Jump to content

Big Joke: E-cigarettes are bad for you and they are illegal


webfact

Recommended Posts

Big Joke: E-cigarettes are bad for you and they are illegal

 

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

 

Immigration chief Lt-Gen Surachate Hakparn has responded forcefully to the use of e-cigarettes in Thailand.

 

Calls to go easy have been ignored and the top cop known as Big Joke has clamped down with a stark message for sellers and users instead.

 

He told the media at a Ram Inthra market after a series of busts last night:

 

"Tell the people that e-cigarettes are illegal. And smoking them is bad for your health".

 

His short, sharp message was accompanied by giving information about where to find out more. He advised the public to go to his Facebook page, contact the tech police or dial 1155.

 

Lt-Gen Surachate was speaking after arresting 23 people in raids on 30 shops across the capital last night. 

 

Nineteen Thais and two each from Myanmar and Laos were nabbed. 

 

A million baht's worth of vaping fluid and equipment was seized. 

 

Those arrested face up to eight charges including selling the merchandise and illegal working. 

 

The raids came after Maris Karanyawat from the End Cigarette Smoking Thailand Group asked for clarification about the police approach following allegations that a French woman in Phuket was caught up in bribery allegations. 

 

Thaivisa notes that the message seems to be clear - Thailand is not going easy on e-cigarettes. 

 

And the most high profile cop in the land is putting his weight behind the enforcement of the law. 

 

Source: Thai Rath

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-04
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be good if he also provided some medical study to back his assertion it was bad for you.

 

But got to love the irony , after the fiasco he raids a few dozen shops to prove the point .

 

what is more ironic is that he is the boss of immigration and last time I checked immigration had nothing to do with raiding shops for illegal products 

 

one might start to think BJ is the boss of all police as he is involved in all sectors of it from immigration to road blocks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SammyT said:

So are normal smokes, so why are they still legal?

 

Tobacco is much worse than E-cigarettes and should be banned as well but as with most countries around the world it brings in a heap of money in taxes and lives seem to matter less here than elsewhere .

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I  have iterated in other threads, they are only illegal until the Thai Tobacco Monopoly cronies have worked out all the tax and supply angles, then they will be the same as normal ciggies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BestB said:

Would be good if he also provided some medical study to back his assertion it was bad for you.

 

But got to love the irony , after the fiasco he raids a few dozen shops to prove the point .

 

what is more ironic is that he is the boss of immigration and last time I checked immigration had nothing to do with raiding shops for illegal products 

 

one might start to think BJ is the boss of all police as he is involved in all sectors of it from immigration to road blocks 

The vaping fluid is imported into the country so it comes under immigration

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info BJ, but I am pretty sure there has been no law passed to say having an e - cig is illegal. It is a complete grey area. Also, I didn't realise he was involved in medical research now too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, a977 said:

The vaping fluid is imported into the country so it comes under immigration

Unless products became people it still remains under customs and not immigration 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Thanks for the info BJ, but I am pretty sure there has been no law passed to say having an e - cig is illegal. It is a complete grey area. Also, I didn't realise he was involved in medical research now too. 

go test your theory. let us know what happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

go test your theory. let us know what happens.

People have been posting on here and other places about being stopped by the police, but legally they can't fine you. Someone posted recently. 

 

However, the foreign woman in Phuket last week would seem to suggest otherwise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BobbyL said:

People have been posting on here and other places about being stopped by the police, but legally they can't fine you. Someone posted recently. 

 

However, the foreign woman in Phuket last week would seem to suggest otherwise. 

it is illegal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

it is illegal. 

Well, unless that has changed it contradicts what others have said very recently. I have read on here and heard from someone else they were stopped by the police with one, the police wanted a bribe or they threaten to take you to the station. However, there isn't then actually anything they can do at the station as there is no law to say having an e - cig is a crime. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Well, unless that has changed it contradicts what others have said very recently. I have read on here and heard from someone else they were stopped by the police with one, the police wanted a bribe or they threaten to take you to the station. However, there isn't then actually anything they can do at the station as there is no law to say having an e - cig is a crime. 

 

 

 

will you visit your friends in prison after you tell them it not not illegal?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...