Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

It turns out "Jerry Brown's Travels" didn't really having anything of any substance about their tease about Medicare availability in Mexico. I would have been shocked if it had been something real. Oh well! 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What some 60 years old 2 times divorced woman from Sheffield not good enough for you? 🤣 We all know why we are in Asia. The culture. 

there is zero chance of me riding my motorcycle ALONE all over anywhere south of the USA border.   Travel Thailand alone no problems anywhere. 32,000 kilometers worth of motorcycle road trip

I stayed in Rio 2 months and got robbed at knife point twice, in broad daylight. Not to mention all those times i managed to escape. Been in Bangkok 15 years, so far no such incident. I love Rio, wond

Posted Images

Argentina has just got even cheaper. Peso down v. US% about 15 % after falling as low as 30 % down.

"Argentine President Mauricio Macri vowed on Monday to win a second term despite a surprisingly strong performance by the opposition in the primary election that set off a shockwave through markets, crashing the peso currency and sending stocks and bonds tumbling.

Macri said he would "reverse" the result of Sunday's primary, but acknowledged that a weaker peso triggered by the surge in support for Peronist opposition candidate Alberto Fernandez and his running mate former President Cristina Fernandez would fuel inflation.

The peso closed 15% weaker at 53.5 per U.S. dollar after plunging some 30% to a record low earlier in the day after the primary election prompted market fears over Argentina's potential return to the interventionist economics of the previous government.

Refinitiv data showed Argentine stocks, bonds and the peso had not recorded this kind of simultaneous fall since the South American country's 2001 economic crisis and debt default."

Source reuters, via IG Index,

Steak chips and wine for dinner everyday ?

Could suit a young nomad with a high risk tolerance.

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

To me it's a last resort. At least no visa required.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hi Jingthing,

It's only my perspective,  but I think there is a very strong likelihood Thailand will follow most other countries in the near future,  and require both monthly pension income and a cash amount on deposit.  

I just don't think we are in for a more kind and accepting immigration experience in the future.   The ways of the past and the world are rapidly changing.  

I remember long ago when England and France started requirements for medical insurance.   Everything we are witnessing unfold in Asian immigration has already happened in other countries. 

Where is the real problem? It's our home countries not having reasonable systems to allow a decent life if on limited funds.

I'm afraid running to a foreign country for a better life may become a thing of the past.....

Yes, I am trying to have a decent exit plan from Thailand should it come to that. At my level, Latin America sounds much better for quality of life compared to the U.S. I don't fancy cat food or sleeping rough.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, keemapoot said:

Even for the wealthy, I think having a plan to return home makes sense.

The wealthy do not often need an exit plan, since homes are owned on multiple continents.  It is the poor pensioner that often leaves scorched earth behind them.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, I am trying to have a decent exit plan from Thailand should it come to that. At my level, Latin America sounds much better for quality of life compared to the U.S. I don't fancy cat food or sleeping rough.

Obviously we all have different levels of savings or investments, health concerns or family or personal interests, but in my thinking the issue of a major health event or perhaps onset of dementia or alzheimers requiring companion care and/or expensive medical care are the end game issues that one should consider in this connection. For that reason, US citizens should probably consider medicare and medicare b as backup, and eventually living back there perhaps, unless you have a devoted younger partner.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

The wealthy do not often need an exit plan, since homes are owned on multiple continents.  It is the poor pensioner that often leaves scorched earth behind them.

How wealthy is wealthy? It can cost millions for organ transplants, cancer treatments, long term assisted care, etc..

1 hour ago, keemapoot said:

How wealthy is wealthy? It can cost millions for organ transplants, cancer treatments, long term assisted care, etc..

I'm thinking if self pay, even in Thailand.   Probably at least 2 million USA dollars on hand.

8 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

I'm thinking if self pay, even in Thailand.   Probably at least 2 million USA dollars on hand.

Yup, I agree with you, and it makes more sense to go back to states for serious prolonged treatments in that case, using medicare.

Just one other addition.  One of my biggest mistakes was trying to go from Thailand to Latin America.   It was just more then I could manage.   Coming back to the USA has been a challenge,  but I am finally on track to have some stability here and repair my finances. 

A friend of mine who lives in Las Vegas,  a few years older is considering moving to Columbia.  Just got off the phone with him, and we may go down together in December to explore and check it out.

I don't know how many of you remember back 7-8 months ago I started a topic about joining forces to move possibly to Cambodia.  I got hammered severely,  accused of being a homo, and more.

Folks, I'll say this again.   We don't have to face these challenges alone.  I have done so, but as with my old bro Rick from Vegas and I just talked,  we both recognize the value in working together.   Just something to keep in mind.  

PS. We are not getting younger and most governments don't really care, including our own.  If we don't help each other, who will?

Edited by CaptainJack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

That my friend could not have been said any more perfectly. 

6 hours ago, keemapoot said:

Obviously we all have different levels of savings or investments, health concerns or family or personal interests, but in my thinking the issue of a major health event or perhaps onset of dementia or alzheimers requiring companion care and/or expensive medical care are the end game issues that one should consider in this connection. For that reason, US citizens should probably consider medicare and medicare b as backup, and eventually living back there perhaps, unless you have a devoted younger partner.

Yes, I am not there yet, but I plan to pay for whatever add on parts that make sense even though my primary plan is to never repatriate. It seems prudent but of course it's a waste of money if you never repatriate.