Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

That's interesting. In the world news threads people are saying that people are claiming asylum and walking all the way to the USA from some of these places. It is said people are literally afraid for their lives.

I guess things must not be that rough? Everybody I know who has gone to Central America has said it is pretty rough. My friend was born down there and has land there and you can not walk the streets at night in a small town. 

Here is the consular sheet on Columbia.... Level 2

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Colombia.html

Honduras level 3 reconsider

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Honduras.html

Mexico level 2

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Mexico.html

Belize Level 2

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Belize.html

Guatemala level 2

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Guatemala.html

Ecuador is normal

Peru is normal

Thailand level 1 normal

Argentina is normal

So saying that the danger is just in people's minds seems a little bit optimistic. "Columbia is cool other than express kidnappings by people dressed like police at the airport it's really nice"

But whatever anybody that thinks Central and South America are as safe as Thailand can suit themselves.

Again it is location specific including locations within countries. I have not suggested expatriation to certain countries such as Honduras, El Salvador. Guatamala, Nicaragua, Brazil, and Venezuela. As far as popular Mexico that has about a million Americans living there I would suggest choosing your city and neighborhood carefully. The two on top of my list are considered the safest in Mexico easily safer than most American big cities. I am also curious about Morelia which is in a violent general region Michoacan but I have read the city itself is safe enough for expats. However I definitely see it as a riskier choice. As far as some of the many Mexican places I've already beenI felt Guadalajara for example was too risky for me but I would consider the old town part of Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta as safe enough if I could afford it. People have different risk tolerances. I have lived in some not so safe US city Latino neighborhoods so I guess my tolerance for risk might be higher than yours.

Cheers

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As I mentioned in post 136, re-locating and re-establishig oneself in a new country may easily cost the equivalent of the 800K Baht required for a retirement extension in Thailand (travel, legal-fees, furniture, car etc etc). Those monies will have to be invested (gone), while the Thai "extension money" will still be here.
As I gather, OP is not pleased by the "volatile" Visa-situation in Thailand. Understandably and he is not the only one.

BUT: Even in SA Countries Visa Requirements can change. (As has happened in certain countries). OP is likely to find himself in a future "volatile" visa situation, resembling Thailand. As Expats, we have no lobby in any country that stands up for "Expats-Rights".

As I understand it, OP leads a comfortable life in Pattaya, owning his own 4 walls, enjoying the phantastic international cuisine present in Pattaya plus the "liberal life style". I doubt if OP would find such a combinaton of "ideal circumstances" in ANY SA country.
Therefore, next to visa-issues, OP may have other reasons fuelling his strong desire to leave Thailand. But that's none of my business. And noboby elses, I find.

Mexico is technically North America.
I've been to BA some years ago. Went for a morning walk, like dawn twilight, the park down near the Marina and Rio Plate? was unkempt, and scores of expensive dogs, many large breeds, Malamutes etc,  once pets, running feral. Kinda put me off Argentina. Also a skinny horse pulling a cart along, so heartbreaking. Argentina has been hurting forever.

The nightlife, though -if you have a Argentine expat buddy, just woah!
Yes of course Mexico is geographically in North America. Never said otherwise. But it is also included as a Latin American nation. In fact one of the most important ones.

Thailand is very safe. Unless you are obviously drunk and looking for trouble. I would MUCH rather walk through Bangkok at 2am than London, New York or Amsterdam! Mexico is also very safe for tourists as long as you avoid the areas which they tell you to avoid. I've got a mate who lives near Whitechapel, and he refuses to go out after dark because so many of his friends have been mugged.

London, however - there seems to be a fatal stabbing every day now. I wouldn't think twice about moving to Belize if I had the chance, great weather, friendly people and tasty food.

Edited by pr9spk
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, swissie said:

As I mentioned in post 136, re-locating and re-establishig oneself in a new country may easily cost the equivalent of the 800K Baht required for a retirement extension in Thailand (travel, legal-fees, furniture, car etc etc). Those monies will have to be invested (gone), while the Thai "extension money" will still be here.
As I gather, OP is not pleased by the "volatile" Visa-situation in Thailand. Understandably and he is not the only one.

BUT: Even in SA Countries Visa Requirements can change. (As has happened in certain countries). OP is likely to find himself in a future "volatile" visa situation, resembling Thailand. As Expats, we have no lobby in any country that stands up for "Expats-Rights".

As I understand it, OP leads a comfortable life in Pattaya, owning his own 4 walls, enjoying the phantastic international cuisine present in Pattaya plus the "liberal life style". I doubt if OP would find such a combinaton of "ideal circumstances" in ANY SA country.
Therefore, next to visa-issues, OP may have other reasons fuelling his strong desire to leave Thailand. But that's none of my business. And noboby elses, I find.

It seems to me boredom and wanderlust are getting to people these days. When I was leaving Thailand I went through all of the usual lists of these places and just couldn't see it being much better. Also the food in these places seems pretty bland if not just out right bad.

Aside from that the more we all scan it doesn't turn up any real new candidate countries. JT's pick of Queretaro is one of the few that actually seem like it might be enjoyable. Lima Peru... not so much. 

So that brings us to is it affordable? Looking at Numbeo (which you really have to read between the lines or you can make it seem cheap or expensive.)

I am not going to bother breaking down the prices but actually many of the prices listed are much cheaper in Queretaro it seems. Food, drink, place to rent all cheaper there. Taxis are a bit higher but that's about it. Although it is worth noting the cheapest food isn't as cheap as Pattaya.

I am guessing a big if for many is if they can sell what they have In Thailand. Anyway if I am American and have not decided yet I would overwhelmingly choose Mexico at this point. So long as I can afford to live in a place that isn't dangerous. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, swissie said:

Good point and if your only reason for leaving/not choosing Thailand is the Visa hassles then that money may be better spent on an Elite Visa (800k gets you 10 years, 1 Million gets you 20 years).

As somebody who has been planning/dreaming of moving to Thailand since I 1st visited > 10 years ago, I'm not so worried about the finance side of things, it just feels like there are more & more hoops that you need to jump through nowadays and they're getting smaller & smaller.

TM30 is a particular concern of mine as I love to travel & am rarely in the same location for 2 consecutive weekends, I haven't bothered to do one yet (still working in Singapore but visit for 4-5 days a couple of times a month - NB I rent a condo in BKK, so cannot rely on a hotel submitting it for me)  so might be something of nothing but I would choose elsewhere if it really came down to having to re-report my address every time I returned from spending the night somewhere else.

Added to that Latin America fascinates me & thinking more about it:-

• I love beef (Though really love spicy food so would need to zest it up)
  • I love wine (Argentinian/Chile is perfectly quaffable)
  • I love the Latina ladies (which is why I prefer Southern Filipinas (VIsayas) girls over Thai - Just a personal preference)

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Small Joke said:

So would an interview with you sound something like this? ????

Name: Autosexuality.

Appearance: Beautiful, fun, charming, attractive, sexy. Like me.

If you don’t mind me saying so, you seem pretty pleased with yourself. Yes, I am, thanks.

It’s like you think you’re all that. I certainly do.

Wow. You’re really quite full of yourself, aren’t you? I wish.

Look, I’m trying to insult you. Will you please just act wounded? No can do. I’m too happy.

Why? Because I’m head over heels in love.

With whom? With me.

Wait. Who’s in love with you? I am.

What? My orientation happens to be autosexual.

What do you mean? Like a sexy robot? No, not like a sexy robot.

Or does it mean you get aroused by cars, like Jeremy Clarkson? It means that I am sexually attracted to myself.

How does that even work? Well, I usually start by lighting a few candles and checking I’ve got fresh batteries. Then …

Stop. If you’re talking about masturbation, everybody does that. I hear. Autosexuality is different from autoeroticism. It’s more about masturbating to the idea of yourself.

I’m afraid the distinction is lost on me. You might, for example, be turned on by your own nudity. In my case I’m also autoromantic – I literally love myself.

What are you talking about? I mean I get butterflies in my stomach when I think about me.

No you don’t. Yes I do. I go on dates with myself and buy myself romantic gifts.

If you love yourself so much, why don’t you marry yourself? I may. The writer Ghia Vitale got engaged to herself in 2017, and plans a self-wedding at some point.

Credit to: The Guardian UK

lol, no i'm merely turned off and grossed out so hard

so i wont expose myself to that level of misery again.

as for my desire to be a citizen in a warm country, whats not to like about it ?

i'm not flexible to move within a weeks notice due to an ailing body,

i want a predictable future,

thailand dont offer that

Edited by brokenbone

3 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

It seems to me boredom and wanderlust are getting to people these days. When I was leaving Thailand I went through all of the usual lists of these places and just couldn't see it being much better. Also the food in these places seems pretty bland if not just out right bad.

Aside from that the more we all scan it doesn't turn up any real new candidate countries. JT's pick of Queretaro is one of the few that actually seem like it might be enjoyable. Lima Peru... not so much. 

So that brings us to is it affordable? Looking at Numbeo (which you really have to read between the lines or you can make it seem cheap or expensive.)

I am not going to bother breaking down the prices but actually many of the prices listed are much cheaper in Queretaro it seems. Food, drink, place to rent all cheaper there. Taxis are a bit higher but that's about it. Although it is worth noting the cheapest food isn't as cheap as Pattaya.

I am guessing a big if for many is if they can sell what they have In Thailand. Anyway if I am American and have not decided yet I would overwhelmingly choose Mexico at this point. So long as I can afford to live in a place that isn't dangerous. 

To correct, I haven't been suggesting Lima. I've been to Lima and the neighborhoods you'd want to live there are rather expensive for housing. The city that I think shows promise there is Arequipa. The initial visa needs to be applied for in Lima and that takes some time so it seems to me people just arriving might be better off renting something temporary in Lima to start. Then if successful move elsewhere.

To the point that relocating to Latin America from Thailand could cost 800K baht, well, I suppose it could in some cases.

However, I don't think it usually would cost that much. 

Many people would need to first visit their home country for practical reasons. They might need to get some documents there or do some business at a Latin American nation embassy if that's useful or needed for that country rather than the embassy in Thailand. A stay like that in a western home country if you don't have a place there to crash could be quite costly.

Airfares of course.

Renting an apartment. Renting an apartment in some Latin American countries other than an AirBandB or overpriced holiday rental is generally not as casual as in Thailand. Some nations there have cosigner requirements. You won't have cosigners. So you need to negotiate and might need to put down a six month deposit. Now if you're rent is 400 USD monthly that's not the end of the world but it's still money.

Furniture? Yes if you rent an unfurnished place. I can't see that costing much more than 5,000 USD for an apartment if you shop wisely at all. 

Visa process. Yes in some cases you might need a lawyer. I guess we're talking 2,000 USD max for the entire process. Just a rough guess, could be lower or higher. But if that's for a permanent residence it's a one off expense.

Documents? Might you need to fly back to Thailand or home country to get a new document or pay for expensive expediting services? Possibly. Potentially thousands of dollars, or nothing if you're well prepared and lucky.

Food? You need to eat anyway.

Buying a car? 

Well I suppose but if you're like me and would intentionally choose a location not needing a car, then nothing. Otherwise if you had a car in Thailand you have that money after sale to apply for another car.

So I guess, do the math and make some guestimates.

It's actually a fair point that relocating would be costly. 

But even if you justify staying to avoid that, you still are subject to all the onerous rules here, the predictable future negative changes, and the certainty that there will NEVER be a path towards permanent residence in Thailand based on retirement status.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

To correct, I haven't been suggesting Lima. I've been to Lima and the neighborhoods you'd want to live there are rather expensive for housing. The city that I think shows promise there is Arequipa. The initial visa needs to be applied for in Lima and that takes some time so it seems to me people just arriving might be better off renting something temporary in Lima to start. Then if successful move elsewhere.

I was just throwing Lima out as an example. Ecuador and Peru in their entirety sound pretty boring to me. Colombia sounds too dicey still.  Also the food isn't of interest to me in these places. That is sort of a big deal. 

What might bother me about some of these areas is if you find a pocket but travel isn't safe to wider sections of the country or region. Part of the appeal of SE Asia is that you can tour around so easily. That's where Mexico is appealing easy access to explore America which is one of the most varied and beautiful countries in the world.

So I stick with my opinion that out of these the best option is Mexico. The others are scraping the barrel a little too hard. Although for me I have enough of the edgy third world living so not planning on a foray to any of this places except maybe to visit.

• Like 2

I was just throwing Lima out as an example. Ecuador and Peru in their entirety sound pretty boring to me. Colombia sounds too dicey still.  Also the food isn't of interest to me in these places. That is sort of a big deal. 

What might bother me about some of these areas is if you find a pocket but travel isn't safe to wider sections of the country or region. Part of the appeal of SE Asia is that you can tour around so easily. That's where Mexico is appealing easy access to explore America which is one of the most varied and beautiful countries in the world.

So I stick with my opinion that out of these the best option is Mexico. The others are scraping the barrel a little too hard. Although for me I have enough of the edgy third world living so not planning on a foray to any of this places except maybe to visit.
Whatever works for you. An ideal destination for one person is a recipe for unhappiness for others.

I also consider Mexico a fine choice but only in a limited number of locations. I like the proximity to the US but I doubt if I lived in Mexico that I would go there at all often.

I share your concern about boring and bland food in Colombia and Ecuador. But not Peru. Have you been there? Food is one of the top reasons people travel to and live in Peru. It's amazing.

I am also pretty certain availability of goods would be much better and cheaper than the countries further from the border.
Depends on what kinds of goods. Colombia leadership is very pro capitalist and free trade. Mexico on the other hand just elected a left wing populist with sympathy for Maduro.

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's a joke right?
I haven't checked their rules lately.
If someone wants to post recent credible info please do.
However personally the place impressed me as too unstable. Always from one financial crisis to another. Fun as a tourist. Maybe not so great living there.

No joke.  Visas prices are listed in Pesos and the currency has dropped 50% vs USD and is still going down I think. 

No joke.  Visas prices are listed in Pesos and the currency has dropped 50% vs USD and is still going down I think. 
I just looked up the retirement visa application for Argentina and it sounds like a serious Pita. Most of them are quite difficult but theirs borders on insane.

Sharing that --

http://cnyor.mrecic.gov.ar/en/node/2256

People getting social security benefits don't receive paper checks these days! It's done by direct deposit.

Also can anyone state the actual current income requirement for Argentina. It's hard to believe they haven't adjusted it from USD 50 monthly even though it's quoted in pesos. On the other hand, maybe they haven't, which would show a level of dysfunctionality not surprising from that nation. 

6.  PROOF of INCOME. In the case of a retired person, a copy of act for which the applicant was awarded with the retirement benefit or pension together with copies of the last three (3) paystubs duly authenticated by Notary Public and County Clerk and legalized by the Hague Apostille. In addition pension funds must be banked and come from the social security system in the country of origin.All documents must be translated into Spanish by a translator or agency, and be accompanied by a “certification of accuracy” and must be authenticated by the Hague Apostille or by the corresponding argentine Consulate abroad.

This may be a bit too American specific but I reckon other nationalities that don't offer very generous pensions may relate as well.

The context of this thread geographically includes Thailand, all Latin American nations, and also in the background our home countries which we can all legally live in if we want to or need to.

Many people seem very concerned about safety issues in Latin America. Some are probably too afraid to visit.

There is a general and well founded consensus that Thailand enjoys very low risk for random street crimes, muggings, etc. (But has other dangers that are unusually high such as traffic fatalities, etc.) 

But some of us are going to be leaving Thailand. For those on lower level pensions, for example an average U.S. social security check, if repatriating back home if you don't have housing there you already own and/or massive savings (100K USD saved if you're already old won't come even close to cutting it but will qualify you for permanent residency in Mexico).

Yes if of working age and potential, you can still earn money but many people already retired have very limited or no income potential. 

But talking about those that need to live mostly on lower pensions and not massive savings, without owned housing, where exactly do you think you're going to be living in the USA or other western countries? Do you expect it will be a decent, clean place in a good and safe neighborhood? Seems very unlikely to me.

On that same pension there are numerous choices in Latin America where you can live in a safe, nice neighborhood, without need for a car, and money left over to eat out daily or whatever else makes you happy within reason of course. 

Yes, I definitely am suggesting and I think it's the truth, that for those on limited income it would easier, maybe even much easier to arrange a safe and pleasant living situation in Latin America than their own home countries. Yes, of course there are roadblocks -- the language issue and getting over the visa hurdle and others. But if you're living on a lower pension, sorry to break the news … you are a poor person, and nobody promised things will be easy for poorer people.

But if you move to a nation where the average income is less than 500 USD a month as one example then voila you become at least middle class over there. Magic? 

Some have called this type of thing geographical arbitrage. Many of us have been doing that in Thailand of course. It's not only available in Thailand and Latin America … but this topic of course is limited to the nations of Latin America. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

for me, the part of caribbean that belongs to france

meaning auto-citizenship on grounds of eu member is so obvious so its the only place.

i dont hate thailand, if there was no visa hassle, i'd stay

since relocation is hassle & pain, but alas.

ditto if i were american, i'd pick american turf in a heartbeat

just for citizenship

Edited by brokenbone

Just now, watgate said:

I realize this is about Latin America but was wondering why American and Canadian and maybe some other expats from other countries haven't retired in Florida?

I have two ex wives that live there.  Makes it one of the most dangerous places in North and South America. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Boomhauer said:

I used to live in Buenos Aires. Fascinating place with gorgeous women, and some of the best cuisine on the planet! Highly recommend.

Since the currency is in hyper inflation mode where would you keep your money?  Dosen't it freak you a little to think that in a few weeks no one in Argentina may have enough money to buy a loaf of bread?

Edited by marcusarelus

8 minutes ago, Boomhauer said:

I used to live in Buenos Aires. Fascinating place with gorgeous women, and some of the best cuisine on the planet! Highly recommend.

Yes indeed-a night out in the Plaza Publico watching the couples dance the tango was a little slice of heavan..

As was listening to the "beating the retreat" at the Puerto del Sol in Madrid...same culture I guess..

For great liveable cities..Lisbon,Barcelona,Montevideo,Buenas Aires and (special passion)Santiago-Talca-Valparaiso (Chile)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes indeed-a night out in the Plaza Publico watching the couples dance the tango was a little slice of heavan..

As was listening to the "beating the retreat" at the Puerto del Sol in Madrid...same culture I guess..

For great liveable cities..Lisbon,Barcelona,Montevideo,Buenas Aires and (special passion)Santiago-Talca-Valparaiso (Chile)

I know I'm not much of a romantic but what do you fellows suggest doing about the hyperinflation in Buenos Aires? 

Edited by marcusarelus

On 3/5/2019 at 6:38 AM, Jingthing said:

I hear you and my answer is no. Others are free to quote in Thai baht. I think for Latin America, it's more standard to quote in dollars. A number of the nations are even fully dollarized. 

But this forum caters for all people who visit or live in the LOS.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Just remembered a little story from my time there ( mid 90’s ????

A couple of Puerto Rican colleagues were out on the town and well oiled!!
Hailed a cab and asked the driver to take them to a good bar for 1 last drink .
He drove around for 10/15 minutes then stopped outside one place that looked to be buzzing .
They paid, went inside and to their amazement found he had dropped them at the back door of the same bar !!

Think of Santiago as the world and that bar as Thailand and you have the end result of this thread.

• Haha 2

Regarding crime and safety I would think buddhist countries are more safe than countries with a different religion. That's just an observation. 

In countries where catholics are very dominant it's more crime and the safety levels goes down. The Phillippines is a good example. 

And compare that with S-America, I would probably not walk out late at night alone in any city there without worrying about my safety, like I can do here in Thailand.  

So this is actually a big issue if you consider to relocate. You need to prepare for a different life. 

Edited by balo