Khiri Khan.

a38e753e5b76c9b8d697cf3c3a4fe56b.jpg

Photo courtesy of Pu Dum News

The 2am crash took place at the Km 371-372 marker in Thong Chai, Bang Saphan district.

The injured were taken to two nearby hospitals. 

Police determined that the bus, carrying 30 passengers to Krabi, was travelling at high speed at the time of the accident.

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-04

Best wishes to the injured. Note the name of the bus company "LIGNITE TOUR" - the driver must have been "burning' it along the road! 

Lignite is a crude type of coal which is burnt in Mae Mo Power Station, near Lampang, to produce electricity.

Sit on lower level (shorter fall, less kinetic energy) and of course always wear your seat belt so tight it's stimulating! 

These reports never detail if the injured or dead were wearing seat belts. I'd wage they weren't. 

As for the occasional truck broad-siding the bus..... Good luck. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 10:08 PM, RocketDog said:

Sit on lower level (shorter fall, less kinetic energy) and of course always wear your seat belt so tight it's stimulating! 

These reports never detail if the injured or dead were wearing seat belts. I'd wage they weren't. 

Did the bus have seat belts?

And if so, how many were working and not broken?

On 3/15/2019 at 5:50 PM, JimmyJ said:

Did the bus have seat belts?

And if so, how many were working and not broken?

Good point. In my limited experience the VIP busses always have seat belts. Since very few people use them it's a good guess that most of them work fine if the mechanism isn't damaged from opening beer bottles, or tied in knots for some other obscure purpose. 

Actually I've found these busses to be pretty well run and alcohol prohibition is pretty strictly enforced. 

The private bus I take to Swampy is clean and orderly. Usually the attendant goes down the aisle before starting reminding and/or requiring passengers to use the belts. 

That said, consistency is not a virtue here. 

5 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Good point. In my limited experience the VIP busses always have seat belts. Since very few people use them it's a good guess that most of them work fine if the mechanism isn't damaged from opening beer bottles, or tied in knots for some other obscure purpose. 

I use the VIP bus a lot, I would guesstimate about 50% of the seat belts I encounter are broken.

Just now, BritManToo said:

I use the VIP bus a lot, I would guesstimate about 50% of the seat belts I encounter are broken.

Pretty easy for me to believe. Though I avoid the busses and travel by car when possible and feasible the truth is that NO mode of transportation is safe or reliable here. 

But you've given me a new cause to fight for. If my next seat doesn't have a working belt I will demand a new seat. Thus may cause an issue and draw ire from other customers and the operators but they will know they are risking problems with the gov when I tell them I am lodging a complaint and pull out my phone. They know that their countrymen will acquiesce but those pesky farang have a habit of making trouble.

My Thai GF is stubborn as well and she won't take their guff regarding safety. She's a very strong proponent of safety and one of the best and safest drivers I've ever seen. 

14 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

But you've given me a new cause to fight for. If my next seat doesn't have a working belt I will demand a new seat. Thus may cause an issue and draw ire from other customers and the operators but they will know they are risking problems with the gov when I tell them I am lodging a complaint and pull out my phone. They know that their countrymen will acquiesce but those pesky farang have a habit of making trouble.

This. ????

I applaud your attitude and stand with you.

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Bus is usually full, where you gonna get a new seat?

Strive to arrive early and get seated early. 

Force the issue.

Make some noise.

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Bus is usually full, where you gonna get a new seat?

First, I always arrive early. Nothing runs on a timetable here. In fact if you read the fine print on tickets and schedules it always says: 'Mai pen rai'. 

Second, of course you are right, but with my Thai GF beside me we will leave the bus with names of drivers and attendants and immediately lodge a complaint with the police, LTO, and bus company, in triplicate. As a former business owner I know how make myself a real pain in the a**. Gratuitous perhaps but the right thing to do, at least for me. 

12 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

First, I always arrive early. Nothing runs on a timetable here. In fact if you read the fine print on tickets and schedules it always says: 'Mai pen rai'. 

Second, of course you are right, but with my Thai GF beside me we will leave the bus with names of drivers and attendants and immediately lodge a complaint with the police, LTO, and bus company, in triplicate. As a former business owner I know how make myself a real pain in the a**. Gratuitous perhaps but the right thing to do, at least for me. 

Sure sound like a fun guy 

17 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Tickets have seat numbers, doesn't matter how early you arrive.

It's usually that seat, or get off.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Tickets have seat numbers, doesn't matter how early you arrive.

It's usually that seat, or get off.

Yup. While filming everything and clearly promising to upload to as many social medias and authorities one can think of.

Or, just passively herd along like mindless sheep and later possibly eat bus ceiling. We live in a world of personal choices.

1 minute ago, Happystance said:

Or, just passively herd along like mindless sheep and later possibly eat bus ceiling. We live in a world of personal choices.

I just want to get where I'm going, my personal choice is if I have to take a risk, I will.

On 3/4/2019 at 5:39 AM, webfact said:

Police determined that the bus, carrying 30 passengers to Krabi, was travelling at high speed at the time of the accident.

They're doing that since 25 years...what else is new'?

The police never does anything to fine those offending busdrivers, what else is new?

Archived