Can i use other Immigration offices?

For a 30-day tourist extension, one only need check into a hotel in another area to qualify for applying in that jurisdiction.  For longer extensions, one generally needs to "officially move" to the new jurisdiction by filing a TM-28 and TM-30 before being able to use the other office.

But there are cases of overlap - Phuket-Town vs the other Phuket office comes to mind from some posts.  I recall someone reporting that they used the Chonburi office vs Jomtien - but do not recall their circumstances.  It might be worth a long-shot to try there - and let us know the response, as it could help others with similar "Jomtien" issues, if a viable option to avoid Jomtien's corruption problem for some services (non-o stamps and married to a Thai extensions).

Edited by JackThompson

For a 30-day tourist extension, one only need check into a hotel in another area to qualify for applying in that jurisdiction.  For longer extensions, one generally needs to "officially move" to the new jurisdiction by filing a TM-28 and TM-30 before being able to use the other office.

But there are cases of overlap - Phuket-Town vs the other Phuket office comes to mind from some posts.  I recall someone reporting that they used the Chonburi office vs Jomtien - but do not recall their circumstances.  It might be worth a long-shot to try there - and let us know the response, as it could help others with similar "Jomtien" issues, if a viable option to avoid Jomtien's corruption problem for some services (non-o stamps and married to a Thai extensions).

Yes it could be a plan B if say Jomtien are difficult with a retirement 1 year extension, try Si Racha which i hear is better. Plan A for me is Jomtien first later this year.

Jomtien must be a stressful office to work in so probably puts them in a bad mood as soon as they walk in

1 hour ago, BertM said:

Last time I renewed in Jomtien, it was quick & easy. After about a 15 min wait, I turned in my 1-yr extension paperwork. They asked me to pick up the next day so they could call and verify my new address since I had moved. The next day, no ticket was needed and no wait, just walked up to desk and picked up my passport... It was 1,900 THB, no corruption or issues that I experienced.

Yes, that is typical for how it has been for some years for retirement there.  It is marriage and non-o stamps that have been a PITA.  Jomtien have been rolling in dough handling thousands of agent-applicants/yr from people living all over the country - making no problem for those doing honest applications.  The only open question is how the new rules might affect things. 

Edited by JackThompson

18 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Yes, that is typical for how it has been for some years for retirement there.  It is marriage and non-o stamps that have been a PITA.  Jomtien have been rolling in dough handling thousands of agent-applicants/yr from people living all over the country - making no problem for those doing honest applications.  The only open question is how the new rules might affect things. 

Ditto with Rayong (Maptaput) - fine for retirement but a PITA for marriage. Doubt, therefore, whether it would be worth the OP's while upping sticks and moving to somewhere in their catchment area like Ban Chang.

I live in Chonburi but have always done my annual extensions at Jomtien (I first went to Si Racha 15 years ago and they told me, no can do, I must go to Jomtien). However when I went to Jomtien to do my annual extension last month they looked at my address and said I lived in the area covered by the Si Racha Immigration Office so must go there. I pointed out that I'd been going to Jomtien for fifteen years but was told 'new rules, go to Si Racha'.

A couple of people sitting nearby looked a little surprised/confused at this but nothing was said. The office was packed to overflowing so not sure if it was new rules, just an excuse to reduce their queue by one or possibly the start of tightening up on scams, etc. Anyway, by contrast Si Racha was really quiet with no queues. In and out in less than half hour with the retirement extension already stamped in my passport. (At Jomtien I've usually had to return the following day to collect my passport) 

• Like 1

I live in Chonburi but have always done my annual extensions at Jomtien (I first went to Si Racha 15 years ago and they told me, no can do, I must go to Jomtien). However when I went to Jomtien to do my annual extension last month they looked at my address and said I lived in the area covered by the Si Racha Immigration Office so must go there. I pointed out that I'd been going to Jomtien for fifteen years but was told 'new rules, go to Si Racha'.

A couple of people sitting nearby looked a little surprised/confused at this but nothing was said. The office was packed to overflowing so not sure if it was new rules, just an excuse to reduce their queue by one or possibly the start of tightening up on scams, etc. Anyway, by contrast Si Racha was really quiet with no queues. In and out in less than half hour with the retirement extension already stamped in my passport. (At Jomtien I've usually had to return the following day to collect my passport) 
Does the 90 day reporting need to be in the same office you get the retirement extension?

Just now, scubascuba3 said:
4 hours ago, sumrit said:

Does the 90 day reporting need to be in the same office you get the retirement extension?

Yes, or do it online.

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

No, it doesn't have to be the same office. At least, when I was doing my extensions at Jomtien I always did my 90 reports at Si Racha and that continued for fifteen years. And of course, both Jomtien and Si Racha offices are under the umbrella of Chonburi Immigration.

Also, I always got my re-entry permits and did my TM30's at Si Racha. As I said, I only did my extensions at Jomtien because that's what I'd been told to do by an IO at Si Racha some fifteen years ago. 

That's why I wouldn't be surprised if the current 'NEW RULES' on which office we need to go to were part of a 'clean up' to monitor the different scams that have been running for a long time.

Edited by sumrit

42 minutes ago, sumrit said:

That's why I wouldn't be surprised if the current 'NEW RULES' on which office we need to go to were part of a 'clean up' to monitor the different scams that have been running for a long time.

Or, the offices agreed to quit screwing each other out of their quota of agent-money, by taking their agent-app clientele via competitive pricing (Jomtien's agents being some of the cheapest in Thailand).  Some agreement on a "common price" for agent-applications for all the big offices could also be part of the new arrangement. 

If the ultimate goal is to lower the long-stay expat-population, and those pushing that agenda want the IOs to cooperate, there would need to be a sweetener offered, so the IOs would not reduce their "on the side" income - ideally, increase it.  Pushing more of the remaining expats to agents, and at a higher fee per agent-application, would accomplish that goal.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Or, the offices agreed to quit screwing each other out of their quota of agent-money, by taking their agent-app clientele via competitive pricing (Jomtien's agents being some of the cheapest in Thailand).  Some agreement on a "common price" for agent-applications for all the big offices could also be part of the new arrangement. 

You appear to be trying to legitimize or claim Immigration wants to coordinate a system which is illegal and corrupt. (Based on bribery). I am more inclined to go along with their act of ignorance. 

You appear to be trying to legitimize or claim Immigration wants to coordinate a system which is illegal and corrupt. (Based on bribery). I am more inclined to go along with their act of ignorance. 
But if they have commitments for loans and mortgages and perhaps women on the side they will need to keep the money flowing. Are they paid well being a govt employee? a friend was telling me the other day his Immigration neighbour has a Merc and gets a new one every year

I find Jomtien immigration very good for the retirement extension and excellent for the 90 day report. I dont know why, if you qualify to do there, that anyone would wish to do anywhere else. Marriage extension there though is a different issue.

Edited by jimn

6 minutes ago, jimn said:

I find Jomtien immigration very good for the retirement extension and excellent for the 90 day report.

Also straightforward to get a Re-Entry Permit. Yes I hear Marriage Extensions and converting to a Non-Imm-O are less straightforward. I also got a bit of a run around trying to get a residence certificate last time. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BertM said:

Last time I renewed in Jomtien, it was quick & easy. After about a 15 min wait, I turned in my 1-yr extension paperwork. They asked me to pick up the next day so they could call and verify my new address since I had moved. The next day, no ticket was needed and no wait, just walked up to desk and picked up my passport... It was 1,900 THB, no corruption or issues that I experienced.

Yes, I've done more than ten annual extensions at Jomtien. Always quick, friendly, stress-free experience. I'm always impressed how they remain polite and laid back considering what they have to deal with day after day.

• Like 1

I live in Sri Racha. I gave up with the Sri Racha office as they acted in a hostile manner and on more than one occasion they refused my application on seemingly small details. On both occasions I then immediately went to Jomtien and was successful. The reason you can use either is because they are both offices of Chonburi Immigration.

I live in Sri Racha. I gave up with the Sri Racha office as they acted in a hostile manner and on more than one occasion they refused my application on seemingly small details. On both occasions I then immediately went to Jomtien and was successful. The reason you can use either is because they are both offices of Chonburi Immigration.
If say Jomtien are playing silly buggers at least someone may have a choice whether to go to Si Racha or see if there is an agency option
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Claim, yes - definitely not legitimize (that would be impossible, even if I were so inclined).  Ignorant, sometimes I suppose - but playing-dumb about the "real rules" when making up "fake rules" could be useful, depending on their goal.

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

But if they have commitments for loans and mortgages and perhaps women on the side they will need to keep the money flowing. Are they paid well being a govt employee? a friend was telling me the other day his Immigration neighbour has a Merc and gets a new one every year

Definitely beyond a "govt salary" income.  That's why I think anyone who tried to stop it would get a "lead or gold" offer - which would explain how the new rules were written (and more importantly, how they were not written).

9 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes, I've done more than ten annual extensions at Jomtien. Always quick, friendly, stress-free experience. I'm always impressed how they remain polite and laid back considering what they have to deal with day after day.

When you consider the brown-envelope volume to the retirement-desk at that office, it is not hard to understand why they are happy to be there, and don't mind processing a pile of "legit" honest/in-person apps, to keep up appearances and all.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Reading this thread, we can see people as far as Chonburi or Sattahip depending of Pattaya/Jomtien Immigration Office :mellow:

As this office is also named "Chonburi Immigration", does this mean that anyone living somewhere in the big Chonburi Province can depend on Jomtien Immigration ? :ermm:

PS: I think about moving from Pattaya, but not too far, and still depending of the friendly Jomtien Immigration would be great :thumbsup:

chonburi.JPG

Edited by Pattaya46

50 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Reading this thread, we can see people as far as Chonburi or Sattahip depending of Pattaya/Jomtien Immigration Office :mellow:

As this office is also named "Chonburi Immigration", does this mean that anyone living somewhere in the big Chonburi Province can depend on Jomtien Immigration ?

If are still living with these districts you can use Jomtien, Pattaya District, Banglamung District and Sattahip District.

If not you would have to use the office Sriracha.

• Like 1

Just an observation about the ChonBuri (Jomtien) Immigration Office's "difficult" officers that the original poster noted.  I discovered that they can actually be very helpful and friendly depending on what time of the day you visit. 

Seriously, I had one of the worst encounters with an Imm officer when I went in there first thing in the morning (like many suggest you do).  It stands to reason that the place will be jam-packed and an absolute madhouse at that time of day, and very few people are at their best at that time of day.  It's only to be expected that an Imm officer is going to be in a pretty bad mood under those circumstances.  

I came back later that same day around 2pm, and the place was significantly less crowded and and not nearly so hectic.  I got to see an Imm officer after only waiting a few minutes and she was pleasant, smiling, and took time to let me talk and patiently answered my questions. 

I think that by 2pm, the officers have had a nice lunch break and feel refreshed.  Maybe there's a rush of Farangs that come in right after lunch but by by 2pm things seem to noticeably slow down.  I've been in there a few times since I first noticed this and each time it was the same once it got to me around 2pm or so.

So my advice; even though the cardinal rule seems to be to avoid Monday and Friday, it's really not the day of the week that matters as much as the time of day that you visit.  I bet the same holds true for any Imm office, and one is not necessarily any worse or better than another. 

Edited by WaveHunter

On 3/4/2019 at 11:13 AM, Cloggie said:

No, you have to deal with the Immigration Office in your area, where you are 'registered'.

Only 90 days can do in other offices if you are not near your office when it expires.

Are you sure about this? Wouldn't you have to be registered at an address within that province to do a 90 day in person? I spend a lot of time in our village in Isaan but I make sure that I'm back in my registered address in Jomtien whem my 90 days are up.

27 minutes ago, sniggie said:

Are you sure about this?

He is certainly  is not correct.

It can only be done at the office where you got your extension or living if on a visa that allows you to stay more than 90 days.

• Like 1