Border officials ‘charging too much’

geovalin

Officials at the Poipet International Border Checkpoint in Banteay Meanchey province have drawn widespread criticism for allegedly charging exorbitant customs fees from people, traders and porters who travel or transport goods across the Thai border.

Som Rein, a porter at the border checkpoint, told The Post on Sunday that officials had charged higher customs fees than legally required. Failing to comply, he claimed, would result in the goods getting stuck.

“They charge us too much and we can’t afford it. I have a few children in my care; I can hardly make ends meet. Both Cambodian and Thai customs officials charge us too much. Sometimes I just let the goods get stuck there,” he said.

read more https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/border-officials-charging-too-much

Customs officials feeding at the trough. They should remember the axiom, pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. Lots of complaints about the Poipet border crossing. We will see how serious the anti-corruption fight is going to be. My thought is the corruption crackdown will ease after the election and everything will go back to normal with the "increased fees" now the new standard.

Archived