How much oversize will they allow you on Airasia cabin baggage?

HamonRye

Just want to be prepared.

Flying tonight, and girlfriend has just come back with a wheelie suitcase that she's just bought with dimensions ;

59 x 40 x 17

Airasia state the size should be no bigger than ;

Luggage: 56 cm X 36 cm X 23 cm (length x width x height)

Will they likely charge me for this (if so how much?)

Or should we be ok?

Thanks alot for any help.

They are very struct. Will likely to require her to check it in, and charge accordingly.

better go online and modify your reservation to include a check in bag as that may be cheaper than what they will charge you at the airport.

They do measure bags that look at all questionable in terms of size. they have a metal frame and the bag has to fit within it.

if you decide to ignore this advice and try to carry it on anyhow, be sure to leave ample time as you may  get caught after check in and may be sent all the way back to check the bag in.

13 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Nobody can give you a specific answer, be aware that AA can be very pedantic about:

- Luggage dimensions

- Total number of items

- Weight

It says quite clearly on the booking form, and at the check-in desk...ONE ITEM, 7 KG. 56 x 36 x 23

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

better go online and modify your reservation to include a check in bag as that may be cheaper than what they will charge you at the airport.

I just paid Bht 300 for 15kg. P'lok to D Mueng.

14 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Nobody can give you a specific answer, be aware that AA can be very pedantic about:

- Luggage dimensions

- Total number of items

- Weight

Yes, AirAsia can give you a specific answer....56 x 36 x 23.

Just now, scorecard said:

They do seem to allow 2 small cabin bags, total no more than 7 Kg.

They do seem to allow bigger, heavier bags as well, but according to their rules should not. Maybe depends on how full the flight is.

1 hour ago, HamonRye said:

girlfriend has just come back with a wheelie suitcase that she's just bought with dimensions ;

59 x 40 x 17

1 hour ago, HamonRye said:

Will they likely charge me for this

Why would they charge you?

8 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

They do seem to allow bigger, heavier bags as well, but according to their rules should not. Maybe depends on how full the flight is.

I think mainly it varies with the airport.

Some will not weigh carry on unless they see it looking overly heavy. Some weigh all.

Some make all bags go into the metal frame thingy to check dimensions, some do that only if the bag looks overlarge. 

Etc. They vary in their zealousness. Also somewhat luck of the draw, i.e. if the official who does this is otherwise distracted you might get by whereas otherwise would not.

In the Phnom Penh airport they are very, very zealous (only for those with an Air Asia boarding pass) and measure all with no flexibility if it is at all overlarge, even if it is a soft bag you can jam into the measuring frame.

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I think mainly it varies with the airport.

Some will not weigh carry on unless they see it looking overly heavy. Some weigh all.

Some make all bags go into the metal frame thingy to check dimensions, some do that only if the bag looks overlarge. 

Etc. They vary in their zealousness. Also somewhat luck of the draw, i.e. if the official who does this is otherwise distracted you might get by whereas otherwise would not.

In the Phnom Penh airport they are very, very zealous (only for those with an Air Asia boarding pass) and measure all with no flexibility if it is at all overlarge, even if it is a soft bag you can jam into the measuring frame.

AT KLIA airport, they often have a set of bathroom scales for weighing cabin baggage as you enter the passenger lounge and charge a lot for extra kgs.  A nice little earner.  However, I read that the overhead compartments are designed for 7kg per person.  There are frequently heated arguments with overloaded passengers taking up more than their share of space.

20 hours ago, wgdanson said:

British Airways allow 2 bags each UP TO 23KG. Can you imagine trying to lift those into the overhead lockers.

Yes, I remember when this came out a few years ago. I think at the time the airline stated that the crew were not to assist passengers to lift heavy bags into the overheads. If you cannot put it in the bin it gets checked into the hold. What I would be more worried about is the injuries these heavy bags would make should they fall out.:sad:

20 hours ago, wgdanson said:

British Airways allow 2 bags each UP TO 23KG. Can you imagine trying to lift those into the overhead lockers.

Yes and I do it all the time. What you fail to mention is that the 2 bags are restricted in size, I cant be bothered to look up the dimensions. One of the bags is only just big enough to be a laptop bag.

I have always found AA to be pretty flexible on this question. However it would be wise to remember two things.

i) If you carry on something visibly oversized or grossly overweight you will have problems and

ii) If you are pulled up for it you are in the wrong so grin and bear it without making a fuss and delaying other passengers.

Why do people always want to know "what they can get away with" .

There are published weights and limits. Either you are within in them or not. If not, adjust and be prepared to pay accordingly.

When you are making a domestic flight in Thailand and have overweight luggage, consider sending the overweight luggage by ThaiPost.  In most airports ThaiPost have an office (e.g. at Suvarnabhumi it is located on the departures level at the end of row 24) and ThaiPost is amazingly efficient, service-minded and cheap.  Sending 13 kilo domestic will cost approx 300 THB (including the strong cardboard box), and it will be delivered next day or day after at the destination (no need to opt for the slightly more expensive EMS service, as the regular service is very fast as well).  I often do this when I arrive in BKK with Emirates which allows 30 kg luggage, but my connecting flight with a domestic carrier typically only allows 15 kg, and it would cost substantially more to pay for the overweight than having it send by ThaiPost.  Additional advantage being that you can travel on lighter as the overweight package will be deliverd by ThaiPost at your destination of choice.

I have seen them reject carry ons bigger than the test rig. I once had a small carry on and had a couple bottles essential oil bigger than the allowed size in it. I was told to check the bag in. Went to counter and they wanted 900 baht so the oils went in the bin.

You have a much better chance to get through with a small bag that weighs 10 kgs than with a oversized bag that is under 7kg.Never seen them weigh small bags, but seen heated arguments with Chinese passengers that had visibly oversized bags But I also often see people get through unhindered with bags that look way too big for the cabin. 

I usually travel with 15kg cabin luggage.

Just do not show the bag at checkin to the idiots, then you carry what you want in the plane.

Very easy and very funny that some people still follow and respect these stupid rules made by idiots.

Can you spot 3 cm difference and by the way, the volume seems to be the same.
Therefore I wouldn't worry at all.
I've flew low cost airlines more than 20 times the last year and they never checked or weigh my hand luggage.

On 3/4/2019 at 1:05 PM, wgdanson said:

I just paid Bht 300 for 15kg. P'lok to D Mueng.

Yes, AirAsia can give you a specific answer....56 x 36 x 23.

Yes I understand that, it's posted and very clear.

I was answering from the point of view that nobody (other than the AIrAsia staff on duty) would know if you would get away with a luggage piece bigger than the posted dimensions. 

10 hours ago, jimn said:

Yes and I do it all the time. What you fail to mention is that the 2 bags are restricted in size, I cant be bothered to look up the dimensions. One of the bags is only just big enough to be a laptop bag.

British airways hand luggage allowance is 

1 handbag/laptop bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 40 x 30 x 15cm / 16 x 12 x 6in)

plus

1 additional cabin bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18 x 10in)

At the boarding gate Air Asia has a set of scales and a basket to check if your hand luggage exceeds their max sizes or weight

54 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

British airways hand luggage allowance is 

1 handbag/laptop bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 40 x 30 x 15cm / 16 x 12 x 6in)

plus

1 additional cabin bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18 x 10in)

At the boarding gate Air Asia has a set of scales and a basket to check if your hand luggage exceeds their max sizes or weight

Vinny, thanks for looking that up for me, as I said I couldnt be bothered to look it up. I only double check it before I fly to make sure I comply.

Archived